Curved Displacement Roads

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Dr. KillPatient, Aug 28, 2010.

1. Dr. KillPatient

Dr. KillPatient L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    I've seen displacement roads/pathways like this is a few maps before, but I have no idea how to do them. HL2 Ep2's White Forest Inn actually has a better example of them than anything I can pull out of TF2, here's a screenshot:

[​IMG]

Any idea how to do something like this? I basically need to replicate this kind of road, but copying and pasting won't do the job because mine differs in curve angle and size.

2. tovilovan

tovilovan L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
  3. fubarFX

aa fubarFX The "raw" in "nodraw"

Positive Ratings:
  4. Dr. KillPatient

Positive Ratings:
    I think I've seen that tutorial before, the roads themselves are brushes, not displacements. I can do it that way but the road texture is a blend texture so I'd prefer it be a displacement.

EDIT: yeah that method isn't going to work for me. And a plus to displacements is that you don't have to adjust all the damn textures by hand.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
  5. Confidence Man

Confidence Man L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Can't you just make an arch and have each wedge be a displacement?

6. Dr. KillPatient

Positive Ratings:
    I could make a rough version of the road out of brushes and then displace each one, but it still turns out blocky, there's not a way to smooth them that I know of.

7. Goombac

Goombac L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
  8. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    Create three concentric arches, with identical wall width, displace the surface, subdivide, delete the inner and outer rings.

[​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Dr. KillPatient

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks, that works awesomely for getting the road shaped correctly, but how do you align the textures to the curve of the road?

10. A Boojum Snark

Positive Ratings:
    Apply them to the inside edge of the ring, top align them, then alt+rightclick transfer each one to the corresponding top surface.

11. Dr. KillPatient

Positive Ratings:
    Is top align the little T button under the justify tab? It doesn't seem to be doing anything to the selected texture when I press it.

12. A Boojum Snark

Positive Ratings:
    If it's not doing anything then it already is at that alignment. It's not necessary, I just say that so when you wrap it onto the road surface it's aligned right. Either way, the point is using alt+rightclick to quickly and easily get the proper rotation.

13. Dr. KillPatient

Positive Ratings:
    Alt+rightclick still yields this:
    [​IMG]

14. Draco18s

Draco18s L9: Fashionable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Because it "folds" the texture around the edge/brush border and those brushes all have parallel surfaces.

If it was curved the other way (eg. the side of the arch, not the top) it would work just fine.

They told you the wrong thing.

15. Dr. KillPatient

Positive Ratings:
    How do I fix it then?

Also congratulations on having a post count equal to the exact width of my road in units.

16. A Boojum Snark

Positive Ratings:
    I didn't tell him the wrong thing, I just didn't explain it clear enough. Here is a picture so I don't need 1000 words :p

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/98931/MappingResources/curvedroadtex.jpg

I did this with :dispmask: and :disp3d: off to see the non-disp brush faces. You don't need to turn off 3D though, since won't matter that the curved displacement doesn't line up with the face as alt+rightclick only cares about the base faces and not the displacement location.

• Thanks Thanks x 1