HeaH

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Oct 2, 2008
That map is 3 years old, I don't think it matters

Wilson

Boomer by Sleep
aa
May 4, 2010
Also, find me one server, or even person who ever heard about it. (People who saw link and map author don't count.)

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
I don't know if this could be considered feedback, but I don't think the gates to the point opened once today. Either make them open sooner, or expand the map to alle-wait. You don't want the point to get capped. You want people to kill each other, or so I assume from the OP. You sneaky snake you.

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
bump for a2 justice

7/7/10-
-Added stairwell on the sides
-Added route to access the roof by all classes
-Shortened cap wait
-Added nobuild inside spawns to avoid teleporter exploit
-Added slight team coloration to indicate sides

Last edited:

Stink Horse

L2: Junior Member
Aug 1, 2009
Map feels pretty good. Arena isnt really my forte, but the action felt very immediate which I presume is good and the layout encouraged intelligent doubling back to get the drop on pairs of distracted heavies.

Of note:
-The map seems like a non event for snipers. There just isn't enough wide space to encourage the use of one. I don't know if this is something you want to fix, or can fix without destabilizing the careful layout you have now.

- Theres a space with enough room for maybe one body to the left of the stairs out the left hand spawn door. Is this intended? The only use I can see for it is an ambush point. The problem with that is by the time an ambush class has carefully snuck in there the point is open and everyone is beelining for it. I would honestly say you should remove it in my opinion.

-Finally there was a space under the ramps inside the cap room. Seems superfluous but someone could wedge themselves in there. Why? I don't know, but the slow nature of doing so seems weird and I'd honestly say you should just fill them in. You can use them as storage space for accent items later.

Hope this helps.

Penguin

aa
May 21, 2009
Thank you very much for the in-depth feedback.

Orignially I saw the crawl space next to the stairs as a place for either pyros or spies to hide, but it clearly isn't effective. I'll fill it in.

Same goes for the crawl space under the ramps.

Gerbil

aa
Feb 6, 2009
Map's good cap'n. Loving the height variation!

The map is very very small. It makes it easy for scouts to get quick kills because more stationary players (engineer, sniper) don't move that much forward before they get to them. Maybe add a detour or extra pathways for people to go to make the map a bit bigger.

Mar 23, 2010
I honestly can't see much to add with it playing just fine right now and how small it is. although you do have some extra space next to spawns......

More health for sure

but its arena.

h3r1n6

L4: Comfortable Member
Sep 7, 2009
What I like about the layout is that while going for the height advantage seems like the preferred choice, players aren't too vulnerable to it on the bottom.

I dislike that there are only 2 ways up, and 2 small ones at that, but that kind of has to do with the general size of the map. While I don't see you fitting in an additional path up, you might try to make it a bit wider.

The placement of the large ammo packs is really good on the sides. The location of the small ones is fine too, in a place where I'd expect ammo. What I don't get are the medium ones on the point. The health seems a bit like you just wanted to put health somewhere, maybe overthink the placement a bit, maybe put it where large ammo is and move ammo elsewhere or scrap it as a whole. If it goes though, some water would be appropriate :).

SlayerBlitz

L3: Member
Dec 3, 2009
It seems a bit too small, even for a arena map. I like the whole vertical combat over horizontal combat thing going for the map, but it needs more towerish buildings, maybe connecting to the center building. maybe add another floor to all the other buildings in the map. You could put a staircase in the spawn room that goes up to the floor above it, then keep the spawn door close till the match starts, then leave it open after that. You could put little bridges going from all these new floors heading to the center building. Just a suggestion, the map seems really good so far.

Penguin

aa
May 21, 2009
Thank you!

In other news, I'm unsure of how to detail this.

Dustbowl seems dated.

Fireman

L4: Comfortable Member
Mar 21, 2008
I rather like how all the action is focused on the middle, rather than being spread out all over. It makes for some nice, fast matches.

Penguin

aa
May 21, 2009
A4 Bump

7/1410-
-Added sideroute to the left.
-Gave snipers some usefulness.
-Added beam above the cap with additional healthkit.

Stink Horse

L2: Junior Member
Aug 1, 2009
Nice improvements Penguin. I really dont have a lot to offer other than suggesting you might consider lowering the two ground level walls just a bit (the one's with health on them. Reason being the have health on them and right now it's possible to drop down to get it then hop back up. This is likely the intended play, so take my suggestion with a grain of salt, but if the player can't get back up without a bit of distance than suddenly that health is a serious choice the player has to make, and dilemmas can make for good strategic game play.

Other than that I might consider blocking one or two of the spaces between the posts on your new sniper deck as well as adding a set of jumpable blocks to get up to the rock it connects to. The cover would give snipers a smidge of cover and force them to fire from specific points (allowing you to direct their firing lines better). The boxes up the rock would allow spies an alternate route up to them to face stab them.

Finally, please pull some of the rock under the new sniper deck or give it some bracing supports. Looking at it gives me vertigo at the moment.

Penguin

aa
May 21, 2009
Stink, you give the very best feedback.