[Contest Entry] pl_zig

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
Alright...

Recompiled and pak-ed with the compressed textures...56 mb...

56 mb is much better than 125 mb...

I am the biggest noob ever apparently...

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
zigg, ziggy, zag, uhh... dunno what the reason you used zig is, so I'm not sure if anything along the lines of warping it would suit you.

However... I'm very curious to see if this will fix the issue of it crashing me. If it was indeed an issue of memory, uncompressed textures could definitely be the cause. :)

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
zigg, ziggy, zag, uhh... dunno what the reason you used zig is, so I'm not sure if anything along the lines of warping it would suit you.

However... I'm very curious to see if this will fix the issue of it crashing me. If it was indeed an issue of memory, uncompressed textures could definitely be the cause. :)

Does it still crash for you, even after fixing the lightmap scale?

Apom

L6: Sharp Member
Sep 14, 2008
It's either pl_zig2 or pl_zig_v2, up to you. But no you can't avoid the 2 I'm afraid. Unless you skip directly to 3 :D

laghlagh

Jul 15, 2008
or you could just give it a new name. I really like zig though, so make it good.

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
Ok, so the naming thing is going to take some time, I don't want to make any more hasty choices.

But the beta 8 is here for Gameday, and I'll be interested to see how the alternate routes to the choke points work, and I'm pretty sure they do the trick, and the filesize is much smaller...so on with procedure...

http://forums.tf2maps.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=949

* Installation instructions: *
* Unzip the .bsp into the tf/maps directory *

Payload Zig

Change log for beta 8

*Reduced filesize by 70 MB (hooray!)
*Added solutions to choke points (after CP A and before CP C)

Change log for beta 7

*Complete revision of the environment lighting (looks better imo).
*Complete revision of lights.rad to remove team identity confusion in colored areas (blu players now appear blue in the red areas and vice-versa!).
*More skybox detail
*Complete revision of lightmap scale on ALL surfaces (optimization).
*Added more time to each control point (balance)
*Reworked mission briefing screen
*Added a new 'view' area outside of the alternate path to D.
*Added fog and skybox fog
*corrected the shadow_control control.
*Added another staircase to the last point for easier access to red spawn.

Change log for beta 5 closed, beta 5a and beta 6:

*Inclusion of 3-D skybox!
*Moved red spawn back into the crystal cave (balance).
*Reconfigured respawn wave times for each time and control point (balance).
*Added alternate route to D.
*Sectioning of 'outside' areas for fps improvements (previously was one big box! O:).
*Added section specific 'crates' for cover.
*More dectional arrows so players are even less likely to be lost.
*Changed all doors to 'glass' doors, brush based func_doors that fit the style of the map more appropriately than the tf2 models.

Change log for beta 4:

*Slightly reduced red respawn time for cap A (balance)
*COMPLETE REVISION of the cave section (BRAND NEW), now twice as wide and tall, with better features and lighting, as well as better for team balance. See new screenshot
*Increased the spawn area for purple spawn (exploit fix)
*Changed spawn areas, purple spawn is now used by both teams, the tunnel from red spawn to cap B is obsolete and has been removed
*Fixed red and blu spawn orientation issues
*Fixed displacement issues in the cap C section
*Added pop-up signs! Players should not get lost now!
*Added large glass doors that open on captures. Also keeps players from going the wrong direction
*Reduced # of reflective textures (subtlety, I am working on it...)
*Fixed "No entry" hand for blu spawn 2/red spawn 1. Should be gone by the time blu owns the spawn
*Fixed blu spawn 2 ownership issue (no more suicide when changing class)
*Fixed some texture inconsistencies
*Added player clipping to ALL metal door frames (smoother for players)
*Overall "white" lighting added to colored areas to reduce team identity confusion.
*REDUCED FILESIZE (on request) and I'm working to make it smaller!

Change log from beta 3:

*Pushed back Cap B for balancing
*Solved problem of players getting stuck when riding ontop of the cart in the cavern.
*More optimization
*More detail
*More custom materials
*Map info

Change log from beta 2:

*added player clipping
*added detail, custom decals, props, stock decals
*added more areaportals for better optimization
*pushed back Cap B for better team balance.
*added 2 side tunnels to the cavern for better balance.

Map Facts:

Compile Time: 40 minutes
Map Size: 52 MB - .bz2 Size: 24 MB
Custom Textures: 87 Unique Textures (including normal mapping), all developed by myself.
Build Time: Approx. 1 Month, 4 weeks (December 2008 - January 2008)

Special thanks to tf2maps.net for the contest and encouragement to work my ass off!
Special thanks to Rad Lionheart for the Zig logo concept.
Thanks to all the admins and regulars of DuckSoup-Gaming.com who waited patiently in line to download each and every beta version of Zig, and then gave positive, useful feedback!

Play pl_zig on our TF2 Server:

Ducksoup-gaming.com: 66.150.164.129:27015

Thank you!

Big Rexy/Alex Kreeger
forcingace@gmail.com

Baysin

L2: Junior Member
Feb 14, 2008
Damn. Strictly from a visual perspective, what a feat! I was really just blown away by it in that regard. Top notch, distinctive, and really, in a way, keeping with TF2 style, in as much as still being sort of comic book-ish and not overly realistic. And as I said in game, it really works too, since the whole thing is like that, and you didn't toss in standard textures that clashed with it (or if you did I never noticed them, which is just as good).

The only real problem I noticed, as I mentioned at the time, was that sometimes the lighting caused players to just be dark shadows. You could see them just fine, but you couldn't tell if they were blu or red. I only noticed it in one or two spots, though.

Gameplay wise, I think it all went pretty well. The cart pushed along, got stopped, got going again. It didn't seem like it was ever too hard or too easy to push it, or to defend it. The corridors that led around behind points were great, once I figured them out. They're narrow, which has pros and cons, but I thought it was fine. Of course, I played pyro most of the map, so tight spaces were just fine with me. :) Half an hour is never enough time to get a good sense of gameplay and balance, but my impressions were that it was going just fine.

Awesome map, overall. Probably not going to be everyone's cup of tea, just because of the novel theme, but I really thought it was great.

uma plata

Jan 20, 2009
I really enjoyed Zig

It's telling that of the two rounds we played on Saturday, one ended with defense winning very close to the end, and the other with offense just taking it (with not a lot of time left, I recall). Seems just about right balance wise

And yes, that tunnel is pretty narrow, but nothing wrong with that in my opinion

There were two times I got stuck in one of the red spawn doors, just for a second

The design and texture work are superb, as others have mentioned, really a novel approach that I'm sure will win many over

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
Awesome map, overall. Probably not going to be everyone's cup of tea, just because of the novel theme, but I really thought it was great.

I have discovered either people really enjoy the map--or really don't. At all. There's no middle ground.

Thanks for the suggestions about the lighting. I've improved the 'white' lighting in the map by nearly 200 percent from the beta 4 to the current version--I tend to be a little biased in how the lighting looks because I've seen it improve so much. But having an objective opinion about it should tell me to step it up a little bit more.

uma plata

Jan 20, 2009
I was just thinking this today, and I apologize if it's been mentioned already...

Why would you want Valves dull, greyed out bomb cart model as the focus of your beautiful map?

You need a custom cart that matches the scenery!

Of course, easier said than done, coming from me. I'm no mapper or modeler (yet)

GrimGriz

L10: Glamorous Member
Jan 2, 2009
I'm still waiting for the texture tutorial :)

As I said in my vote post, I think the new textures definitely fit the style of TF2, whether or not they fit the theme. I really enjoy it the more I play it (as I learn the map). My biggest grievance is not being able to build a teleporter entrance at I think the 3rd forward spawn. I didn't really see a reason why I couldn't build one either.

laghlagh

Jul 15, 2008
A custom cart would really be awesome.

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
A custom cart would really be awesome.

I've put a complete hiatus on map building until I've developed more skill, particularly in modeling. The cp_sketch WIP is still coming along, but the concept needs to be flushed out completely first before I start--and I'm having issues with how exactly I want the environment to look. Part of that problem deals with the number of custom meshes I want in my map.

I'm taking a class atm in Lightwave, and I'm going to fill my repertoire as full as possible before starting another project--and that means that zig will get some nice updates as well, one being a custom cart model, maybe some new track models, seeing as how that's something that could change the entire feel of the map. Already zig_b8 has some very good balance fixes, alternate rounds, and capture time alterations. I think now is a good time to mull things over, think about what can drastically improve this project, then finalize the product and move full time to cp_sketch.

Thanks for all your suggestions, zig has a lot of room to grow. More later

laghlagh

Jul 15, 2008
I'm really excited about you learning modelling! You have shown a massive talent in texturing and coming up with cool and original ideas, models would take it to the next level!'

And talking about a cart for pl_zig, here is a model I made for the hell of it after reading ABBAttoir's post. :)
cartwipdo9.jpg

Hahaha, the UV map was laid out terribly and the proportions is all wrong :rolleyes:

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
I'm really excited about you learning modelling! You have shown a massive talent in texturing and coming up with cool and original ideas, models would take it to the next level!'

And talking about a cart for pl_zig, here is a model I made for the hell of it after reading ABBAttoir's post. :)
cartwipdo9.jpg

Hahaha, the UV map was laid out terribly and the proportions is all wrong :rolleyes:

That's something along the lines of what I was thinking about in terms of a custom cart model, essentially, high-powered crystals on a cart that explode when they come in contact with the opposite crystals in the end pit. I actually tried to make brush crystals and then parent them to the empty cart model, but I ended up really not enjoying the outcome at all.

That's still pretty cool though! What software do you like to use?

laghlagh

Jul 15, 2008
That's still pretty cool though! What software do you like to use?
Thank you :)
I started modeling a week ago, so I'm using the free Wings 3D. it's really simple and user-friendly, yet it can't do animation and do nice renders etc. I really enjoyed how easy UV mapping was though, plus it's so easy to export to XSI.