Campaign Maps and TF2 - a "working plan"

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
Instead however, they should make it more reliant on the workshop where a map only gets downloaded when you want to play it, and culled when you havent played it for months. But still remain permanently in the rotation. Only the realy popular maps are downloaded in the update itself, and when in a vote a certain map would be selected it just should pre-download the map.

I really like this solution a lot. Then people who have favourite yet unpopular maps can still play them regularly but everyone gets a reduced disk size based on their playing habits.

Jekyllson

L3: Member
Jun 20, 2015
May I ask for a clarification? Fr0z3n, you mentioned that the maps would still be tied to the Workshop links, and you would redownload them if you ever joined a server running that map. Does that mean that the culled maps would still be part of the official server rotation, so you could vote to change to that map, at which point you would automatically download the map?

I also don't understand what difference it makes whether or not the Arena maps get culled. They're already not part of the official rotation, and wouldn't they just get downloaded if you ever played them on a community server?

One more question: would this be standardized popularity, or would be based on the game mode? Because I can say with some certainty that pretty much every Payload map is more popular than all the Mannpower maps. That said, Mannpower seems to have a pretty strong subcommunity going for it who would be heartbroken if the game mode were removed from Quickplay.

In general, I'm in favour of it, but only if it involves cutting maps that really *do* probably deserve to be cut, like the Arena maps, ctf_well, Snowplow, and Asteroid (I love RD, but the latest version of Asteroid is just attracting dust in its 30 empty beta servers, whereas at least Cactus Canyon is still relatively popular).

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Oh yeah, any and all maps that are in beta should probably be relegated to the Workshop just as general policy. Remember, this is a free-to-play game, so a lot of people are likely to want to download it just to check it out; no sense forcing them to download the maps that newbies are least likely to be interested in.

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
May I ask for a clarification? Fr0z3n, you mentioned that the maps would still be tied to the Workshop links, and you would redownload them if you ever joined a server running that map. Does that mean that the culled maps would still be part of the official server rotation, so you could vote to change to that map, at which point you would automatically download the map?

As I understand it, yes it would? I could be wrong however. Like I said in the OP when I was having this discussion was a dash tired and forgot some important infos.