Community Project [Concept]

Which gametype?

• Total voters

Zwiffle

L6: Sharp Member
Jun 24, 2008
Just had a thought that maybe you had before - but if you're going to keep the front page updated anyway you might want to add some more information like who is currently working on the map, what they're doing, and the date when the map is to switch hands. I know there are 2 or 3 people working on various things right now, it would be good to have that information available and distinct on the front page. Thanks!

Jamini

L4: Comfortable Member
Nov 14, 2008
I've got all of that except the date that the map is going to switch hands. I'll include that next.

Engineer had to bow out due to a PC problem, I'll be contacting our next participant later today.

Jamini

Nov 14, 2008
Don't worry, that was just your preferance. As it is, having displacements there means you'll get to work sooner than later.

Also, if everyone who submits a point would please add in a point_devshot_camera, once the basic layout comes together and the entities are set up, we can take pictures of each release with relative ease.

Sharr has submitted his layout for the BLU capture point, I will be uploading the VMF along with a zipped BSP shortly. Once the central point is finished we can move on to the secondary spawn rooms. However, please take your time when working on the layouts, and try to keep to a 16HU grid at minimum. I'd rather not have a rushed and shoddy project if I can help it.

Jamini

Nov 14, 2008
The first vmf is here: Here.

I'll be adjusting a few things (mostly making it fully match to a 16x16x16 HU grid to ease our detailing teams) until Sinistarr is finished with his segment.

Zwiffle

L6: Sharp Member
Jun 24, 2008
Yeah, basically it's alpine/alpine-snow, there's another thread where we voted on the theme.

Jamini

Nov 14, 2008
Swamp/Alpine-snow actually. As of right now it's planned for the RED base to be swampy, the BLU base area to be mostly alpine(snow) and for a transitory bit between the two of them (and regular alpine) for the midcaps.

Also, protip: Make sure you have all of your visgroups on when you compile.

Jamini

Nov 14, 2008
All right, I've finally given the blu base point a good once-over. Some things about the layout that concern me:

1. I'm really not a fan of the lack of mobility between the upper and lower levels. While RED has three routes to the point (Two upper on the sides, and one lower in the middle) each of them is entirely separate from the others when they reach the final arena. This lack penalizes whoever holds the point, as Blu needs to run through their spawn to reach the upper levels.

Possible solution: Add some ramps from the lower levels to the higher one on the RED sides of the arena. This will give whichever team holding the middle the chance to take high ground without changing the flow of the battle too greatly.

2. The Blu spawns on this map seem very disconnected and uncomfortable when compared to the main room. I'd like to see all of the defenders spawn in the same room, mostly to encourage a quick defensive set-up.

What I would recommend would be combining and relocating both BLU spawn rooms directly behind the main BLU ramp, and pushing the room itself back 512HU. The rest of the BLU spawn area can be converted into tunnels and passages that both teams can use, giving RED slightly more breathing room on the final point. Also, those passages would be ideal to place health and ammo pickups for BLU for when they are forced to retake their final point.

Other major changes: Added playerclips along areas clearly not designed for player movement.

Last edited:

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
I'm decent at a variety of things. I'll help wherever I'm needed.

Feb 17, 2009
Wow, soory for the criticism , but the submitted map is way too big... I could imagine heavy getting out of the spawn. 1min or so... And than ''Boom headsot''

BTW Shouldnt it be swamp themed?

Jamini

Nov 14, 2008
No. The BLU base is the more alpine-themed segment, the RED base is swampy.

I felt that this segment of the map might be too big at first as well. However after compiling it and moving around to get a good feel for it I think that after a little work with the spawn room location it should be fine for a final mini-round. As stated recently by valve, they feel that a little space between the spawns and the point is good to prevent a player from getting overwhelmed by combat. The current distance between the BLU spawn and the point (and, presumably, the upcoming RED spawn and point) gives players enough time to recollect themselves before returning to the fray.

Also, providing this much space gives us a good number of locations for pickups and side-fights that you are likely to see in a larger battle.

Edit: The current walktimes from the BLU spawn room to the capture point is ten seconds as a heavy. This is identical to the walk from the middle RED entryway.

Last edited:

Tapp

L10: Glamorous Member
Jan 26, 2009
ok, so it's swamp and alpine themed. I'm working on some particle effects for the central point (like some kinda particle beam-base death machine), expect something soon!

J4CK8

L11: Posh Member
Mar 4, 2009
Oh, has this thing started? :blushing:

Last time I visited this thread, there was about 3 pages. Anything important I missed? I got the snow/alpine theme, and it's tc/koth?

Tapp

L10: Glamorous Member
Jan 26, 2009
You said the red base would be swamp? I'm about 3/4 to beta on a map which's layout would be perfect for koth (it's hard to explain without giving it away), so before you start work on the RED base, I'll send you a link and you can have a quick squiz.

Jamini

Nov 14, 2008
Tapp, Evang7 is currently working on the RED base. It would be best to bring up any ideas for that point up with him, as until he submits his VMF the layout of the RED final capture point is entirely out of my hands.

If you would like to use your layout for one of our midcaps, especially if it doesn't favor either side too highly, I would love to see it. Though please understand that we may need to adapt it slightly in order to link it to the other segments.

SiniStarR

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Mar 31, 2009
Ok so this is my WIP. Currently I have one pecie completely done and another side in progress.
RED=Red Spawn
BLUE=Blu Spawn
PURPLE= Detailer Buildings
ORANGE=Detailers Stairs
GREY= Detailer Other
GREY PEOPLE TEX= SiniStarR WIP Boarders
YELLOW= Hallways
Brown= Displacements.

This is my setup of things so you can kinda visualize it.
communityproject-sinistarr0000.jpg

communityproject-sinistarr0001.jpg

communityproject-sinistarr0002.jpg

communityproject-sinistarr0003.jpg

communityproject-sinistarr0004.jpg

communityproject-sinistarr0005.jpg

communityproject-sinistarr0006.jpg

communityproject-sinistarr0007.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2009
Great job SiniStarR.
I hate my computer so much right now... Why couldnt it work for a week more or so :(

Jamini

Nov 14, 2008
The forums were down today, and have just gotten up recently.

Tomorrow is the official deadline for our remaining first two mappers to show us what they have. However, I'm more than willing to give them an extension if they absolutely feel they need it. Please submit a WIP of what you have anyway.

Peace.

Doppler12

L1: Registered
Sep 10, 2009
Hi everyone, I've been reading the thread for a while and thinks its pretty great project, I'm still pretty new at mapping and am absolutely terrible at color schemes (part color blind) and detailing (just don't have the artistic touch) So won't be joining you in the map making process.
Jamini I took a look at your TCKOTH and fixed your multiple ICON problem get the gametype here

Though I will try to help when and where I can. =D