[Contest Entry] pl_zig

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
Like this thread had lead up to, I'm working out a model for zig's bomb cart.

I'm using Lightwave, it's got really good support for working a model, but not very good uv mapping. But I'm dealing with it.

As you can see, I'm still working on the body, and the dispenser is just a place filler. I plan to setup a similar dispenser, wired to some crystals for power.
Cart.jpg

Cart2.jpg

And I'm going to fill the cart with crystals, and either one big one of these explosives, or many smaller ones. Haven't decided yet.
Bomb.jpg

More later!

Last edited:

laghlagh

L6: Sharp Member
Jul 15, 2008
Awesome!

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
More screenies:

I modified the dispenser to get what I wanted.

I'm thinking it will look really great once the textures are put in.

wip1.jpg

wip2.jpg

wip3.jpg

wip4.jpg

wip6.jpg

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
at how many poly's are you now?

Well, original bombcart has 11456 polygons (triangles), and bomb cart zig has 9936 polygons (triangles) and as far as body work goes, I'm almost done. I'll get to uv mapping soon.

Sgt.Sausage

L420: High Member
Dec 5, 2008
That looks great, keep it up. This map will be very great if you texture the bomb kart and change the textures in the map to a more tf2 style.

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
Those wires really look blocky, thats supposed?

Yes. The camera is actually really close to the model, in actuality, you'll see the model from further away, and the illusion makes more sense.

I'll post some screens of valve's cart--the wires on it are made exactly the same way, blocky (4 sided) and thick. I used the decompiled cart for scale and continuity. Seeing the model from far away gives the wires the illusion of being round--not to mention, when rendered in the source engine, the cart looks MUCH better than in lightwave. Lightwave (and other 3-D software) relies on smoothing during rendering to reduce the appearance of polygons. I can't use smoothing in the source engine, that idea is ignored--instead the idea is just to increase the # of polygons to make the model appear much smoother from further away (and then the model is rendered with even less polygons as you travel a distance from it, for better performance).

If you make some sweet light setups in Lightwave, and with the right surface application, you can make your models look really cool when rendered--but I usually just drop the model into layout, put a few lights around the model and do the business.

That looks great, keep it up. This map will be very great if you texture the bomb kart and change the textures in the map to a more tf2 style.

I won't change the textures in the map. Sorry! Those were all intentional choices. I'll just have a very mediocre map instead of a "very great" map.

Last edited:

GrimGriz

L10: Glamorous Member
Jan 2, 2009
what's the latest version?

THe link in the first post goes to b4, and there's one to b8 a little ways up...I'm going to run this on my server and I want to make sure i Have the most recentest.

Shadow Monkey

Super Monkey
Jun 7, 2008
Great model....but I have one problem: When I wont to play/test the map every time comes "Source Engines overloaded" or something like that....do you know why?

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
Great model....but I have one problem: When I wont to play/test the map every time comes "Source Engines overloaded" or something like that....do you know why?

Means the map has a lot of facelights and your video card can't deal with it. It's my fault... I will optimize more soon.

The newest is beta 8.

ColdFire

L2: Junior Member
Mar 11, 2008
Is b8 newest than the one in the payload contest pack?

I did a special payload contest maps sunday on my TF2 server, your map has really been appreciated since its design is so refreshing, and it was a lot of fun till the end.
Great job

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
Is b8 newest than the one in the payload contest pack?

I did a special payload contest maps sunday on my TF2 server, your map has really been appreciated since its design is so refreshing, and it was a lot of fun till the end.
Great job

Yeah...pl_zig was really just pl_zig_b7. I gave the name finalization for the contest, which turned out to be a mistake. B8 fixes a lot of problems with bottle-necking and balance issues, as well as drastically reduced filesize (75 mb!), and better lightmap scaling.

B9--major revisions of the last few areas, as well as a new bombcart and some more custom content.

but for those interested, here's a bump on the progress of the cart:
*total polygons (triangles): 10156
WIP7.jpg

WIP8.jpg

WIP10.jpg

WIP9.jpg

The writing there reads, "take off every zig!" which is a slight reference to Zero Wing, which really has nothing to do with the map, but some have interpreted it that way. Hopefully when this cart gets in game it will be for "great justice".

For those interested: Yes, I am a noob at UV mapping. It's hard! And lightwave isn't very nice with UV mapping.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2008
Wow looks great, but I'd love to see this ingame, with normal lighting.. :p
Great work so far!

Dustoxx

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 9, 2009
I think that it will look rounder in game.

Good work :)