CP Glacier RC6

Jan 31, 2008
Here's a more recent image of cap A, as seen in alpha 20:

cp_glacier_a200002.jpg

Dr. Spud

Grossly Incandescent
aa
Mar 23, 2009
I know you're probably not focusing on graphics right now, but in the future you might want to make it a little more snowy. Right now it's only sort of snowy, but if you're going to make this new theme you should go all-out. Especially since all the ice around the other capture points is strange when it's next to dirty half-thawed areas.

You might also consider replacing some of the plain compound walls or rock walls with dense trees. You could pack them together pretty thick with a skybox wall behind.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2008
I know you're probably not focusing on graphics right now, but in the future you might want to make it a little more snowy. Right now it's only sort of snowy, but if you're going to make this new theme you should go all-out. Especially since all the ice around the other capture points is strange when it's next to dirty half-thawed areas.

You might also consider replacing some of the plain compound walls or rock walls with dense trees. You could pack them together pretty thick with a skybox wall behind.

I'm not sure I want to even the theme out.
Making all cap zones look unique is something I'm trying to do to make the map more varied and interesting to play on. I really like the look at A, the way it has been melting for a while. I don't like the look of B or C though, but they're different.
It's not really possible to have all areas make sense when put in the same map. Like you say; B looks alot colder than A.

Void

Local Man Unable To Map, Sources Say
aa
Sep 14, 2008
Played it with my dad a few days ago on one of the Calculated Chaos servers until someone sprayed a Hentai spray in the corner of my eye and I shimmied out to a different server. Awkward, you know?

Anyways, fun map. I love all the CPs and their locale. Plays great. Seems balanced although C was much harder to Cap.

Jan 31, 2008
Played it with my dad a few days ago on one of the Calculated Chaos servers until someone sprayed a Hentai spray in the corner of my eye and I shimmied out to a different server. Awkward, you know?

Anyways, fun map. I love all the CPs and their locale. Plays great. Seems balanced although C was much harder to Cap.

Is the most recent playtests I've been joinint, it seems like blue captured C all the time. Yesterday was the first time I saw it being capped (Since alpha 20).
However, Canard PC's sats show a 1:1 win/loss ratio on glacier alpha 19, which is really nice.

santoriin

L1: Registered
Jun 11, 2008
Is the most recent playtests I've been joinint, it seems like blue captured C all the time. Yesterday was the first time I saw it being capped (Since alpha 20).
However, Canard PC's sats show a 1:1 win/loss ratio on glacier alpha 19, which is really nice.

I've run a19 a whole bunch on my server. It seemed like red had to hold a or b, because c was a losing battle most of the time, much easier than grave c, for example.

(i don't really mind that actually, and the response from my community on glacier has been really positive)

Jan 31, 2008
I've run a19 a whole bunch on my server. It seemed like red had to hold a or b, because c was a losing battle most of the time, much easier than grave c, for example.

(i don't really mind that actually, and the response from my community on glacier has been really positive)

Thanks for hosting it! :)
A couple of questions;
How many players are usually on the server when glacier is tested?
Do you have regulars which are familiar with the map's layout?

santoriin

Jun 11, 2008
Thanks for hosting it! :)
A couple of questions;
How many players are usually on the server when glacier is tested?
Do you have regulars which are familiar with the map's layout?

Depends on time of day, sometimes only 4v4 but often 8-10 a team.

I definitely have a bunch of regulars who know the map's layout.

kirbysamus

Jan 22, 2009
When ever I get on our servers I put this one into play as we're considering into putting it into normal rotation. We've been getting around 28-32 people most of the time. We have a lot of regulars. Normally when we play it, it ususally comes up about 50-50 on the wins and losses. I love The Fort. Escpecially when I get a guy that's never played it into there and I hope out at the last second.

Jan 31, 2008
When ever I get on our servers I put this one into play as we're considering into putting it into normal rotation. We've been getting around 28-32 people most of the time. We have a lot of regulars. Normally when we play it, it ususally comes up about 50-50 on the wins and losses. I love The Fort. Escpecially when I get a guy that's never played it into there and I hope out at the last second.

I'm not sure what to do about the fort for the beta/rc/final versions. It's not really good to have things like that in a serious map, but people really like it.
Might have to make it into a harmless space that looks more natural instead.

santoriin

Jun 11, 2008
I'm not sure what to do about the fort for the beta/rc/final versions. It's not really good to have things like that in a serious map, but people really like it.
Might have to make it into a harmless space that looks more natural instead.

i think you could completely get away with it if it triggered whenever anyone walked in and then reopened, instead of just once for the round. No one complains about sawblades and trains. And its in the respawn, so it doesnt really effect the main battle, and with it like that i'd love to see a round that doesnt start with at least one person self-doming themselves on it for laughs.

then you could even make the signs like "danger: fort know to cause loss of all of your blood" or whatever.

The only thing that really bothers it now is once it closes its like it never was there and people who werent watching have no idea what happened.

captainAngry

L420: High Member
Feb 1, 2009
I played this last night. I was off and on during the match so I don't have a ton of specific feedback, however I did record a demo. WE have played a few versions of this map and have plenty of people that are familiar with it. From what I played, it seemed to play well and it has been rated into our regular rotation.

LunchBox

Jun 13, 2009
I ran through your map and i enjoyed it i thought it looked very nice esp. cp 3 that was very nice :D And i thought this looked great.

Jan 31, 2008
Thanks for the feedback guys :)
I've begun some detailing on B now.
Halfway done or something:

cp_glacier_a220000.jpg

cp_glacier_a220001.jpg

Void

Local Man Unable To Map, Sources Say
aa
Sep 14, 2008
Well once that thing starts melting, bye-bye awesome building!