Fun Facts!

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Void, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Void

aa Void Local Man Unable To Map, Sources Say

Positive Ratings:
    Well, everyone loves fun facts, so post what you got!

- There are 1035 func_details in Nucleus, while there are 1465 in it's update ally, Sawmill.

- Goldrush contains 174 path_track entities, while the only other official multi-stage Payload map, Hoodoo, contains 310. That's 78% more path_tracks.

- Hydro contains 1688 displacements.

- Developer Reflectivity Textures can be spotted in Nucleus from where the bridges extend from.

- Pipeline has 256x256 Cubemaps for it's final stage.

- Pipeline only has 29 Cubemaps.

- The combined amount of Badwater's (124) and Pipeline's (148) path_tracks is 38 less than Hoodoo's. Or 13% less.

Gentlemen?

• Thanks Thanks x 8
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  2. Penguin

aa Penguin Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome

Positive Ratings:
    Someone has alltogther too much free time.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Void

Positive Ratings:
    And I only have access to a PC on the weekends...

4. The Political Gamer

aa The Political Gamer

Positive Ratings:
    He is filling the "Void" for useless TF2 info. :p

5. Trotim

aa Trotim

Positive Ratings:
    1688 displacements in Hydro? ...alright. Time to spam displacements.

- There are 139 light_spot entities in Badwater, but only two light entities.

- Goldrush has 148 light_spots and 17 lights.

- There are 1890 prop_static entities in Goldrush and only 1184 in Badwater.

- ALL spawn room doors in Gravelpit have flying motors.

6. Micnax

aa Micnax I maek map

Positive Ratings:
    [​IMG]

7. Void

Positive Ratings:
    [​IMG]

8. Engineer

aa Engineer

Positive Ratings:
    Nice stuff, Void :)

BTW could anyone give me a screen of the visible dev textures, couldnt find em myself :D

9. Jack Riguel

Jack Riguel L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    Wow, the Hydro displacements is very surprising... yet the path tracks aren't as much.

Hoodoo is designed around a lot of curves and inclines, so I'm not too surprised it has so many.

10. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    More to the point my path tracks are twice as dense as goldrush's since I was very much dissatisfied with how unsmooth it's cart is.

11. The Political Gamer

aa The Political Gamer

Positive Ratings:
    THIS! :O Its funny beacuse people look at Valve maps as perfict when the customs do some things so much better. :p

12. Jack Riguel

Jack Riguel L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    It's also called perfectionism... and it's one of the reasons why I'll probably never make a PL map.

13. Nerdbot

Nerdbot L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Yukon uses at least one sign from Hoodoo that I can see, which would make it the first official map to reuse community-made content, unless:

*I am completely unable to find where the blendrocktograss textures are used in Lumberyard. If this is true, then the rock textures were first used in Watchtower, which would be the ONLY example of Valve using community content they've purchased, and in fact modifying it (Sawmill features a different blendrocktograss).

*I don't think Hoodoo uses any of the posters from Steel, but if it actually does then that counts too.

*If my thoughts about Watchtower are correct, Turbine, Fastlane, Junction, Offblast and Yukon are the only community maps that did not introduce any new content to the games (outside of the maps themselves!).

I'm pretty sure I'm completely wrong about the rock textures from Watchtower but somehow I remember people talking about having to pack in custom rock textures (and specifically textures, not models) a long time ago and there'd be no reason to do that if Lumberyard did have the rock textures...

Either way, I'D SAY THESE FACTS ARE FUN. God I am so sleepy.

14. Altaco

Altaco L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Yukon has a bunch of custom textures.

15. Nineaxis

aa Nineaxis Quack Doctor

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah, Yukon has quite a few custom textures, and used at least two of my posters from Hoodoo.

16. Nerdbot

Nerdbot L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Wait really

Well, excuse me for my fun FALSITIES then!!

17. SiniStarR

SiniStarR L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    ya but keep in mind. A custom map doesnt run on a schedule. One can simply work on it for a day and return a month later and still make it look better than a Valve map. The ppl at valve dont have that freedom.

18. Ninjilla

Ninjilla L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    If my decompiled Lumberyard is correct, there are 3 giant blocks under the map with dev_reflectivity. I have no idear why.

19. Void

Positive Ratings:
    Idear? You typed Idear! Pull yourself together, man!

20. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    wow you really need to varify your facts before posting them..

Watchtower uses recoloured textures, which were then used in the VALVE map sawmill. This however was NOT the first time custom content was used from another official map in a new one, I believe the first instance was hoodoo's barbed wire texture, both egypt and hoodoo had identical textures, but once egpyt was released i swapped mine for his.

Then on top of that, wow... yukon, no CC other than the map itself?? How can you even think that... theres a tonne of custom stuff in there, just open your eyes man! The whole cliffs are retextured and even a blend texture, then there are multiple other nature overlays they used.