Community Project [Concept]

Which gametype?

• Total voters

Jamini

L4: Comfortable Member
Nov 14, 2008
Icharus, Radaka, are you two trolling again? :p

I'll put you guys in for detailing unless you say otherwise. You silly, silly people mimicking the more humorous "help" threads out there. ^-*

Jamini

Nov 14, 2008
I'm going to give contacting Aly one last day before moving on to the next person in line. Hopefully she'll pull through for us.

Tapp

L10: Glamorous Member
Jan 26, 2009
I couldn't help but notice the white textures. Would this be because nobody sent you custom textures, or would it just be laziness?
EDIT: Oh, and would we have any use for a particle effect to the nature of this
leaves0072.jpg

That would become a massive death-beam upon capture, or simply explode in a flurry of unnecessary special effects? Of course I would make it fit the cap, but just wondering.
Further edit: And finally, I noticed that some of the texture alignment is off on my section, as well as a few other weird little things. Like how a couple of things (like the barn doors and wooden barrels) are somehow under the floor, and as well as not having a face, some overlays seem to have been moved to arbitrary places.

Last edited:

Tapp

Jan 26, 2009
Umm, I know that there are conflicting designs, but we need to try and prevent the kind of re-configurationing going on right now. I'm not asking you to change what we've done, but we definately need to get everybody clear on the layout for the next portion, to avoid further mis-haps.

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
Hey Jamini,

I got the file and all, but im a bit confused on what I'm buildings. You said something about a spawn, but to make both doors connect to a spawn would make it very big. I think it may be easier if I knew what was around it...

Jamini

Nov 14, 2008
Aly, you are designing one of the fighting arenas between the two spawns (so the capture point, and the areas around it. Directly behind the doors outlined in your base VMF are the spawn rooms.

You can download the last posted version of the map here: http://forums.tf2maps.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=2450. You are working on the western side when viewed from the top, between the final RED base and the segment with the waterfall.

If you have any problems, just PM me in steam. I know you've got me on your flist. :)

Jamini

Nov 14, 2008
Tapp, a lot of the problems you are seeing are my fault. I've fixed nearly all of them in the current version of the UCMP-dev (4).

The white textures are mostly textures that I was not sent. For the one person who sent a segment along with a materials folder (it was a single floor texture), I decided not to include it. Quite honestly, textures are more part of the detailing process than the layout process, and I did not feel the need as of yet to include them. As of right now, any missing textures in files I receive have been replaced with stock development textures, as they will be at release.

I've sent every person a VMF that should include the constraints for their segment. If you have any questions I'm almost always on Steam, and I regularly check my private messages. There is also a version of the UCMP available here: http://forums.tf2maps.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=2450. if you need a reference for your work.

Tapp, if it must explode please make it non-lethal special effects (or a small trigger_hurt that deals 20 damage for a second or something. As a TC map, there is a good chance that your stage may get played more than once in a single game.

Radaka, if you are really serious you can be my guest. I'll hand the file over to you after I finish the gameplay entities and you can knock yourself out with pickup placement. :)

Gundam, that side point looks very nice. My only real visual concern is that the ramp up seems a bit long.

Tapp

Jan 26, 2009
Umm, the whole deathbeam/explode thing is for BLU's final cap, so it shouldn't matter. After all, it's kinda like the whole explosion at the end of goldrush. What I was mainly asking was if the particle effect was too much, and that you leave a space there for the explosion/effect. Hopefully the confusion should be done with now that most of the layout is finished, and this is really shaping up to be a great map.

Jamini

Nov 14, 2008
Due to the lateness of one of our mappers getting a start, I'm going to postpone the official due date for the segments in-progress until this Friday. Let me know via PM, Steam, or here if you have any further questions.

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
How about some screens for all the people who are not participating in this? 20 pages... I think it's time :)

Tapp

Jan 26, 2009
Aside from the fact that it's only been 5 pages, I don't think the map is at the "awe and detail" phase, more the "is that supposed to be a building?" phase. But if you really want a look, the vmf is there, and it compiles okay. You could stare at the spawn rooms (the one between the central point and the swamp, in particular), but you're better off not seeing it right now.

Dr. ROCKZO

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Jul 25, 2009
Amen, Rav, If I'm not going to get a go at this, I at least want to give some feedback..

Jamini

Nov 14, 2008
Considering we technically don't even have a map that COMPILES (in reality I do, but technically we do not. It's complicated) screenshots are a little difficult to take.

That being said, Aly sent me some nice screenies of her segment, I hope you all like!

ucmp_aly0000.jpg

ucmp_aly0001.jpg

ucmp_aly0002.jpg

Jamini

Nov 14, 2008
Radaka, I'm going to need to be able to contact you tomorrow, as soon as the map is in a playable state for your contribution. I've added you to my friend's list, it would be nice if you did the same.

Also, due to our coming up onto a workable alpha, I've made an official Steam group for us. If you want to join up, check it out HERE!