KotH ghosttown

Discussion in 'Map Factory' started by Aqwertybqwerty, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Aqwertybqwerty

Aqwertybqwerty L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    ghosttown_b1

My first map is finally done ! It took me about 4-5 days to get from conception to a1 with this map (including a day or two of skybox troubles), but anyway, this is a pretty straightforward koth map with a lot of open space around the point. More detail can be found in the maps download page (and of course, by opening it in tf2), but I'd really appreciate some feedback and constructive criticism on this map.

And of course, please report any bugs or reccomendations you have!

UPDATE (as if anyone still looks at this thread lol):
    Watching the source STV demo made quite a few problems apparent; the side churches being useless, the sightlines being grossly OP for snipers, jokingly (or seriously?)accusing me of purposefully making the map terrible, etc. etc. But all the feedback I got was honest, and i'm glad they gave it to me. A few problems I considered meaningless were thrust back in my face, some new ones were brought to light, and some turned out to be less of a problem than I feared. So, without further ado, my future plans before the next test:
    *Add a way to get out of the tunnels (frustrated quite a few people in the test)
    *Add greater significance to the side churches
    *Change all ramps into stairs
    *Severely nerf sniper sightlines (the openness of this map got it compared to CoD and the most criticism, something I certainly want to avoid)
    *Lower some of the height advantage (not specified, but I think it would be a good idea)
    *Add more displacements (help to counter snipers)
    *More detail.Lots of detail.

If anyone has some ideas on how to accomplish these goals (ESPECIALLY nerfing snipers)please comment or shoot me a PM. I really need to overhaul this map,that much has become apparent, and i'll do my best to get the gameplay right!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  2. Wilson

aa Wilson Burial by Sleep

Positive Ratings:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Aqwertybqwerty

Positive Ratings:
    There is? Lol,shoulda searched...well,I can always change the name :p
    EDIT:I'm changing it to koth_ghosttown...search returned no results, so here's hoping :)

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  4. Sergis

aa Sergis L666: ])oo]v[

Positive Ratings:
    are you related to ayesdyef in any way?

5. Aqwertybqwerty

Positive Ratings:
  6. Wilson

Positive Ratings:
    there is PL map called ghost town too, unsure if it is still active tough.
    Still, it is safer to use names that are not taken.

7. Aqwertybqwerty

Positive Ratings:
    Is every map name taken? I'm probably going ahead with the name though, because it's A) a koth map and B) I'm pretty sure that map is inactive, as I couldn't find anything with search. If a dispute arises i'll change it again. Any name ideas besides this one?

Also,noob question, is there any way to change a threads title?

8. Wilson

Positive Ratings:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    You ask a site staff member to do it.

And frankly, highnoon has been used in the past year, choose a name for a map that has been inactive for a year. The author is a college student, so they are probably busy with school.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Sergis

aa Sergis L666: ])oo]v[

Positive Ratings:
    ok, nvm :p

11. Aqwertybqwerty

Positive Ratings:
    Okay, I think namewise i'm finally good (no results showed up for koth_ghosttown in either the tf2maps forums or the tf2stats map search), so if you could change my thread title to koth_ghosttown Fr0Z3n that would be a huge help!

12. Wilson

Positive Ratings:
    There is still pl ghost town by DarkSideOf(Something, that name is way to long) and he tends to appear time to time to do some mapping, it is bit risky move to just go and change the map name to ghost town.

You could always try to contact him tough, if someone manages to find his profile. (I can't, that name really is too long) It worked with Radaka and dusk., so why not here.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Aqwertybqwerty

Positive Ratings:
    Ok, i'll try and contact him if I can find his full name. I'm trying to avoid using other map names, but I really can't think of another fitting name for this map that I like.

UPDATE: I managed to find the author after a quick google search (TheDarkerSideOfYourShadow), and I sent him a PM,so here's hoping.

14. Fr0Z3nR

Positive Ratings:
    Try and contact him, and if you do/when you ask shoot me a pm and I'll change the name.

If you don't get a hold of him within a day or 2, pm me anyways and I'll change the name anyways. But at least you tried.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Aqwertybqwerty

Positive Ratings:
    Well, getting past the name dispute for my map, is there any criticism/suggestions/bugs/general opinions about the map in general? I'd like to get some feedback on how the map plays, so that I can fix any problems right away.

16. Wilson

Positive Ratings:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Fr0Z3nR

Positive Ratings:
    Name changed to koth_ghosttown per authors request.

18. Faux Rhinoceros

aa Faux Rhinoceros Also known as Dr. Element

Positive Ratings:
    The map looks empty and open. You might want to add more structures and such. Remember that TF2 is heavily based on close-quarters and vertical combat.

The textures might also need to get more varried. As well as building details like beams would be nice. One thing i like however is that the battlefield itself is clean of detail-spam :p

• Thanks Thanks x 1