[Contest Entry] pl_frontier

RavenStryker

Former Alias: †Blade†/Xi.Cynx
aa
Nov 25, 2008
Going off of that I would definitely add a different texture to that door in the bottom middle. You were probably going to do that anyways since it doesn't look like your done textureing everything. But figured I would just throw that out there as well.

Chilly

L6: Sharp Member
May 3, 2008
Going off of that I would definitely add a different texture to that door in the bottom middle. You were probably going to do that anyways since it doesn't look like your done textureing everything. But figured I would just throw that out there as well.

I think that's the issue... it's not a door. Youme referred to this as "The small wooden brush" and I think it's just meant to block some of that area. The door comment is interesting though... perhaps an open set of double doors (like shed doors?) would fit that area perfectly and achieve the same result? Some sort of light could be added over the doorway to round out that area nicely.

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
I think you used a bit too much of that wood texture, there's plenty to choose from to give your architecture a bit more variety.

MangyCarface

Mapper
aa
Feb 26, 2008
Getting close. 3d skybox implemented, currently touching up. Quonset huts!

plfrontierbc0026ih2.jpg

plfrontierbc0023nj5.jpg

plfrontierbc0022st7.jpg

plfrontierbc0024fb9.jpg

plfrontierbc0025nr7.jpg

Comments appreciated, but bear in mind everything's still rough. Hoping to release this week :)

laghlagh

Jul 15, 2008
Beautiful! And that's the sky and light I was talking about! (hydro, right?)

NoHeroes

L2: Junior Member
Oct 16, 2008
Getting close. 3d skybox implemented, currently touching up. Quonset huts!

Comments appreciated, but bear in mind everything's still rough. Hoping to release this week :)

Good deal. Your server is waiting ;)

Chilly

May 3, 2008
Looks amazing. You already know I can't wait to get this on our server. :)

Those stacks of rocks seem a little too saturated compared to everything else in the skybox. It might just be me, but they seem like they should be faded a bit to match everything else out there. Your piles of stuff also seem really pointy, which I believe Youme pointed out with one of the carts.

FreeLance_FoX

Sep 6, 2008
I think that skybox made me wet myself a little. I really can't wait to get this one on our server! :D

laghlagh

Jul 15, 2008
plfrontierbc0024fb9.jpg

Seriosuly this is postcard pretty!

Arhurt

May 7, 2008
Wow! I love what you have done with the map so far!

I see that you are using the skybox clouds in front of the backdrop mountains ;) nicely done. I love the skybox man, it's stunning! The last shot of the quarry is pure win and will make for a very nice end goal and a grand end piece of scenery to seal off the map!

I know there are still a million things to do, but this is what makes the difference between a great map and a unique and epic one as you seem quite on the way with this!

toutfou

L3: Member
Sep 8, 2008
Wow! I love what you have done with the map so far!

I see that you are using the skybox clouds in front of the backdrop mountains ;) nicely done. I love the skybox man, it's stunning! The last shot of the quarry is pure win and will make for a very nice end goal and a grand end piece of scenery to seal off the map!

I know there are still a million things to do, but this is what makes the difference between a great map and a unique and epic one as you seem quite on the way with this!

What he said :) Looks amazing, love the use of the clouds.

MangyCarface

Mapper
aa
Feb 26, 2008
Thank you all for the comments :) I was feeling pretty down as I've been working many many many hours a day to polish this up, and the compliments really help. I hope you will all enjoy the final product.

Just finished 3/4 of the spawns... 2 exterior buildings and 3 more interiors await, then soundscape work, cubemaps, conversion of func_brushes to door entities, and finally polishing... sigh.... almost there :)

Chilly,
you're right about the transition but I'm not sure what I can do, it's based on the fog settings for the skybox, and due to the 1/16th scale difference, at some point there may be a disparity :S

Inqwel

Jun 2, 2008
The seam from the sky is a little apparent in this picture. Could you move the mountain in the skybox to the right a little in this picture, possibly?

flubber

L4: Comfortable Member
Nov 16, 2007
Just finished 3/4 of the spawns... 2 exterior buildings and 3 more interiors await, then soundscape work, cubemaps, conversion of func_brushes to door entities, and finally polishing... sigh.... almost there :)

You got 10 minutes.

Arhurt

May 7, 2008
The fog could be thicker down by the treeline, and thinner by the mountaintop, then you'd get that effect. Remember we are seeing it from a bird's eye perspective, but most of the time a player will see it from down below, where I think it will look just fine :)

NoHeroes

Oct 16, 2008

Progress report? Our payload fanatics are chomping at the bit to get this on a 32 player server :thumbup:

Memento Mori

Mar 25, 2008
This map is the greatest custom ever.

But, found a few problems.

In the very first part, as you go into the building to the left at BLU, theres a gap between the two walls.

Pic 1 - engi can build behind this fence near end

Pic 2 - engi can build behind this fence in middle

Pic 3 - gap between buildings (to the left outside first blu spawn)

Pic 4 - same place as pic 2 more clearly

RavenStryker

Former Alias: †Blade†/Xi.Cynx
aa
Nov 25, 2008
nice finds, memento! those are some pretty big flaws too. i hate when i'm running somewhere and unsuspectingly get mowed down by a sentry outside of the playing area.