Help with PC Building

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by nightwatch, Aug 15, 2014.

1. nightwatch

aa nightwatch

Positive Ratings:
    A friend of mine is looking for a new rig after her Macintosh finally crapped out on her. I convinced her that building a custom machine gets you the most for your money and she asked for help picking out the pieces. She does video editing professionally for a design firm (and also freelance on the side) so it needs to be pretty powerful and able to run some of the heftier artsy programs simultaneously. Think Premiere, Illustrator, Photoshop, etc.

This is what I've picked out so far, but if anyone has any pointers or suggestions I would be glad to hear them.

pcpartpicker

The SSD is one I happen to have lying around, so that's set in stone but the rest is flexible.

Thanks!

2. Freyja

aa Freyja ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Positive Ratings:
    The only thing I'd recommend for a rendering machine where you're running lots of programs simultaneously is bumping up the ram to 16gb. Things like photoshop and that use that a lot and very fast, and adding more ram isn't terribly expensive. The rest seems good (from my limited knowledge), someone else better at this than me can probably make a better comment.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. duppy

duppy L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    You might want to run it by the folks on reddit's /r/buidapc. Looks good to me though...almost similar to the one I built beginning of 2013. Only thing I'd change is the RAM...16 gigs would be best. Those "artsy" programs are quite memory hungry.

Also, you may know this already, but Nvidia should be coming out with new GPUs real soon now (rumor is September). Might be worth waiting for a price drop or the possibility of getting a better GPU for a similar price as the 770 that's on your list.

BTW, I got my i7 3770k for $230, and 32 gigs of G.Skill Ripjaws Z Series RAM for only $106...Black Friday prices :lol: Crazy to see what they're priced at now.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. nightwatch

aa nightwatch

Positive Ratings:
    16GB of ram sounds like a good idea. In fact, I'm not sure why I didn't choose that in the first place because I've always had the feeling that 8GB isn't enough even for some gaming applications.

The high prices you see here are due to a couple reasons :first, I'm Canadian, so I pay ~10% more than American listings in general, and second because I deliberately choose to use newegg exclusively for the least headache and their good customer service. Thanks for the advice!

5. DonutVikingChap

DonutVikingChap L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    These threads seem to be getting popular, glad I finally get to use my computer part expertise for something I guess :)

The general idea of the part choices seemed pretty good! But here is the list with some modifications I made that I thought made better sense with the reasoning after each part:

(Yellow = modified, Green = unmodified)
    I hope this helps, feel free to ask any questions about my part choices and good luck!

• Thanks Thanks x 1