(CUSTOM MODEL WIP) Ambulance

Snipergen

L13: Stunning Member
Nov 16, 2007
Yea budikkaman said it already really, and to bake a normal map from it I think its too lowpoly for it :/
So dont think if you have less tri's it would look bad, smoothing groups can make a cube look round :)
So good use of smoothing groups and this will work out just fine.

oxy

L5: Dapper Member
Nov 27, 2007
Hum.. smoothing groups are from 3dS Max... I am using Maya and there are no such things as smoothing groups. What are they? What do they do? I wonder if Maya just calls them something different.

Snipergen

Nov 16, 2007
Sure? Well smoothing groups can make polys side by side look, well, smoother.
I googled and found out maya doesnt has it but you can use this
Edit Polygons -> Normals -> Soften/Harden []

MacNetron

Dec 12, 2007
[...] Being that the medic is from Germany (I believe) I decided to go with an old Peugeot ambulance.[...]
Funny one. The medic is indeed German (hence the übercharge), but Peugeot is a France make. :)
The "Mont Blanc" (=White mountain) is the highest mountain in France.

Having said that...
The model is well suited for ambulance conversion and the screenies look very nice and fit the TF2-style!

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
It matters not where peugeot is from. The ablulance is looks exactly the right era and exactly the right style.
Also, The Germans kinda ended up all over the continent at a certain 'stage' in history so I'm sure they used whatever vehicles they could use.....
Just don't reference that certain 'stage' in histroy and you'll be fine :)

oxy

Nov 27, 2007
Ok.. I think I am doing a bit better. Only 2616 Tri's this time. I almost think it is going to end up being too low poly though.

Oh well this only took me 2-3 hours so maybe I should start again a go a tad more detailed. Or maybe I will just add detail to this.

Thx again for your sketched edge flow. I think I am getting the hang of game modeling.

comments?

..oxy..

Last edited:

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Just a little bit too lowres now, if it is the same outline maybe that could be for a far away lod model.

poopster101

L4: Comfortable Member
Jan 28, 2008
i see the front wheel hub as being the main part having too los res

oxy

Nov 27, 2007
Ok. So I started from scratch. I am happy with the results. I have modeled the doors separate and create a 'trunk' area. I am not sure how to get official props into my model and don't even know if it is legal so I am thinking I will just get the ambulance back doors to swing open and people can place static medic props in the back as they see fit. I still have to learn how to export models from Maya. I will prob make a small simple prop and test it out before I start texturing the ambulance. I also gotta learn how to export animations so I get get these doors swinging.

;)

001vz2.jpg

002qs7.jpg

003hk1.jpg

004qv1.jpg

005xj3.jpg

Snipergen

Nov 16, 2007
yep, looks very good, bud spend a little bit more polys on the wheels if you can.
Also, have fun unwrapping :(

oxy

Nov 27, 2007
Wow! I am having on heck of a time trying to compile a model which I exported from Maya. I got a wire frame in the model viewer but no texture, not even purple/black. This is like pulling teeth. I will work on it for a few more hours and if I don't get it I will post some of my issues / screens / code.
:confused1::sad::confused1:

oxy

Nov 27, 2007
Wow... Compiling a model for source is no easy task. have been at it for 3 days myself. I Am working on a custom model but I don't plan on unwrapping UV's and texturing it unless I am comfortable compiling models.

I am using the Source SDK BETA
I am using Maya 2008 to model.
I am using Prall's Export tools v2.5
I got the .QC and .SMD files to export correctly.
I got the .VMF and .VMT files created correctly.

I just can't compile for the life of me. I have tried using both studiomdl from ep1 and orangebox. I have tried using GUIStudioMDL and it can't find the gameinfo.txt and won't even run.

If I don't get this in the next few days I am go to give up until somebody can provied me with clear instructions on how to complie for TF2.

oxy

Nov 27, 2007
Sorry, can't help you, but I'm willing to give moral support!
"Go! Don't stop! It's too good looking!"

<mac gives oxy a nice cup of fresh coffee>

Aw. thanks brother. I am just really stressed out. I have having a heck of a time finding a job. Life is sorta rough right now so I figured I would be creative and make an ambulance. Now that is adding to my stresses. :sad: