Model Full SFM Prop Library 2018-05-19

Yer gonna like this

1. Scampi

Scampi L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Full SFM Prop Library - Yer gonna like this

Prepare to be amazed by the huge swath of new props to play with!

I recently downloaded a huge pack of SFM assets from MaxofS2D's website. I eagerly crammed them into the custom folder and started examining all of them. There truly was an entire content pack's worth of props in there... but many of them had issues. Some would make Hammer freeze, some would make Hammer crash instantly. Many of them had textures that would show up in game but not Hammer, and a few of them plain and simply had none at all. A few props didn't have any models, or didn't fit TF2's artstyle.

So I made a library of all the props, placing them alphabetically and saving after each prop and reloading after every crash. Like crossing a minefield by sending an army of clones out ahead of you! Anyway, I've reached the other side (of the minefield, not the other side... you get what I mean) and I think you will find that all of the props in the .vmf are ready to use. I have included the BSP as well so you can hop into GMod to see all the textures properly.

Needless to say, you need to download this for it to work: http://source.maxofs2d.net/sfm/sfmbeta_content.7z

Hopefully everything works. Let me know if it doesn't.

[EDIT]
    As iiboharz pointed out, none of these props have lower-detail models or collision boxes. If you are looking to use them in a TF2 map, I'd recommend limiting their use to important detail areas. Like a spice, they are good for added flavour if used sparingly.

Last edited: May 19, 2018
  2. I dinne ken

aa I dinne ken Has currently had enough

Positive Ratings:
    Have you gotten permission from max to post this?
    Also is it legal in the first place?

This feels a bit shady to me, imo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. ISPuddy

ISPuddy L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    these props were made by valve
    it's must be legal

4. I dinne ken

aa I dinne ken Has currently had enough

Positive Ratings:
    Yes, they were made by valve but as far as I understand they were only released to Max. I don't think that Max has the legal right to release these to anyone else. That's where my problem is.

5. iiboharz

aa iiboharz eternally tired

Positive Ratings:
    It's fine, but good luck using these effectively in TF2. There's no optimization and no collision on any of them.

EDIT: This is also just a prop library, not the props themselves.

6. MegapiemanPHD

aa MegapiemanPHD Doctorate in Deliciousness

Positive Ratings:
    Shame only some of these have textures, there's some neat stuff in there.

7. Scampi

Positive Ratings:
    All of the props in the library should have textures when used in game. I have no idea why they don't show up in Hammer.

I'd recommend being stingy in their placement if you actually plan on using them in maps. They're better suited for small elements of flavour, or for detail in out of bounds areas, unless you want to make a block-bullets hitbox.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Coding Ethan

Coding Ethan L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    I fixed a few textures by downgrading the VTF version.
    You might want to remove the spaces from the map filename.

9. MegapiemanPHD

Positive Ratings:
    Found out props like models/props_facemovie/bar_ashtray/bar_ashtray.mdl will cause a map to crash with mat_phong 0 that some players like to use. Keep that in mind when using stuff from this pack.

10. Scampi

Positive Ratings:
    Fear not! Soon this entire prop library and all of the assets it uses will become obsolete! I am in the process of fixing every useful item present here completely, and recompiling them. This means collisions, fixed textures, more appropriate and consistent names, more appropriate scale in some cases, skins (if red by default), reduced polygons, and a lower LOD version. I will start a separate thread when I've made more progress, I've only finished a few boxes and crates as of now.

• Thanks Thanks x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. MegapiemanPHD

Positive Ratings:
    You are both a scholar and a gentleman.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1