Basalt

KotH Basalt rc2

S.W.A.T.Y

Banned
Sep 28, 2008
Changed the lighting and removed the dirt tracks.

EDIT: shit, i just noticed I forgot to remove the dirt tracks on the left side.

1694xeb.jpg

2h6do5u.jpg

nv9vkg.jpg

m7exsg.jpg

Last edited:

S.W.A.T.Y

Banned
Sep 28, 2008
Some gameplay changes.

Added two spawn exits.
2zqyib7.jpg

Added more detail to mid and reworked the left entrance.
t4zj4n.jpg

dfwo5x.jpg

2lwsvut.jpg

Other changes too, but too lazy to take more pics.

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
Cool. Sign it up for a gameday some time.

Void

Local Man Unable To Map, Sources Say
aa
Sep 14, 2008
If I know my skyboxes - and believe me, I do - then your lighting doesn't line up with the sun that is painted on to the Badlands's skybox. Noticeably here. The top left of that picture is where sky_badlands_01rt is, in other words, the sun is behind that building on the left. Obviously the shadows are rebelling in some way, as they are going towards the pained sun on the texture. Simple solution would be to rotate the map. Much more expensive and idiotic option - which I do not endorse - is to remove the painted sun from the skybox texture. Alternatively, 3D Skybox displacements can be created to ensure the painted sun is not seen from a gameplay area. Note that that is used in Hydro to cover up a minor seam at the bottom of one of the textures.

Uriak

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Apr 27, 2008
I'll try to have a map test on our server. Is your control point designed for quick or lenghty capture process ? Is there any gameplay feature you'd want specifically inquired ?

Nice detailing job, good luck for the sunlight fixing job. ;)

Uriak

Apr 27, 2008
Playtested, with vanilla settings (12v12, no IR, etc)

The map is well detailed and has some great height variations. Gameplay wise though, almost everyone found your control point too exposed. Side buildings and rocks are too isolated to provide usable cover. SO on both rounds, the Control point was contested the first 2 minutes but once a team took it they easily dug in. Demo and soldier spam from the CP, and pyros + scout circling into the surroundings. With two main direction to come from, every attack wave was too easily dealt with.

S.W.A.T.Y

Banned
Sep 28, 2008
Thanks for playtesting it, I know that b1 is too open around mid. I have made a ton of changes in b2 and most of those things are fixed. I'll try to get b2 out today or tomorrow and if you did another test on b2 then I'd really appreciate it. :D

sniprpenguin

L6: Sharp Member
Mar 14, 2008
My clan recently tried this out as a possible map to add to our rotation. While playing, I came up with a few thoughts on it.

1) The mid area is too open. It seems you've already covered this, so yeah.

2) We found ourselves taking the shortest and straightest route to the point, which was straight-thru the building and onto the wooden path. We eliminated using any sidepaths to it as they took much longer to take to get to the action and then left you in a bad position of having the low ground. This could perhaps be fixed with possibly something like a wooden platform extending across the face of the building leading from the side-area.

All-in-all, decent map that needs work. As it stood, it really came down to the straight route to the point, whereas that area is probably not even a third of the map.

S.W.A.T.Y

Banned
Sep 28, 2008
My clan recently tried this out as a possible map to add to our rotation. While playing, I came up with a few thoughts on it.

1) The mid area is too open. It seems you've already covered this, so yeah.

2) We found ourselves taking the shortest and straightest route to the point, which was straight-thru the building and onto the wooden path. We eliminated using any sidepaths to it as they took much longer to take to get to the action and then left you in a bad position of having the low ground. This could perhaps be fixed with possibly something like a wooden platform extending across the face of the building leading from the side-area.

All-in-all, decent map that needs work. As it stood, it really came down to the straight route to the point, whereas that area is probably not even a third of the map.

Yeah, in beta 2 the mid area is fixed like you said. Also in beta 2 I have redesigned all the routes so they are the same. Doesn't matter which route you take in beta 2 they all get you to mid at the same time so thats fixed too. Thanks for checking it out. I'll hopefully have beta 2 by this week.

cardo

L1: Registered
Oct 4, 2008
I like it S.W.A.T.Y,

Still very fastlane-ish but that's never a bad thing, and I love the displacement work!

Uriak

Apr 27, 2008
S.W.A.T.Y., if you wish we can playtest the layout changes (with demo) before you do too much detailing. It would make possible fixes easier. Contact me anytime.

Feb 14, 2008
Every single hoodoo is ripped from Badlands and resized. Tis not good.

Gerbil

aa
Feb 6, 2009
From the screenshot I can see that the windows on the top of the middle building are casting some pretty ugly shadows. And all the rocks near the point look identical. Try making them individually in case you copied and transformed them. It'll look a lot better.

S.W.A.T.Y

Banned
Sep 28, 2008
Beta 2 is out. Updated first post with pic and info

Change Log from B1 to b2

-Added two spawn exits.
-Fixed a ton of playerclipping issues.
-Added more detail.
-Improved FPS.
-Reworked the mid area.
-Reworked the 2nd and the 3rd route.
-Changed the theme of the map.
-Fixed a ton of visual problems.
-Added more cover around the mid.
-Added a connector between the left and right building.
-Added fog to the map
-Added more health/ammo.
-Ton of other changes as well but can't remember right now.

-------------------------

Thanks to:

-Chang
-BloodSire -AA-
-Sean
-Killa
-Hobo
-Chud
-Fishy
-Ratty
-Mountain Dew
-EaggeR

thesquid

L1: Registered
Jan 26, 2010
Only one real concern from me: basalt is a black igneous rock. Your map contains no basalt, despite being named koth_basalt. From a geologist's viewpoint, I would suggest either changing the name or the rock textures, for accuracy's sake.