Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Do crashes also wipe out the VMX copy?

killohurtz

Distinction in Applied Carving
aa
Feb 22, 2014
The BSOD that wiped my vmf happened the moment I hit ctrl+s and the vmx was affected too. Maybe there are other cases where the vmx survives, but I wouldn't depend on it.

Blade x64

Logical insanity
aa
Sep 3, 2009

Crowbar

Spiritual preprocessor
aa
Dec 19, 2015
So the vmx is likely to contain an uncorrupted copy, since the last VMF save, which corrupted it, was not successful?

Powerlord

L3: Member
May 8, 2010
I wonder if it's not worth using some sort of version control on VMF files. I know Git and Mercurial can both do local version control where you don't have to check files into a central server.

Of course, then you'd have to find a good client for those and kinda learn their workflow.

fubarFX

The "raw" in "nodraw"
aa
Jun 1, 2009
I wonder if it's not worth using some sort of version control on VMF files. I know Git and Mercurial can both do local version control where you don't have to check files into a central server.

Of course, then you'd have to find a good client for those and kinda learn their workflow.
it is worth it. git is very good with text files and I'd definitely say it's a prime contender for source. (altho it's worth noting that source integrates with perforce on a couple levels which I have not been able to fully make use of yet)

Oct 6, 2008
if you have a vmx file open it up in hammer - maybe it is still good in that file - if so just save it as a VMF and contiue. Always turn on auto save :)

Powerlord

L3: Member
May 8, 2010
it is worth it. git is very good with text files and I'd definitely say it's a prime contender for source. (altho it's worth noting that source integrates with perforce on a couple levels which I have not been able to fully make use of yet)
Well, I'm a software developer and use git all the time. My main concern is how difficult it would be to use as a non-developer.

Historically, I've used TortoiseGit when using programming tools that don't directly support Git. It integrates with Windows Explorer's right-click menu. The only catch is that you have to install and configure Git for Windows as well.

fubarFX

The "raw" in "nodraw"
aa
Jun 1, 2009
Well, I'm a software developer and use git all the time. My main concern is how difficult it would be to use as a non-developer.

Historically, I've used TortoiseGit when using programming tools that don't directly support Git. It integrates with Windows Explorer's right-click menu. The only catch is that you have to install and configure Git for Windows as well.
I've successfully collaborated on map projects with non-software devs but it wasn't easy, you pretty much have to teach your team how to use git which is kind of a pain, plus you have to figure out how to divide your map in multiple files so everything goes smoothly. The workflow is very different. github for windows makes it somewhat straightforward tho. The great part is merge conflicts can usually be resolved more or less automatically by git which was pretty valuable.

KaydemonLP

L5: Dapper Member
Nov 17, 2015
if you have a vmx file open it up in hammer - maybe it is still good in that file - if so just save it as a VMF and contiue. Always turn on auto save :)
Already tried it. Still was empty.
But someone decompiled the map for me so its already ok