[COLLAB] Class Expertise for Map Design

ExtraCheesyPie

L420: High Member
Jan 29, 2015
As a Ninjaneer, Pyro, and Spy main, please add jump and hiding spots.

There's nothing I hate less than being stuck in essentially a Dustbowl stage 3 situation: No way around and no way to hide if I see an enemy. A few dark corners or closets/rooms (great for sneaky teleporters), a ledge that people wouldn't think to look at that I can hide on or place stuff on, and really amazing Engie spots that are only reachable with wranglers, are things that would make players tingle with delight.

Also: (As an engie and spy)
PLESE
PLEASE
PLEASE
ADD AMMO KITS
Nothing more annoying that having to uncloak because there is absolutely 0 ammo in the massive corridor. Place some ammo along the wall, don't be a cheapskate! Also Engies will be happy for any metal they can get. Although remember, too much metal can make Engineering way too easy. Usually a few ammo kits would be appreciated for out of the way corridors/flanks that Spies like to frequent.

Speaking of hallways:
Don't make them too narrow that a Spy can't cloak past without bumping into someone. Either add a crate or shelf or something that the spy can stand on to either dodge/jump over the person, add an alcove, or add a separate path connected to the narrow tunnel.

Remember, don't forget to get vertical! A ledge overlooking something would usually make for great game play. Tons of classes use verticality in different ways, just like there always should be a mix between the enclosed and open.

Zed

Certified Most Crunk™
aa
Aug 7, 2014
Better yet, don't have a map consisting of a bunch of corridors. It's not good design, and it doesn't offer much for anything but Demomen and Snipers.

Last edited:

Kube

Not the correct way to make lasagna
aa
Aug 31, 2014
Scout: As Scout, I enjoy a lot of small elevations and ambush routes. One of the main benefits of playing this class is to make movement not only faster, but easier along routes that you can double-jump across. In short, always think of the Scout, but you probably shouldn't make an area specifically designed for him that would limit the effectiveness of other classes.
Map example: Accessing Nucleus' bottom catwalk

Soldier: I'm certainly not the best Soldier, but I tend to have the best time when I can drop down or shoot down to a playfield, especially ambush-style.
Map example: Above the Sniper decks on Double Cross

Pyro: Pyro takes on a nice buff around corners and through tight spaces, being able to clear out those areas quickly and efficiently.
Map example: Badwater Basin's corners, and the areas around its final cap.

Demoman: This class can be tricky to build for, and might be better served building around, by either nerfing or buffing areas for pipe bombs and stickies.
Map example: Badlands' final cap, and all official control point maps. Also, Lakeside's middle 'hill'.

Heavy: A good Heavy can push a team past a choke, possibly even without an Uber.
Map example: Freight's push to 2nd.

Engineer: A map suitable for Engie's usually doesn't have one single spot to nest; rather, it gives advantages and disadvantages to each sentry placement.
Map example: Mountainlab's final.

Medic: A Medic should be able to find the sidelines when needed, but also be able to rush to offense quickly.
Map example: Gorge's routes to last for offense. Steel in general for defense.

Sniper: A Sniper likes to feel advantaged, just make sure to keep them in check and in lit areas.
Map example: Double Cross' Sniper decks.

Spy: A Spy, like the Scout, enjoys mobility and swiftness, especially when cloaked or disguised.
Map example: Hoodoo's first cap, and Cactus Canyon's final stage.

Finally, if I haven't made this clear enough, take a fly around official maps to see what they do right regarding things like cover, height, light, etc. Also, I know this is a bit more from the mapping perspective than what was asked for, but that's often just how I think. Anyways, enjoy, and happy mapping!

Last edited:

veng

L1: Registered
Jul 22, 2014
Soldier
I pretty much only play solly; and I've never really seen anyone mention the importance of positioning with your rocket. Your rocket comes out the right side of your screen and thats mucho important on how you decide to approach rooms; ideally you'd like to be able to peak with your hitbox as small as possible; so entering a room by turning left.

Also since the rocket comes out the right rocketjumping off walls is easier (alot) if the wall is to your right. Solly's rockets also do aoe so if he is controlling an area if it's enclosed he can shoot a wall and do damage aswell. Sollys are great for denying small rooms with healthkits. As a soldier you pretty much want a wall to your right at all times and an opening to your left.

If you want to create an area where a solly is very powerful; have a small enclosed area where he can control with it opening up to a field where he can run away or get HP. making sure that he can spam with a small hitbox.

mapexample: badwatter on top the buildings that overlook second is pretty good; upward with the small room with ammo/hp on last where the staircase goes up into.

Last edited:

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
My "mains" are Pyro, Sniper and half Demoknight with the Tide Turner, Eyelander and stock Grenade Launcher.

For Pyro: let me go behind the enemies without too much hassle. That's when Pyro is at his/her/its best. Good examples are Badwater's area around B, Barnblitz's building near C (where RED has its second spawn) and the whole back area on Thunder Mountain's last stage around point B.

Sniper: have some Sniper spots that provide some cover to duck behind, and some spots that are wide open but give the Sniper a good vantage point to shoot from. Also: AMMO PACKS. You have no idea how frustrating it is to run out of rifle ammo when you're on a streak. Good examples are again Badwater's hill near BLU's first spawn and the window area around last. Gorge's (A/D) 2nd point has these catwalks around it which are also some good sniper spots.

Demoknight: PLEASE GIVE ME RAMPS TO CHARGE OFF. Just a little ledge can send a Demoknight flying trough the air which makes it so much more fun to do. Just any staircase or hill will do, as long as it has a sharp edge to fly off of. Upward's right staircase near A (from the defender's perspective) is a good example of this.

Xonze

L1: Registered
May 29, 2015
Sniper: I play Sniper a lot, but I'm going to go a different route and not mention what I love, but mistakes I see when building with Sniper in mind. The biggest mistake I see is making areas where a good Sniper can lock down more than one exit from somewhere that is hard to reach. While defending in BarnBlitz, I can take care of all three areas for the last point, but can only see one at a time and the top two are fairly covered on the way in. Block some of the sight-lines and spread out exits so a sniper can flick between spots, but can't middle them.

What makes Sniper fun to play are areas where they can stay back and still cover their team/objective. Again, don't give them sight-lines for everything. Give the other team a way to get to the Sniper. While sitting back and killing everything that comes down the pipe is fun, it sucks for the other team. That doesn't mean make it simple to get to the sniper from the other team's side, but if someone gets in the back, the sniper should be fairly easy to kill.

Ammo and Health: Put it near your sniping spots, but make it so the Sniper has to move. I've played a few custom maps that give great sight-lines AND Ammo and Health right next to it. It makes it very hard to remove a sniper if they're any good. Make the Sniper leave his nest to get health and ammo (have to drop down, or go into the next room over). This gives the other team a break.

Spy: Don't make long spam corridors. There are a lot of weapons now that can one or two shot a spy, and they are easily spammed. Give some room to move around players.

S

saph

I could do almost any of the classes, but I'd prefer to do soldier. I'll work on it later when I get home from school.

S

saph

Soldier
Concepts for Mappers and Players Alike

Overview
Soldiers can roam or straight up push. They can deal high damage, but can still die easily. Below, I will point out some key concepts for soldiers to know.

Height Advantage versus Height Variation
A lot of people say that soldiers like height variation. I can somewhat agree with this, but what most soldiers really like is the height advantage. Most soldiers want this became it is easier to use the splash damage of a rocket hitting the floor to attack some instead of hitting someone directly. For example, look at the inside of Barnblitz (point A). There are steps to my right-hand side with a balcony overseeing the point. There is ammo and health below this. On BLU team, I could be really aggressive and rocket jump up to balcony and clear out the point, or I could clear the point by hitting players directly. Unless you're using the Direct Hit, it'll be hard to clear out RED when pushing and shooting when there is just empty space behind your targets. If you can be higher than your enemies, you will be more successful.

Mobility
As a soldier, it feels like I move slow (in my opinion). Use your kit! A rocket jump or a chain of them can boost you to the front lines or to flank the opposition. Although it can be mobile, I can also use it to gain the height advantage over the enemies. For Process, I can jump to and over mid (C point). This can either help me move across the map, cap the point, and/or get behind the enemy supports (such as snipers and medics). Speed can help you win the game.

Pickups
Naturally, I always like having a way to easily and hastily exit (just in case). Normally, I like to hang close to health kits (if I have the Black Box). Otherwise, if I have any other launcher, I like to find an area with both health and ammo. Soldiers need sustain, even with a Black Box. All classes can hang around a pickup area, but the soldier is great with an painless escape.

Small Areas
Soldiers will dominate in small areas such as tunnels or a small room. Ammo and health packs can help a soldier sustain, but it can also lure enemies into a death trap. Look at Badwater Basin (stairs to overlook on point B). There are stars which confine players to a small area in which they can walk and also, it is a pretty small room in general. Soldiers can spam and hit any player that is running in a small area. Another example is on Upward (stairs by last). There is ammo and health pickups, luring a multitude of players, but the room and stairs are considerably small (making it easy to defend). Soldiers benefit in small areas where the room itself is a trap, but explosives will dominate.

Spread Damage
Soldiers deal high damage with their primary and most secondary weapons. Rockets provide explosions that can kill a whole group and the spread of a shotgun can pick off one or two enemies at low life, when accuracy might be a bit off. Soldiers can alter the course of the brawl with damage flying everywhere.

Viewmodel
This can be changed, but by default settings, it is natural for a soldier to keep a wall on the right and an opening on the left. Any rocket launcher blocks a decent amount of the right-hand side of your screen, but the left is wide open.

Conclusion
The soldier is a strong class that is not only offensive, but also defensive. They can deal high damage, but can also be weak. Soldiers favor being higher up, in small areas, and being able to rocket jump. They also need an easy escape. All of the concepts can help make soldiers better players, but create a balanced environment.

Last edited by a moderator: