Blast Pit

Discussion in 'Map Factory' started by Radaka, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Radaka

Radaka L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    koth_blastpit is a koth map that attempts to bring forth a special type of layout and gameplay commonly attempted but rarely executed properly--vertical combat.

Hello again everyone! After a small hiatus from TF2 Mapping, I got the inspiration to finish a full map. I decided to start small, and I took the aspects of current TF2 maps that I love the most to bring you this map: koth_blastpit.

I accept any form of feedback, regardless of the type.

Enjoy!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  2. tovilovan

tovilovan L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    What is this I don't even.

I'll post comments here after the first pictures.

EDIT: Looks like there might be some interesting combat in those areas, although it looks a bit tight almost claustrophobic with the high walls surrounding the map. Hard to tell how it plays from the pictures only, I'll give it a runthrough and see what I can find. Good luck on achieving interesting vertical combat - like you say it's hard to execute properly.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  3. Dr. ROCKZO

Dr. ROCKZO L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    <STRIKE>Uh. *Reserved*</STRIKE>

Unnecessary fall damage would be annoying, so even if the theme is Height Variation I'd make sure that the mid ground to floor doesn't inflict it. I'll try to get a play through soon, find the dragons. :p

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  4. Tinker

aa Tinker

Positive Ratings:
    Very nice, flows very well, few points after playtest:

- Sideareas directly next to the spawn seem pretty useless.
    - Ground is just a little too low, heighten it to have no fall damage
    - Lower the window a little so sentries can shoot through, or heighten it so it's clear they can't

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Radaka

Positive Ratings:
    I'll fix the ground and that window, but the sideareas around the spawn are there to prevent spawncamping (at least I didn't hear any complaints about spawncamping).

6. absurdistof

aa absurdistof

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah spawncamping was pretty minimal, but as you said, perhaps raising the gound floor at the middle CP could help.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Radaka

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah, first change will be raising the bottom floor up and making the side paths more appealing. Thanks for the input everyone, it's been most helpful :)

8. Mr. P. Kiwi

Mr. P. Kiwi L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    You could also play test the game without "human" help, by using the TF2_Bots!
    It is very useful for your alpha map.
    Check what the bots are doing to get an idea if the map will be FUN to play,
    and not only colorful.
    Good luck with the map, I can't wait to see progress on this one!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Okrag

aa Okrag Wall Staples

Positive Ratings:
    [​IMG]

Often I found it extremely easy to get behind enemies up on that ledge by going through the bottom path. I suggest you move the entrance on the ledge to the location specified in the image above as to funnel any usurpers to one side of the team.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. MrAlBobo

MrAlBobo L13: Stunning Member

Positive Ratings:
    ignore people saying its not engie friendly enough, played engie alot, and considering its koth the sentry balance is fine...I highly dislike that there isn't anywhere I can stick a teleporter that it won't be killed in moments though

should probably drop that health below the point to a medium, and id like a small ammo pack somewhere in that same room

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Radaka

Positive Ratings:
    I've been making good progress with the detailing, and having a blast at it too! I'm done working for tonight, and I thought I could throw up some screenies of what I have so far :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. The Political Gamer

aa The Political Gamer

Positive Ratings:
    The dustbowl theme fits it perfectly.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Sikyanakotik

Sikyanakotik L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I'm really enjoying this map, both with humans and with bots. Of course, I may be a bit biased, seeing as I've always preferred maps with a good amount of verticality over flatter maps.

Some notes I've, erm, noted:

• The sentry spot on the battlements is powerful, yet vulnerable to players coming from behind if unprotected. This is pretty much optimal, and fun for a commando Demoman.
    • The three exits from spawn were extremely welcome when playing with bots. You know how they love to spawn camp.
    • It's a very nice touch that a player (at least Demoman or faster -- I haven't tried Soldier or Heavy) can walk off the battlements and land right on the spire. It helps make them feel like part of the combat area, not just a space apart.
    • It may be a bit too easy to get behind enemy lines. I've noticed that when I start capping the point, allies would usually approach me from the enemy side, and vice-versa.
    • If a Pyro comes up the spire ramps and isn't spotted, he can often devastate the point quite easily. A natural result of having a spire in the first place, I suppose.
    • The bots seem to think building a sentry behind the wooden panels on the battlements is helpful. I think they're getting confused by the small gaps between them.

All in all, I'm having a lot of fun with this map. I can't wait to play the next version! :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. zpqrei

aa zpqrei Theme Changer Extraordinaire

Positive Ratings:
    Loved A4, looking forward to it being detailed! <3

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. owly-oop

aa owly-oop im birb

Positive Ratings:
    finish it now, i want to play it D:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Radaka

Positive Ratings:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's the stuff that I've detailed so far :) I should be getting a new version out to playtest either later tonight or tomorrow.

17. owly-oop

aa owly-oop im birb

Positive Ratings:
    Detailing is nailing the dustbowl theme really well!

Although the 4th pic, supports do look akward

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Rikka

Rikka L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    Looks great, though I have to second the supports looking odd. Maybe because of the walls slanting at angles.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  19. Radaka

Positive Ratings:
    Alpha 5 Released!

Changelog:

Alpha 5
    -Detailed middle area and tunnels
    -Rebuilt areas outside of spawns
    -Changed lighting and skybox to that of cp_dustbowl

To do: Optimize, playtest, and detail the rest of the map!

20. Radaka

Positive Ratings:
    Playtest bump.