dirge

Discussion in 'Map Factory' started by bootboy, May 15, 2010.

1. bootboy

bootboy L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Hey all, this is my first map, please check it out, i would really appreciate some feedback.

Two opposing forts with a control point in each, plus a neutral control point in the center of the map for capture, multiple routes to each. I tried to hang back on the health kits to avoid stalemates/boring matches.

Thanks, please post, and have fun!

2. Micnax

aa Micnax I maek map

Positive Ratings:
    The second screenshot makes me thing it's on a suspension bridge ;D

I'll take a run round it.

Edit: Hmmph, TF2 is crashing on me when I load maps. Bugger.

Last edited: May 15, 2010
  3. bootboy

Positive Ratings:
    Ah, thats not good, hope its not my map :p

Post your thoughts if you fix the problem. I really have no idea how this map flows at all though, havent been able to get nav_generate to work at all, crashes every time. so no bots.

4. Prestige

aa Prestige im not gay anymore

Positive Ratings:
    first pic's texture is ewwww
    the map looks like it is floating in the air, and the layout looks really straight. I don't see many alternate paths. :/

5. Micnax

aa Micnax I maek map

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah, it was a DirectX problem I just did, not your map :p

Well, here ya go:

[​IMG]

First thing I noticed was the amount of doors you have, it's a lot. It also brings me to the next thing...

[​IMG]

All the doors open when touched instead of using trigger areas. Use this to help you make efficient and awesome doors.

[​IMG]

Adjust this so it looks neat

[​IMG]

Again, another door, but it's at the top of a ramp. Remove it from both sides, it's not needed at all.

[​IMG]

VERY, very small for a capture area. Maybe remove the walls around it? Also, I couldn't get into the room because the floor held me to the ceiling. I had to crouch to get under it.

[​IMG]

You surrounded the map in a big skybox cube, which equals unused space and dreadful compile times.

[​IMG]

All of these lights are floating from the ceiling

[​IMG]

For areas you can't see, cover them in the Nodraw texture. That way, the surface won't be rendered.

[​IMG]

Expand these ramps, could be hard when a team tries to rush to the next point.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. bootboy

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks a ton for the detailed analysis, i appreciate it alot, i will fix everything you listed. I know about triggers for doors, but i havent been able to get it working very well, i will do some more work on it tonight. I actually knew about that un-neat ramp thing, i just forgot before i compiled =P. Never considered the no-draw thing, thanks. Will make changes and re-upload by the end of today.

7. absurdistof

aa absurdistof

Positive Ratings:
    Two things,
    1) Download A Boojum Snark's mappers pack here. Just make sure you stick with the updated version(s), as he does update it. Acting contra to such a thing would force him to relinquish his title and attribute of being boojum :/
    2) Get VBCT (look it up on developer.valvesoftware.com)