CP_Redstone

Colt Seavers

L6: Sharp Member
Dec 30, 2007
I'm really impressed with this map. So much so that after 1 playtest, i've made it this weeks TF2maps.net map, on the main Playground Teamplay server. We've just had a 12v12 on it and it plays really nicely. I can't comment with authority until i've had a few games on it - so will leave it in the rotation for the next week.

good work though mate :cool: Very nice indeed. I'll be looking at how forward spawns would work and hoping the engi's amongst us get the telporters up quick though, cos that quite a walk - but first impressions are very good indeed (and I say that having ran a huge amount of customs on the server over the months :D

see the 'all servers' stickie for the coltsplayground.net teamplay server ip :D

Shmitz

Old Hat
aa
Nov 12, 2007
I have heard several people express the opinion that the layout is way too much like granary. I suppose that's a good thing for someone who has a fanatical love of granary, but for most people if they want to play granary, they'll probably just play granary. I'm not sure what you can do about that, since the layout is a much more fundamental part of the map than just how you're detailing it. If you want to make redstone really something unique though, I think you're going to need to be prepared to take the knife to the map and start pushing pieces around or removing parts.

R3dRuM

Feb 13, 2008
you own, nice map, nice everything, love the skybox too much :/, love the signs good job, 9/10 (nothings perfect)

Colt Seavers

Dec 30, 2007
played again tonight. still enjoying it alot. still not keen on the huge walk :p lazy git ;)

you should jump on and have a game with us mate - it'll be played every night this week i'd have thought - you'll get a good feel for how it's playing with 12v12 :w00t:

funnily enough i've just got really bored of granary - as we scrimmed it alot - so it's not in our rotation at the minute - this is a nice change of a similar style - and that in my opinion is no bad thing.

Last edited:

ryodoan

Resident Bum
Nov 2, 2007
Personally I think it looks better and plays better than granary. My one comment that I had from the game day was that it seems like a very flat map as in most the action occurs on 1 plane but that might have just been because I could not find ramps up to balconies.

Colt Seavers

Dec 30, 2007
epic game on the teamplay server right now : 50 minutes left - jump on if you're awake :p

81.19.219.104:27015

lerlerson

L2: Junior Member
Nov 27, 2007
Hey, did you guys see the interview in which a Valve developer talks about Redstone? I can't find a link at the moment, but it's on the main website of the clan the topic creator is in (SK or something)

drp

aa
Oct 25, 2007
Hey, did you guys see the interview in which a Valve developer talks about Redstone? I can't find a link at the moment, but it's on the main website of the clan the topic creator is in (SK or something)
the maker of redstone is a moderator over at the steampowered.com forums :)

Earl

Dec 21, 2007
This map has been added to our server: 8.6.15.83:27015

Haven't yet had a chance to play it on a full server. Right now all I can tell you is that it's way too big for 2v2...

Snipergen

L13: Stunning Member
Nov 16, 2007
skr i want you here more on the forums to discuss with your new maps plz. Since you're in my top 1 of best mappers tbh.

Ziggurat

L1: Registered
Nov 7, 2007

"Shack: Before I forget, I couldn't help but overhear you a minute ago talking about [Shacknews community member -sk-'s map] CP_Redstone.

Robin Walker: So what we do is every Tuesday and Thursday we try and play through community maps, and we have a big list, but we haven't gotten to Redstone, so I feel bad. I don't want to make design comments, it's just, we were talking about it, and I was saying how one of the interesting things in the community--there are different maps which catch your eye for different reasons. Redstone's screenshots caught my eye because I thought it was a really good example of how, just.. it's really fun to look out there and see people who are just customers of TF, who can kind of pick up the visual style and start to sort of put their own touch to it, but still fit in really neatly. And I thought Redstone did that really well, just looking at the screenshots. Can't comment on the gameplay yet. "

this is the interview: http://shacknews.com/featuredarticle.x?id=832

l3eeron

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Jan 4, 2008
This is a tough map to kick start. The size alone is major road block. (just like cp_studio)...

It's a very large map, every time we get on, we get lost and frustrated. Its a million mile march to get to the fight. Even 16 on 16 would be alot of running, not playing.

I hate to say it, but he screen shots gave us all high hopes only to be let down by some major design flaws (IMO).... maybe advancing spawns is the solution?

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
There are advancing spawns arent there? I've played it several times and there is no more running than any of the stock 5 cp maps so thats fine, layout is nice and simple, whilst detailed at the same time and I never get lost (although there is one turning I always take when I mean to take the next one....doh)
Seriously epic map and I can't fault it

Vander

Feb 16, 2008
BTW, this map was also mentioned in the PC Gamer Podcast a week ago. #127 if memory serves correct. They have good things to say about it.

l3eeron

Jan 4, 2008
Well, Im still hoping that I just haven't had the chance to see the map play out. I'm still trying to promote this map at my community. The few guys Ive been on it with, had the same feedback. It's big and confusing. Definitely pretty, and well stylized to fit the TF2 theme. Im afraid that people just dont like the well-nary/badlands set up. I think I'll set up a play tester night for this map and see what happens.

But, yaaaa......

No one ever wants to play it for some reason, Im completely miffed by it.

P.S. There probably is advancing spawns, Ive never had the pleasure of seeing them work though.