Customizing TF2 (not maps)

RavenStryker

Former Alias: †Blade†/Xi.Cynx
aa
Nov 25, 2008
I like this idea, and would like to propose a tree for a sub forum for it. Models, Particle Effects, Textures and Sounds can all be put into this category of... Map Assets? and then within each one of those categories it can be broke down into easier to find categories like exampled below. =)

Models
· Payload Carts
· Characters
· Foliage
· Structures

Particle Effects
· Final Explosions
· Falling Particles(Rain, Snow, Hail)
· Environmental Particles(Mud, Lava, Water)
· Misc(For the little particle effects that you can't really categorize)

Textures
· Theme Based
· Skybox
· Animated
· Re-Textured
· Misc(For your Dev, Individual models and anything else that can't be fit into a category)

Sounds
· Environmental(Water, Wind, Rocks, Echos)
· Animal Sounds
· Misc. (For weird or obscure sounds; High-Tech)

Requests
· You request whatever you want and then when they make it they let you know in this post and link you to it in one of the other main categories listed above? To keep requested materials organized as well?

Last edited:

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
O_O
imo, that is just way to exaggerated for the amount of work people put out there.
in the beginning of the thread it was said "no 2nd fpsbanana plz" but the recent postings support quite that, in my opinion :(

i mean, just have a look at the model&textures board right now. it's a nice and cosy place with people posting some really nice work there. every nownow and every thenthen people post their model requests which often get realized.

why would this forum need to be deformed into something UBERcomplicated when every subcategory has only 1-2 entries after a month.

i mean just have a look at the overall forums here. it's almost close to getting too complex structure-wise, e.g. there's swamp-contest threads all over the place.
what good would it be to create a totally bloated forum structure for a (total) niche in customization :/

the board name could just be renamed to the proposed "Map Assets" and there you go - because the underline still remains: "Show off your other projects that aren't maps, like models, textures, etc."

I just think about the users who create this custom content. they wanna get feedback and crititique. i think the mapping guys tend to view the model & textures board from time to time and give some feedback, but far from the quantity that's in the mapping boards - which is totally understandable and right.
but what if there's more forums created ? i really doubt, that people will take the time and browse through every tiny sub-forum to view some custom-made content and post their thoughts on it.
i think the amount of custom content is pretty manageable in one forum, so everyone gets the deserved attention. just like there is only one map-forum and not one subboard for every maptype.

because for me that's the best thing in this board. if i wanna see maps, i view mapsforums. for the custom content (no matter what type) i go to the board right below. i think that if it gets too messy, people will stay away from the custom stuff boards :/
i think that's one of the reasons this site is so well accepted, there's not 10 subforums with 1-2 threads per month for the custom stuff, but one board, with constand new stuff, so people are interested in checking it out.

Less is really more, in this case - in my opinion :D

Last edited: