Check if a player is alive by targetname?

Mar 2, 2018
***Solved: using two filter_multis that OR all filter_tf_classes actually can detect if a player is alive!**

Basically I have a single named player and I want to check if they are alive, I tried using a trigger_multiple and using a touch test but it seems to act as if the player's not there, (probably because they were named after they entered the trigger?) so anyways I'll be glad to hear any ideas you guys have

I also thought of adding a condition and then using a filter_condition but it seems too complicated, there must be a simpler solution using a trigger that travels at high speed across the map is similarly too "expensive" of a solution I believe

Also it might help to explain the exact conditions and situation, so I cycle through all players on the server with a game_player_zone entity that names players one at a time with a button press, after that all I have is a named player that I wish to be able to kill with another button that has a cooldown.
I don't want the kill button's cooldown to activate if it is used when the player is dead or a spectator (because game_player_zone picks spectators too apparently) so I planned on using a filter_multi that ORs the red and blu team and the targetname that is given to the player on a trigger_multiple with a touchtest but it won't work because the player was named after they had entered the trigger meaning they technically aren't touching it therefore I am looking for a simpler method of solving this issue and god bless you if you've read through all this crap shitty grammar and scrambled words.

Last edited:

DonutVikingChap

L5: Dapper Member
Mar 15, 2013
How are you using the touch test exactly? I would've done something like this:

<activator entity>:
<activator output> -> trigger_multiple -> TouchTest

trigger_multiple:
OnTouching -> filter_activator_name -> TestActivator

filter_activator_name (with Name keyvalue set to the name of the player):
OnPass -> <target entity> -> <target input>

Mar 2, 2018
How are you using the touch test exactly? I would've done something like this:

<activator entity>:
<activator output> -> trigger_multiple -> TouchTest

trigger_multiple:
OnTouching -> filter_activator_name -> TestActivator

filter_activator_name (with Name keyvalue set to the name of the player):
OnPass -> <target entity> -> <target input>
Aight so I checked some stuff since I made this post and apparently the reason it didn't work in the first place or using your method is that the touchtest output sets the activator and the caller to be the trigger itself and not the player(s) inside it.
Thanks for trying to help though.
Edit: to clarify, both methods won't work because touch test works with entities that have already starttouched the trigger and the touchtest output's activator and caller are always the trigger itself