Developing Puzzle Game [with pics]

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Blue552, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Blue552

Blue552 L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    So I decided to make this puzzle in which two players try to outwit each other, much like checkers. The only difference being that this game is played with guns.

I present to you, the Sentry Game.

Basis:

So far you start with a basic grid of Sentries seperated by walls.

[​IMG]

Each player is given a control panel which is a scale version of the grid.

[​IMG]

Shooting the walls on the control panel lowers the walls on the grid, allowing enemy sentries to attack each other.

[​IMG]

Despite thinking that this is straight forward, there are many different variations which can all change the flow of the game, even the direction a sentry is facing is very important to note.

[​IMG]
    This particular game led to RED being up by a level 2 sentry despite a symmetrical grid.

Whoever is left with a Sentry still standing is the victor!

[​IMG]

Current Version:

A static sentry setup in a 3x3 grid. Each player starts with three level 1 sentries and a level 2 sentry.

Whichever team destroys the opposing level 2 sentry first gets a bonus level 1 sentry.

Players can heal one of there own sentries for 50HP once per turn.

Future Plans:

There is a lot I want to do to this, here is a list of maybes:

- Ability to rotate sentries

- Ability to upgrade sentries after a certain number of points

- Brings walls back

- A 4x4 Grid

There can also be different game modes, like moving platforms with stationary walls.

Each team can only control their own team walls.

My biggest plan, which I think is the best is to create random, yet balanced sentry layouts - So no game is the same.

I want complete randomness when it comes to the sentry layout [yet mirrored for the other team]

Doing this with as small number of entities Is the difficult part. Would get messy if I needed 12 case_logics followed by many more logic entities. This may be the case though.

Don't worry I also plan to make the map itself as pretty as possible with many cool secrets.

I post this because I want to hear if you had any useful suggestions or ideas?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Micnax

aa Micnax I maek map

Positive Ratings:
    Excellent. Looks like fun.

-Ability to rotate sentries could be done, but it'd be hard to do.
    -Upgrading could be simple.
    -Bringing walls back is simple.
    -4x4 grid kinda takes the point of Noughts and Crosses away... but it can be done.

3. SiniStarR

SiniStarR L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    innovative and creative. cant wait to try it.

4. Owlruler

Owlruler L12: Fabulous Member

Positive Ratings:
    - func_momentary_rot_button with some clever inputting and outputting.
    - math counter added to with the sentries OnDestrotyed output. math counter InValueing to a logic case that has a case for how many points, and AddOutput with sentry level.
    -func_door?
    -simple