Competitive matchmaking is confirmed for TF2.

yoseph

L1: Registered
Apr 28, 2015
Yeah I saw that happen in the chat too crash. I would have logged in and helped spam custom maps but I was on my tablet in bed, too much effort.

Lain

lobotomy success story
aa
Jan 8, 2015
They weren't really looking at chat a lot of the time. But i hope they do take into consideration the really good community maps currently being played in leagues.
Also don't let your excitement die just yet, they said that 9v9 wasn't out of the question, it's just not very viable for this small of a community. Here in Australia/NZ we struggle to fill 1 HL lobby every hour or so, but 6s lobbies come and go like the weather, making it a much more viable mode to be played here.

wareya

L420: High Member
Jun 17, 2012
It's not "sixes", just not highlander yet. They might do 8v8, they might for 6v6 with or without different rules, they might do anything. But the logistics of eighteen players plus locked classes together are batshit insane.

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
6s and Highlander are what's established in the comp and lobby community. It would be extremely dumb of Valve to not include both in the matchmaking system and instead opting for some weird format nobody is familiar with or wants.

Also, if they're not considering custom maps we should hammer it into their heads again and again that that's the lifeline of TF2. New shiny hats and cosmetics and (probably) OP/UP weapons mean nothing when there aren't any interesting maps to use them on.

wareya

Jun 17, 2012
Launching with two formats would kill a matchmaking system even for a game of TF2's mediocre size.

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
How does over 70,000 people playing it right now (at the moment of writing) make TF2 mediocre sized. Sure, compared to CS:GO or DOTA 2 it's relatively small but it's still 70,000 people.

Compare that to the just over 60,000 people playing Battlefield Hardline however (at the moment of writing), and suddenly it's not a small number anymore.

Lain

lobotomy success story
aa
Jan 8, 2015
Dota 2 takes around 5 minutes to find a match and CSGO around 2. And the difference between those games and TF2 is that you all fill the same roll among getting into the game, unlike tf2 where having people willing to play medic / demo is always essential.
I think launching with anything more than one mode would slaughter wait times. People aren't willing to wait in a 30 minute queue for a medic/heavy/demo to show up. It just isn't going to happen.

fubarFX

The "raw" in "nodraw"
aa
Jun 1, 2009
Dota 2 takes around 5 minutes to find a match and CSGO around 2. And the difference between those games and TF2 is that you all fill the same roll among getting into the game, unlike tf2 where having people willing to play medic / demo is always essential.
I think launching with anything more than one mode would slaughter wait times. People aren't willing to wait in a 30 minute queue for a medic/heavy/demo to show up. It just isn't going to happen.

they can always make it so that you can play random servers while you wait, much like the auto-join feature. they'll figure something out.

one way you could deal with format/classes would be to have a bunch of checkboxes for the player to specify what he is willing to play, perhaps with preferences and such. That way you only get long wait times if you're very specific in what you want to play and people who are willing to explore different classes/formats are rewarded with faster matchmaking.

it's not rocket science

wareya

Jun 17, 2012
Sounds more complicated in practice than rocket science actually

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
Don't worry, Valve will find a way for it to be so complicated orbital mechanics is child's play compared to it.