Hardhat

Hardhat B2a

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
I played this map a while ago and I remember it being pretty fun. But, I think the roofs of the middle building are still a bit OP for soldiers or demomen (I'm not sure if you still can get on all the roofs at the middle though? I probably didn't play the last version.) because you kinda had a lot of cover over there (only other soldiers or demomen could kill you, was pretty hard to snipe the soldiers/demomen for snipers on the ground.

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
All classes can now get on the roof, Hanz.

:p

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
Two Heavies were enough to completely rape a team. The map is very closed and Sniper-unfriendly.

This area was barely used. Might as well clip it off.

Remove this medium ammo; there're two medium inside, this one is useless, almost unbalancing.

Also, the walls outside of the spawn areas created a very effective deathpit. That's not as important as the other things I mentioned, but you might want to take a gander at that, too.

P.S.
That poster in front of spawn is fucking stupid; what dipshit made it?

Penguin

aa
May 21, 2009
a5 BUMP

16/7/10
-Added additional deck for snipers
-Added custom posters by Seba
-Added some hidden blue hardhats! Find them all!

Moose

L6: Sharp Member
Nov 4, 2009
I don't see that little sniper deck being used very often, especially the upper floor. I like that it's there, but maybe you should expand it and make it lead somewhere.

Fireman

L4: Comfortable Member
Mar 21, 2008
Seconding moose's comment. The only time i ever used the deck was running away during humiliations. Maybe make it more immediately accessible from spawn?

Penguin

aa
May 21, 2009
Hm, I wonder how I could accomplish that.

Penguin

aa
May 21, 2009
a5a bump + hour and a half straight test bump =)

SlayerBlitz

L3: Member
Dec 3, 2009
loved the map, played it again just a few minutes ago with you and the other peoples, had fun as a pyro, and ect.

I like the second floor on the spawns but that area seems really underused. Maybe you could put a health kit up there. Also the area up there is SUPER open. on that orange area to the left of the spawns, the one that looks kinda like pieces of cheese from above, you could put a sort of sniper box there. maybe raise a waist high wall right there, put a little piece of tin above it, ect. It seems like that area could become a wonderful spot to use, but it seemed way to open to use effectively.

It seems like whichever team builds in the middle automatically won, since the main focus of the map is the middle building. Maybe you could put windows on the sides to allow demos to lob bombs in, or completely shut off the middle building from players until the point is active.

Not being in the building felt like being in a death trap, seeing as enemies could come from 3 or 4 directions at any moment. Maybe you could add another building somewhere, or open up the area below the point, so that no matter where you are on the ground area, you can run inside.

Also, and this isn't a big deal, where the health kits are now, the ones left and right of the middle, could you put a ramp going up onto the middle building from the health kits? it was frustrating trying to get back up on the middle building, and that seemed like a better option then running around in the ground area.

Penguin

aa
May 21, 2009
As it stands I am unsure if I should keep the route to the deck roof from the deck.

Thematically, I have no idea what I'd do with it, and ifeel like it allows you access to the roof too quickly.

I have onle last idea for it, which will be in a5c, but if I'm still displeased with that I might just remove it alltogether.

moved.png

As you can see, I flipped the ramp.

Stink Horse

L2: Junior Member
Aug 1, 2009
Hey Penguin, I know this sort of goes against the currently beloved speed of the map, but have you considered pulling the spawns back from the center point? Or possibly moving them to the corner to their direct left? This would make that overlook on the center building less of an elevated death dealer. It would also increase the time a team has to reach the center. Right now it feels immediate, almost instantaneous and gives the feeling of the building being built in a sink hole thanks to the walls. That extra space could also give the teams a chance to make use of snipers.

Another suggestion could be to raise the height of the lower floor so it doesnt feel like the center has such a height advantage. I'm wrestling with the same problem in Overpass right now.

Exist

L6: Sharp Member
Oct 31, 2009
Going to remind you of a few things.

-Put the blue hardhats in their own visgroup for final release. It's pretty silly in the first place that people would place them under rocks in warzones.

-Pakrat!

-Might want to change the texture choice in the spawns, wood under concrete isn't how you make a building

-Some how make the roof less OP. Every time I'm capping the point, I find myself fumbling to look at the 5 entry points

-Spice it up =) Put a little rusty spytech by the point.

I love the arena game mode. I'm not a fan of long 5 cp matches. PLEASE, do not try to make this map longer.

Penguin

aa
May 21, 2009
there is no wood in my spawns, what are you talking about.

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
He's probably talking about whatever material is under computerwall, which looks just damn silly.

Also: update your download.

Doppler12

L1: Registered
Sep 10, 2009
I rather enjoyed this map on a impromtu test.
One of few arena maps I enjoyed playing in what seems like forever.
I don't feel like I'm constantly in great mortal peril as a medic, though I did feel like there needed to more than 2 medkits.

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
He's probably talking about whatever material is under computerwall, which looks just damn silly.

Also: update your download.

What? You mean the concrete brick texture?

Penguin

aa
May 21, 2009
Everyone says that, but there are in fact 3 medkits on this map.

Seba: As I had stated, I'm doing the very fine tuning at this point in time, so I don't think it would be practical to upload a5a, a5b, a5c...

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
Nerd: I don't have anything above a4, and I don't remember much from what was linked in chat. It might be bricks, might not; I don't remember.

Peng: Ah, sorry.

Penguin

aa
May 21, 2009
stupid_sexy_spawn_2.png

Here is the spawn in question.

Last edited:

Bermuda Cake

L9: Fashionable Member
Feb 20, 2009
really enjoyed hardhat from our 3v3 test. I like the different layers, the bottom offering sneaky routes and the middle area offering a bit more power over the bottom.