Cumulus

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
I'm pretty sure you said something similar when I stuffed up on a hoodoo beta ;)

ChronoTriggerFan

L420: High Member
Feb 3, 2008
Got bored today, after camping and biking 28 miles. To do something productive, I made a quick concept model of a tesla coil, for the final point. Its not modeled too well (read as sloppy) and nothing really is final.
SS-20090420170911.png

Void

Local Man Unable To Map, Sources Say
aa
Sep 14, 2008
Looks better than your past stuff.

Depending on how well the UV Map is made, I might skin it.

uma plata

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 20, 2009
I like the unique track the cart takes, doubling back and over on itself, was fun

One problem I think is the first area is very difficult for blue to control. Once the cart is up past the first cap, red still has basically unrestricted access to the entire blue starting area still. Blue needs a way to limit red having this much access, because basically you're fighting to get back to the cart, and then fighting to push it forward

But I liked it overall, some good vertical action, keep it up

FreeLance_FoX

L6: Sharp Member
Sep 6, 2008
Great verticality! I LOVED the version we played on gameday today! The problems though were fairly obvious: it's near impossible for a disorganized BLU team to push and hold any portion of the map due to the ability of single RED players to flank them and decimate their weak backside. I had a field day playing Spy on RED and BLU both, though that may be a bad thing. I was, I think, like 20 points ahead of the rest of my team just through pure hit-n-run spying.

That said, the fix may be as simple as adding a BLU flank that RED cannot access. If you had to pick one, I'd say the right path (from BLU perspective) and make that an easy, BLU-side only access, flanking route. This would make reaching the cart safely much more achievable.

captainAngry

Feb 1, 2009
I posted about that same problem last time Fireman. At least yesterday no one said, "hey check this out" and have everyone jump down the hole :D

I had no idea that this map has an entire second area. I have not once, no matter what team sizes are, ever gotten past the first area. The addition of the ramp we talked about yesterday so that blue can actually get to the cart after the first point would be nice. Making that building where blue had teles directly accessable to blue after blue capped the first point would help a lot.

It seems really easy for red to hold off blue on this map, even on the first point. This is especially the case since there is a whole other area after this one. I'd listen to Hojo, his advice seems about right.

Mar

Banned
Feb 12, 2009
MAP TEST: "pl_cumulus_a6" by Chrono – 5/18, 7:00 EST PM

On 5/18 - which lands on a Monday - we will be testing out pl_cumulus_a6 made by Chrono Trigger Fan.
It will be on the Fragimus Maximus TF2 server, IP: 4.79.145.117:27015.
Event starts at 7:00 pm est.

The maptest will be pub style, with pl_cumulus_a6 being on the server for one to two hours.
Everyone is encouraged to participate, and it would be great if you could bring a friend. Thanks

Void

Local Man Unable To Map, Sources Say
aa
Sep 14, 2008
I give you permission to ditch my custom sky for Sawmill's or Pipeline's.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
The first part of this stage is a little weird. No one ever set up in the first red buildings that the cart went through, I think, so that part was basically a breeze. They mostly set up in the larger red building (near where RED exits when going to the first point), which generally was closer to BLU anyway.

Maybe they were just scared by the sentry props. Yes, I know why they are there, and yes, I know you're tired of people complaining about them - but I wasn't there when you apparenly explained this on some other gameday (or so I believe you said this Sunday), so I don't know why the hell you don't put them in a visgroup and disable it when you compile. The thing is, no one ever built a sentry in or by a sentry prop, I believe - the sentry positions your props suggest might be more frequently used if the props aren't there, as I can see why people would subconsciously avoid setting up in areas cluttered with non-solid props.

The second part was nice. I'm a sucker for great use of height, which you definitely had lots of here. Seems like your overall theme kind of disappeared at this point, but I thought it played quite well.

ChronoTriggerFan

Feb 3, 2008
I do happen to have them in a vis group. However, I forgot to disable them, and that didn't really warrant a recompile in my mind.

The theme also was supposed to go from desert to partial industrial. the third stage is completely industrial.

You guys might also find this interesting. I was experimenting with rayfire, a cinematic physics equivalent to what valve uses, and decided to use the test for my alpha maps. Here's a video with the explosion ingame, with particles and sound effects. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYCyojCXp6I"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYCyojCXp6I[/ame]

Last edited:
May 23, 2009
Chrono I'm concerned tht your basic understanding of physics is flawed. An explosion on top of a slab of concrete will blast the debris down rather than up.
But as you say it's a test piece just make sure your final one has the explosion pushing the debris in the right direction.

ChronoTriggerFan

Feb 3, 2008
Sweet, were can I get this rayfire anyway?

http://www.mirvadim.com/ I used the demo, which has limits on certain stuff, and a 30 load limit.

Chrono I'm concerned tht your basic understanding of physics is flawed. An explosion on top of a slab of concrete will blast the debris down rather than up.

I set it up so that the bomb was at the bottom of the pit. It doesn't look too good with the bits blasting down. Granted, my final explosion won't be just a bit of concrete. Rather, a huge Tesla coil.

TheDarkerSideofYourShadow

L10: Glamorous Member
Apr 12, 2008
While we didn't play this today, we did take a look at it earlier in the week. The only issue I noticed at that time was that Blue did not receive any extra time for capturing the 1st, and maybe 2nd, points.

captainAngry

Feb 1, 2009
Played this last night. It played well and seemed to be pretty balanced for the most part.

I think that if this is the last stage of the map it should be more difficult for blue to capture. Right now, with balanced teams, that map is not all that difficult to cap. I feel like the last stage in a 3 stage map should be harder for to complete for the attacking team then the first area.

This could be fixed by not giving the shortcut to blue until after they cap the first point. As it stands now, blue can use that shortcut and flank all the red guys defending A. If you opened that up afterwards, it would be a great bonus but it would reduce the advantages blue has in the beginning. Others felt the same way.