1. Hey there Guest,

The game servers have moved to semi-dedicated hardware and IPs have changed. Please see front page server widget for up-to-date game server information.

Creating a Coast in a 3D Skybox

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by MegapiemanPHD, May 10, 2014.

1. MegapiemanPHD

aa MegapiemanPHD Doctorate in Deliciousness

Positive Ratings:
    I'm working on setting up a Coast for a harbor themed map and am having issues with the water in my 3D skybox. No matter how big I make the brush I can't make the water look like it's going on indefinitely or like a horizon. It just looks like a brush that eventually stops. Anyone got any suggestions?

2. shadowslasher11

aa shadowslasher11

Positive Ratings:
    You need fog to allow for the water to fade out of view.

3. MegapiemanPHD

Positive Ratings:
    I've been using some fog but it doesn't seem to do much. Any recommended settings?

4. shadowslasher11

aa shadowslasher11

Positive Ratings:
    If you have Half Life 2 downloaded, you can probably load up the coastal maps and see what those are set to in the fog controller areas.

Plus I also think sun angle has something to do with how everything works out.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    obvious-but-overlooked check: did you set "enable fog" to "yes" on the sky_camera?

6. MegapiemanPHD

Positive Ratings:
    Yes the fog is there, it just doesn't seem to impact things enough no matter what settings I use.

7. MegapiemanPHD

Positive Ratings:
    I will check it out, thanks.

8. A Boojum Snark

Positive Ratings:
    To really do the illusion the fog would need to reach 100% density before the end of the water brush, and the color of the fog needs to be the same as the color of the skybox at the horizon line. The goal is to completely obscure where it ends, not just make it foggy.

9. Faux Rhinoceros

aa Faux Rhinoceros Also known as Dr. Element

Positive Ratings:
    This may sound dumb, but maybe you simply didn't make the water brush large enough.
    If you base the size of the water brush on your fog settings, you should be able to get the illusion just fine.

For example: if your fog ends 8000 units away, the water in the 3d skybox should extend 500 units to each side, since 8000/16=500.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. MegapiemanPHD

Positive Ratings:
    It doesn't seem to matter what color I make the fog, it's just white and makes the brushes it collides with white. I fallowed this tutorial for setting up basic fog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGKHeFn2D4Y

Does TF2 have different settings it needs for fog than other Source games?

11. A Boojum Snark

Positive Ratings:
    What are all your settings on the sky_camera and the env_fog_controller?

12. MegapiemanPHD

Positive Ratings:
    Finally figured it out. In the tutorial I was fallowing I needed to place a fog control entity in both the main map and 3D skybox. Apparently there must have been some kind of update to the game that gave Sky_Camera fog controls so I needed to edit those instead of adding a fog controller for the 3D Skybox. Thank you everyone for your help with this issue.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    Last edited: May 10, 2014