Blackwood Valley

ARENA Blackwood Valley Final

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
This map, without fail, crashes my game.

Wish I could play.

Feb 14, 2008
It crashes my game too, whilst loading the map.

I'm running in dx8.

Mr.Blob

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Jun 12, 2009
Awesome... plain and simple - this is awesome!

By the way, I love the explosion. ^^

Jan 31, 2008
After playing rc2 I've got some feedback for you.
This map looks great. The detailing work done on it is really well done.
The only thing you should add when it comes to aesthetics, is some more light around vital gameplay areas (Doorways, balconies etc).

As for the gameplay; the layout is very uninteresting. The map is basically a rectangle (Marked yellow) with four balconies (Marked blue) and two small dead-end rooms with windows (Marked red):
arena_blackwood_01.jpg

There is absolutely no flanking route whatsoever. There is only one path leading to the other side which is right through the center of the map. It hurts close range classes as they have to go past such an open area. I strongly recommend that you add alternate paths to the other team's side and some more interesting geometry where classes can use vertical battle in the middle area. I am aware that you mentioned it was designed for 10 players and below, but I can't see how this map would be interesting to play with any amount of players. You've got talent in detailing, but the layout needs alot of work.

Cerious

L420: High Member
Aug 10, 2008
Definitely agreed. It's just flat land, a pretty explosion, some balconies, and just a spamfest overall. No interesting map geometry or advantages/disadvantages on either side of the map for teams to use (besides balconies). Detailing is nice but maybe you should refine gameplay first.

Hellfire

L9: Fashionable Member
Jul 9, 2008
yor map is now a part of Netorn #1 arena server rotation (89.222.192.200:27027)
it was well-recieved and got positive feedbacks

MangyCarface

Mapper
aa
Feb 26, 2008
So is the middle layout gonna be re-examined or...?

An easy one: Remove planks across middle. Cap is now a bridge. Add drop downs in the red-squared huts in Ace's picture that lead down into the middle canal. Ramps to floor-level next to point or wherever. Not gonna fix everything but that's a start

Void

Local Man Unable To Map, Sources Say
aa
Sep 14, 2008
Yeah that'd work. Could also make the layout more... bulgy. Viaduct-like.

MangyCarface

Mapper
aa
Feb 26, 2008
Current version's player options:
1. Fight across the middle (spam! spam!)
2. Sit back on high shit (spam!)
3. Walk up ramp into dead-end and spam downwards
4. RJ across the map into the enemy
Kinda borin'.

Proposed changes:
-Green sections are where you should remove planks
-Red is new/altered geometry
-Brown + grey are new walls
arena_blackwood_rc20000.jpg

arena_blackwood_rc20001.jpg

Post-changes:
1. Push onto the point and use walls for cover
2. Spam from the dead-end and drop down into the tunnel to push onto the point
3. Cross the map using the passage under the CP and RJ into the enemy's former dead end

It's a start, at least. For this to be much better you'd have to turn the drop downs into full staircases, even making that entire room and downwards into the new underground areas into a singular stairwell.

There's another option, which is removing a large portion of the empty space in the middle by taking the dead end rooms and their associated sides, and moving it all forward until the dead end rooms are sitting right above the water tunnel. Then, you could have a catwalk across the top of the point, and if you removed some of the windows of the dead end rooms, there'd be a bit more choice for players

Last edited:

zpqrei

Theme Changer Extraordinaire
aa
Oct 19, 2008
Current version's player options:
1. Fight across the middle (spam! spam!)
2. Sit back on high shit (spam!)
3. Walk up ramp into dead-end and spam downwards
4. RJ across the map into the enemy
Kinda borin'.

Proposed changes:
-Green sections are where you should remove planks
-Red is new/altered geometry
-Brown + grey are new walls
arena_blackwood_rc20000.jpg

arena_blackwood_rc20001.jpg

Post-changes:
1. Push onto the point and use walls for cover
2. Spam from the dead-end and drop down into the tunnel to push onto the point
3. Cross the map using the passage under the CP and RJ into the enemy's former dead end

It's a start, at least. For this to be much better you'd have to turn the drop downs into full staircases, even making that entire room and downwards into the new underground areas into a singular stairwell.

There's another option, which is removing a large portion of the empty space in the middle by taking the dead end rooms and their associated sides, and moving it all forward until the dead end rooms are sitting right above the water tunnel. Then, you could have a catwalk across the top of the point, and if you removed some of the windows of the dead end rooms, there'd be a bit more choice for players

Wow. Thank you, we'll defiantly look into this! :D

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
I think the two buildings closest to the control point need to be looked at. A window or another exit would make them more than just death traps.

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
I already made my gameday comment.

I think the two buildings closest to the control point need to be looked at. A window or another exit would make them more than just death traps.