Crude

CP Crude a3

Sep 7, 2012
Hey! Nice looking map. I ran through it a few times, and here are my thoughts:

The ledge in the picture below is a little awkward for the attackers. It isn't very high, but you have to jump to get past it, meaning that it puts you at danger of being pushed back if you take damage when trying to get in. Considering that the inside of that room is the default sentry spot, you might want to either take out the ledge, or put a ramp up to it for the attackers.
cp_crude_a20000.jpg

If you had intended it to be a window, it doesn't line up with your other window.
cp_crude_a20001.jpg

Not quite sure what this is. I like the idea of ambushing people, but this ledge seems kind of unexplained and random.
cp_crude_a20002.jpg

This forward spawn is almost within sight of the point that needs to be captured. Seems a little close in my opinion. Are the forward spawns necessary? It's a pretty small map.
cp_crude_a20003.jpg

Interesting little glitchiness in the corner. https://dl.dropbox.com/u/48151262/cp_crude_a20003.jpg
Rather strange hiding spot. Is this necessary?
cp_crude_a20005.jpg

This is a little visually obtrusive.
cp_crude_a20006.jpg

This spot might be a little overpowered with the height advantage, plus most classes can't get up here.
cp_crude_a20007.jpg

See above.
cp_crude_a20008.jpg

All in all it looks fun, though B looks like it was thrown in as an afterthought (which it was, if I remember your earlier post... :p ). That said, I think that B might have a fun gameplay mechanic where the little box you can set up your defenses in is in front of the point, without an easy access to the point. I guess gameplays will show whether this is true or not.

Great work so far, I look forward to seeing it in a gameday!

Deodorant

L6: Sharp Member
Oct 31, 2011
Thank you! Replies in bold, if anyone's interested.
Hey! Nice looking map. I ran through it a few times, and here are my thoughts:

The ledge in the picture below is a little awkward for the attackers. It isn't very high, but you have to jump to get past it, meaning that it puts you at danger of being pushed back if you take damage when trying to get in. Considering that the inside of that room is the default sentry spot, you might want to either take out the ledge, or put a ramp up to it for the attackers.
Good point, I'll add some kind of ramp.

If you had intended it to be a window, it doesn't line up with your other window.
Good point, will fix.

Not quite sure what this is. I like the idea of ambushing people, but this ledge seems kind of unexplained and random.
It's there to let you avoid all damage. I'm thinking of making it a catwalk connecting two static door props, hopefully it'll look less random then.

This forward spawn is almost within sight of the point that needs to be captured. Seems a little close in my opinion. Are the forward spawns necessary? It's a pretty small map.
Hm. The biggest problem in the A2 was that everything was too far away from everything else; The walk times were annoying, and combat was sparse and spread-out. I think the forward spawns will be an improvement, but there is a very real risk that the addition of a second point as well makes stuff too compressed around those parts. I'll keep your comment in mind, but not change anything just yet.

Interesting little glitchiness in the corner. Are you talking about the lighting error or am I missing something here? I assume I'm missing something, because the map is littered with lighting errors.

Rather strange hiding spot. Is this necessary?
It's intended to be a stealthy teleporter spot for daring Blu engineers. I have no idea if it'll work as one.

This is a little visually obtrusive.
Eek

This spot might be a little overpowered with the height advantage, plus most classes can't get up here.
See above.
You're probably right, I'll clip them.

All in all it looks fun, though B looks like it was thrown in as an afterthought (which it was, if I remember your earlier post... :p ). That said, I think that B might have a fun gameplay mechanic where the little box you can set up your defenses in is in front of the point, without an easy access to the point. I guess gameplays will show whether this is true or not.

Great work so far, I look forward to seeing it in a gameday!
Thanks a bunch for taking the time to do that, I'll fix stuff tomorrow.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2012
Thank you! Replies in bold, if anyone's interested.
Thanks a bunch for taking the time to do that, I'll fix stuff tomorrow.

You know, you might just want to make the forward respawn for Blue activate when they capture B instead of A. That way the fight is still pretty close but it prevents Blue from rolling onto point B immediately.

Deodorant

Oct 31, 2011

You know, you might just want to make the forward respawn for Blue activate when they capture B instead of A. That way the fight is still pretty close but it prevents Blue from rolling onto point B immediately.

Hm. On one hand, what you're saying makes a lot of sense. On the other hand, I really don't want the entire Blu team to be funneled through the little flank tunnel when attacking B, which I suspect is what will happen if I keep the backward spawn.

I decided to do as you say but add some outputs to seal the flank tunnel upon A being captured. It's a pretty bad solution as it punishes Blu for capping, but Mountainlab kinda does the same thing and in any case it seems like the best option at the moment. I'll try to think of something better in the a3.

Deodorant

Oct 31, 2011
A3 is up. I scaled down some of the most blatantly overscaled stuff, killed the worst sightlines and fiddled with timers and stuff. When I run through the map, though, I'm getting a feeling that it's growing too small/simple and too scattered/unfocused at the same time. If anyone has any pointers regarding where I can go with the overarching design, that'd be great.