Checkpoint

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
The doors on the train cars full of radioactive barrels are on backwards. The writing and locking bars should be on the outside if they were to close.

T

The Asylum

Answers time

Q: Asylum why did you put nobuild EVERYWHERE

A: The only places on the map where I have nobuild are:

- The rocky area in the bases (Where you shouldn't be able to build anyway)
- The railings of the upper walkways (Yes, people WERE able to build on those)
- On top of the computer terminals (I'll be putting up obstructions on top of them so you can't build on top of them regardless)

Q: Why do you hate Engineers?

A: Why does everyone hate 2Fort?

Q: Why is there a big ass Check Point sign in the middle of the map

A: Because it's a train checkpoint, silly. Also to stop Demomen from pipejumping from one end of the map to the other with the intel in tow. No, I will not remove the playerclip from on top of the sign. Ever.

Q: 10 minute time limit!?

A: Some servers were experienceing Never Ending Rounds of Doom (infinite overtime until someone finally won). I'll change it to 20.

T

The Asylum

DID SOMEBODY SAY CHECKPOINT?

No?

Well, update anyway

ctf_checkpoint_b70000.jpg

Spawnrooms are prettified after a lengthy bout of boringness (excuse the cubemaps in this screen, lol)

ctf_checkpoint_b70002.jpg

So are the sniper shields

ctf_checkpoint_b70001.jpg

Oh yes, and here are the new additions to the spytech terminals I mentioned

CHANGES FROM B6

- Small heathkits at the base entrances are now medium healthkits, to give attackers a boost
- Medium ammopacks outside the base entrances are now small ammopacks, to reduce Fungineering sprees
- The flatcar beds now have small healthkits and medium ammopacks on them
- Boxcar colors changed
- And the embarrassing little issue about the boxcar doors has been dealt with too

http://taotd.250free.com/tf/maps/ctf_checkpoint_b7.bsp

Pc_Madness

L4: Comfortable Member
Aug 31, 2009
Really not a fan of the spawn rooms, is there a reason for you dropping down? I saw a few people drop down and then go straight up the ramp and be all "eh?". The ramp doesn't really help, its just an extra level of confusion.

Are we supposed to be dropping in from some kind of vent? :s

Azazoth!

L1: Registered
Feb 6, 2010
... I saw a few people drop down and then go straight up the ramp and be all "eh?"...
This. The problem is that the ramp is closer to where you drop down than any of the other exits - plus, there's a fifty-fifty chance you'll land facing it. So the natural reaction is to go up the ramp... which lands you back where you started. Confusion!

And, yeah, it doesn't make much sense. I like the showers, I like the ENORMOUS ROCKET... but why are they connected? (With a hole in the ceiling, no less?)

ASIDE FROM THAT...

I'm really fond of this map! I'm a member of the target audience, being a card-carrying 2Fort hater, and I think that Checkpoint really does succeed where 2Fort fails. My one real complaint (aside from the spawn-room issue) is that it doesn't feel like there's anywhere for snipers to do their thing. The center is way too cluttered. But that's really it!

T

The Asylum

I like the showers, I like the ENORMOUS ROCKET... but why are they connected? (With a hole in the ceiling, no less?)

Ever gotten the oil in your car changed? It's like a service bay.

My one real complaint (aside from the spawn-room issue) is that it doesn't feel like there's anywhere for snipers to do their thing. The center is way too cluttered. But that's really it!

As opposed to leaving the middle open, and Snipers dominated. Keeping the sides of the map open was the lesser of the two evils

is there a reason for you dropping down?

The spawnrooms are designed so that Engineers are horribly inefficient at building thier stuff. If another class wants to change classes or whatever, they just have to get into the shower room. If an Engineer wants more metal, he has go take the ramp up. This significantly delays the sentry upgrading process, and forces the Engy to leave his stuff unattended for long periods of time.

But yeah, I'll do something about the directional confusion though

Get rid of the sign.

mst3kno.gif

Rikka

L5: Dapper Member
Feb 10, 2009
On one hand, caps definitely come faster than on 2fort. On the other hand, a good 2fort game is funner than playing on this map.

Mar 23, 2010
On one hand, caps definitely come faster than on 2fort. On the other hand, a good 2fort game is funner than playing on this map.

true. I like the idea, but defending isn't fun at all, even while not playing engy.

T

The Asylum

true. I like the idea, but defending isn't fun at all, even while not playing engy.

Then it's mission accomplished here.

As opposed to a bad game of 2Fort, where nobody gets anywhere at all?

But anyway, we're finally out of beta, and into RC. This may take awhile of course, as I'm finally going to fix the cliff faces outside the base, and deal with those ugly shadows under the decks.

checkpoint_rc1_dev.jpg

Looks good so far, but then again, so does everything at first.... :glare:

Apr 19, 2009
The displacements are looking much better. However, I think the real problem is how small everything feels. I alway feels like I can hardy fit though the doors and that everything is so compact that its frustrating to navigate anywhere.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
T

The Asylum

Yes, they were pretty bad huh

Anyway, work on the current, final cliff face is giving me a major headache, so I prettied up the spawnrooms. Pics:

ctf_checkpoint_rc1_fuckin_lightmaps0000.jpg

ctf_checkpoint_rc1_fuckin_lightmaps0001.jpg

New floors, props, and overlays. Spawnrooms are done. All that remains at this point is fixing the ugly shadows under the decks, and *groan* the cliff faces.

T

The Asylum

Progress update time

ctf_checkpoint_rc10001.jpg

Team bases get some cable rigging

ctf_checkpoint_rc10002.jpg

Moar spawnroom, including the solution to the initial directional confusion (ignore the grate, that's just for show)

ctf_checkpoint_rc10003.jpg

The "Navajo Long Walk" gets a facelift too.

ctf_checkpoint_rc10004.jpg

And the sign in the middle has been stretched up a little, to tighten up the margin of error for Pipejump-happy Demomen, and reduce Sniperfests. This hasn't been tested in previous builds yet, but if shit doesn't work out, I can always shrink it back down to normal.

Also, you can see my work on the new cliff faces. The faces themselves were easy- the tops are a motherfucker and a half :glare:

First RC build should be ready just in time for the Engineer update. How convenient....

T

The Asylum

so yeah, RC1's been done for quite awhile now. I was waiting for Valve to release the Engineer update, but of course, when they said it was "coming soon," I failed to factor in Valve Time.

So, here is RC1. You can test it out anytime at 209.247.83.59:27015

CHANGES FROM B7

- Heightened the middle sign a little
- Greatly improved the cliff faces of the bases, the skinny ramps are not as tight-packed as they were before
- And tons of cosmetic changes and additions all up in this bitch

Last edited by a moderator:
T

The Asylum

Ok guys, we're going to be playing us some goddamn checkpoint

209.247.83.59:27015, Thurs June 17, 5:00 US/Central, no crits

5 rounds or 20 minutes, whichever we hit first

Be there pls