[BETA]Dom_Complex

TheBladeRoden

L420: High Member
Oct 26, 2007
Hey Roden, I absolutely love what you are doing with the scoring system in this map. I was wondering if I could use your system for my own map. The TFC map canalzone2 that I would like to remake had the exact kind of scoring system that you have implemented here.

I am especially impressed by your inclusion of a scoring device in the HUD. I figured that not having such a system was the biggest limitation for my map, since people would be unlikely to wanna play if they could not always see what the score is.

I realize that it probably took you hours and hours to get everything working correctly, so I would hate to borrow your work and them someone cry foul. So if you would rather I try and create my own scoring system I will understand.

Also, if it is actually possible to display stuff like this in the HUD, is it also possible to create other things, like boxes to encase the numbers? While the scoring system is very nice, the numbers are admittedly hard to see against some textures. Would be awesome to create a box and font style like the one that displays the score in CTF games.

Keep up the good work Roden.

Yeah, you can use the scoring system, though credit is always appreciated!

Sadly, between two different text entities, one's easier to read, and the other you can position anywhere on the hud, but no one to do both. Such is the way of the Valve.

TheBladeRoden

Oct 26, 2007
Alright, in response to the recent game day play tests, I'm working in some more gameplay changes (I'll get to the graphics one of these days, yet!)

1. Made the percentages go up 20% slower to provide more opportunity for conventional victories.

2. Made it so players won't spawn in a room with an enemy presence unless there's no alternative. (sounds simple, but god damn did that take all day to get working!)

Last edited:

lerlerson

L2: Junior Member
Nov 27, 2007
Yeah, I think that if a person can't figure out how to play the map after reading that starting screen, they probably shouldn't be playing 2.

Anyways, the map's looking great, keep up the good work. Played the latest beta a couple of times, great fun.

If this map becomes popular, you should make another Dom_map, and see if you can get Domination going as a custom gametype that everybody knows about, a la Fragyard. Except Fragyard sucked. Nevermind.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
nice, you really are putting everything into this. NOW MAKE IT PRETTIER!!!!!!

then make another ;D

TheBladeRoden

Oct 26, 2007
Updated 2/29/08

v0.3e Changes

Bug Fixes
-Fixed cubemaps not working (hopefully)
-Hopefully fixed the menu objective text not showing up.

Feature Additions
-Made it so you don't spawn in a room with an enemy present unless there's no alternative (i.e. You're down to only one CP)
-Made it so players getting out of jail will have a temporary quick respawn
-Added menu photos to hopefully make objectives clearer.

Other Changes
-Changed all the HL2 textures to orange textures, so now it looks even uglier!
-Made the Domination points go up 20% more slowly to allow more time for conventional victories.

Last edited:

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
my biggest complaint is...

you still haven't finished it =p

but next to that, this spot seems a little to much for a Eng.

dom_complex_b3e0002.jpg

R3dRuM

L6: Sharp Member
Feb 13, 2008
Dj gotz soem wall hax!

Kidding, but theres alot of secret spots for sentry's, because all other spots are crap. I think it balances the game, when i always played it was alway 5v5 scouts only, no body was any other class because they were considered useless. But engi does have some good spots.

TheBladeRoden

Oct 26, 2007
Right, well, I've forgone tweaking the gameplay for the time being and started working on getting rid of the orange rooms.

complexpromo5_OOr.jpg

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
D: Tell you what i didn't expect to see... wow, just wow.

Having played that more then a few times i wouldn't have imagined a room like that looks GREAT.

i love the floor/ceiling support, nice touch =p

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
whooo! nice looking. Aslong as all those little sticky outy bits are playerclipped off so you can run past them smoothy that will be awesome!

:D

ryodoan

Resident Bum
Nov 2, 2007
Wow, that looks awesome. I cant wait to play it on a future game day. If you could get a version finished by friday that would be amazing.

TheBladeRoden

Oct 26, 2007
Do you really want me to upload a new version with only 3 rooms changed graphics-wise?

TheBladeRoden

Oct 26, 2007
Updated my jingoists!

v0.4 Changes
-Put some more visuals in there
-Added soundscapes
-Added new versions of the sign models that have gray skins
-Added a 45 second setup in hopes to curb scout rushing
-Added a 10 second grace period at the beginning of a round to switch classes without dying