CP Drybed a1a

Author: Lancey

1. Lancey

aa Lancey Currently On: ?????

Positive Ratings:
    In a low valley where water once flowed through miles of river, two corporations have drained the area for use as coolants. The two bases, now with empty reservoirs, are contesting the water remaining in the area, hoping to destroy their enemy's installation before they themselves lose theirs!

When Gorge came out, I thought it'd be great to make a 5CP map with the same theme. So I decided to make what is and always will be Gorge into a 5CP map. Any similarity is intended, and everything has been built from the ground up. No copy/paste. This map is mostly just me practicing detailing and trying out Valve's system of visual a-symmetry.

Not finished as of yet, but should be complete soon.

Special thanks to
    - Valve for Gorge
    - Void for the expanded concrete wall set
    - Engineer for the blue stripe texture
    - Rexy for security_fence_section02

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  2. Mr.Blob

Mr.Blob L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    wow, this looks great, and it's 1-1 with Gorge. :3

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  3. The Political Gamer

aa The Political Gamer

Positive Ratings:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Lancey

Positive Ratings:
    Actually, I've had a good deal of hate from Littleedge.

5. nik

nik L12: Fabulous Member

Positive Ratings:
    beautiful, of course.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. absurdistof

aa absurdistof

Positive Ratings:
    Proto how professional :3

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Uriak

Uriak L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Well, I don't blame you, from what I've tryed, gorge was quite fresh both by look and gameplay, but its 2 cp nature ruined its appeal. I'm likely to give it a try, since our current 5cp have gotten quite old.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. gamemaster1996

gamemaster1996 L13: Stunning Member

Positive Ratings:
    Very good, my immediate reaction when i came on today was, "Hey nerdboys done something amazing again". I Might playtest this when i get home.

Good job :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Remix

Remix L69: Deviant Member

Positive Ratings:
    Well the map looks nice, but I think you would be better off redesigning the middle point and slightly changing the building layouts so they aren't exactly like gorge. You could easily mold this map into something of your own creation, rather than just a practice map that you copied most concepts from gorge.

I recommend just making the capture point areas a little more unique and then you might have yourself an actual map!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Mr. P. Kiwi

Mr. P. Kiwi L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    Nice idea!
    Improving Valve maps is great!
    TIPS:
    It's not an attack defense map any more! the middle cap could be captured and re-captured many times and it's so easy to do that! You need to add some cover around the cap (like rocks, walls and a sniper fence at each of the far sides...)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Bermuda Cake

Bermuda Cake L9: Fashionable Member

Positive Ratings:
    I was wondering why you had made a gorge edit... then i read the description :p

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Lancey

Positive Ratings:
    The middle capture point is actually dead on in the middle of the action. To reach the opposite side, you need to either cross over it or go around it, meaning that it'll be difficult to contest when one team grabs it. Alternatively, the height and tactical advantages it offers counteract that, which make it a neutral point in terms of capturing. It's basically the badlands bridge, but much, much smaller.

The second point actually turned out more unique than I was expecting, and naturally the final point needs a rework. The last two points might become totally unique, which could end up translating over to the middle if gameplay could use improvement. Otherwise, if it works perfectly, I might end up changing the architecture of the two buildings to reflect my own design rather than that of Valve.

The map's not released yet, but I should have it by Friday if things go horribly wrong.

Along with Gorge's theme comes its gameplay style, naturally. That means that it'll have wider play areas as opposed to longer ones. This provokes flanking sniper tactics which could prove harmful or helpful to the current stalemates of 5CP maps. On one hand, it means more snipers, while on the other it means that targets won't be moving towards them. It also makes sentries less of a problem on the more open points.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  13. littleedge

aa littleedge L1111: Clipping Guru

Positive Ratings:
    Love you too :D

I also gave hate to Political...

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Lancey

Positive Ratings:
    Hate all around!

15. Penguin

aa Penguin Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome

Positive Ratings:
    Make it 3CP, imitating Gorge's style of being smakker than conventional maps of AD game.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Lancey

Positive Ratings:
    No, 3CP promotes far too much ninjacapping. Capture the middle then just sneak behind the spawn wave.

17. Penguin

aa Penguin Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome

Positive Ratings:
    That's a totally valid reason.

18. Lancey

Positive Ratings:
    Finished the geometry. Map should be done by tomorrow.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  19. Lancey

Positive Ratings:
    Holy crap A1 is released!

20. owly-oop

aa owly-oop im birb

Positive Ratings:
    I'd appreciate if you even attempted to be original and created your own points. I kept looking for the healthkits on the places where they are on gorge.

If you like the theme nothing is stopping you from creating a map
    If you like gorge then why have clones of the same map?

This map will get my minimum respect (doubt anyone cares). You get minimum respect because it's not fullbright. That's about it

• Thanks Thanks x 2