Azumith v2

CP Azumith v2 v2_a7

SuperLuxDeluxe

L3: Member
Mar 13, 2021
SuperLuxDeluxe submitted a new resource:

azumith v2 - Again! For Grizzly Berry's 10-day contest

As Blu, push from a river dock through Red's corn field and whiskey distillery to their "secret" rocket base!

A remake/re-imagining of cp_azumith with similar point concepts but completely different geo that probably still sucks!
Featuring a "unique" take on a cp_gorge style last!

Made for Grizzly Berry's 10 day mapping contest. Took five days to make an a1 due to work and now the testing servers are broken so I can't get feedback

Screenshots:
[/spoiler]...

Read more about this resource...

PigPig

Entitled Elitist
Apr 27, 2015
View: https://youtu.be/eO7tMOKeVL4

I did a "theory craft" so to say. Sometimes I say a whole bunch of nothing followed by "yeah so". I apologize if anything in here is in any way deconstructve or harmful.

I have no playtest to back my claims, just past mapping experience. Take and leave what you want, im in no way saying im always right. Only saying im opinionated.

Add me on discord for a followup if anything I say isnt clear (A lot of what I say isn't)

Take care.

SuperLuxDeluxe

Mar 13, 2021
View: https://youtu.be/eO7tMOKeVL4

I did a "theory craft" so to say. Sometimes I say a whole bunch of nothing followed by "yeah so". I apologize if anything in here is in any way deconstructve or harmful.

I have no playtest to back my claims, just past mapping experience. Take and leave what you want, im in no way saying im always right. Only saying im opinionated.

Add me on discord for a followup if anything I say isnt clear (A lot of what I say isn't)

Take care.
Thanks a lot! I made some comments in the Youtube video, but I'll put them here for posterity I guess?

Hey thanks! I've been burning the midnight oil so to say working on this for Grizzly Berry's 10-day contest while working a job 6 days a week so I definitely made a few mistakes, especially with clipping/flow.

Definitely going to remove the tiny door on Blu spawn that you can spam into spawn through, probably will move it to the cliff instead. I'll keep the barn on A right now but just clip off the roof. I meant to clip off just the upper roof but realized that it doesn't make a whole lot of sense since it's only 128 above the lower roof so I'm just clipping off the whole thing.

Since this is a 3 point CP map, I did kind of want to make A fairly easy for Blu to cap, so that SvS advantage for Blu is intentional. I want Red to recognize that committing super hard to A is a dangerous idea when Blu can hold their retreat flank. I hope that if they feel like they're in danger, they'll try and switch to a more passive hold near their entrance and then pull back into B lobby. Sniper can definitely pull A pick but probably not more than a player or two. I think you may be right with making sniper move to the terrain route to A as opposed to letting them hang back in the comfy building. I have that balcony in that building there for Red to set up a sentry or hold from for a bit. It's also a drop down so Red can't push up into Blu's spawn from there - Red has to pull out of that area if they lose it so they can't take back the lawn area in front of Blu's spawn. Red pretty much only has that one terrain ramp to get back up on the highground in the Blu spawn lobby so Blu really has to fuck up if Red is to retake that. I think it's good so Blu can feel like they're not super pressured in spawn for a long time. As soon as they get a pick or two, Red will fall back to the A point and Blu will be able to relax a bit before staging an attack on A.

As far as the balcony goes for Blu attacking the B lobby, I have it there so Blu can hold their lobby fairly well with an engie or whatever and Red can't just push in and annihilate super easily - A really good uber push would be needed. Red can see if Blu has an engie/players up there, but they're still put at a disadvantage having to not only attack players in front of them but also players on the high ground behind them. It really sucks as Blu when you can't even hold a lobby. I'll take out the room in front of the window wall because it doesn't make a whole lot of sense and the cover for Red players there would suck for Blu to deal with I believe as well. I think your edit made A a little too open - A sniper can pretty easily hold at the entrance for Red and shut down most entrances for Blu without having to rotate. In addition a lot of the combat distances would be made super long which would make it kind of not great to play as a lot of classes. the lack of cover to play around would be frustrating for medic especially and it also would make combat around the point a bit samey I feel.

I actually originally had a door on the left of the B lobby to prevent Red players from walking to the left when rolling out of forward spawn so they would just route to A, but I realized that if A is being captured then they would probably want to have good access to the upper balcony/Blu forward spawn area on B so that they can start a hold there. I noticed you have overlays off for some reason - I do have an overlay that points players right to A, but I suppose I can just change that with a sign model if need be? At least you don't have to walk super long to notice that the left route is sealed off and maybe players will recognize that "oh, there's a route here that will open at some point. I should be aware of this." IDK

As far as some of the doorways being narrow/short, I mostly have them like that to prevent crack sightlines (as you noticed in your edit) and for performance. I'll try to open some more on the main routes at least for rolling into lobbies.

I would consider making the window on the forward spawn area for Blu less cramped to walk/shoot through, but I am trying to keep a little bit of aesthetics in mind. I want to give Blu an advantage from this area as well, but not something that will 100% ensure B capture for them too. It does suck a bit for soldier/demo rollout from there, but it also would kind of suck trying to jump in that low ceiling area anyways, so I don't know if making it taller or wider will make a huge difference as far as that is concerned. I kind of just want that area to be a bit protected for Blu to set up in when attacking B and for engies to have a safe, but not 100% safe place to set up a teleport entrance for attacking C.

The second route in to the lobby for C does suck, haha. I originally had it connect in a different position and didn't bother to change the stairs. Definitely going to make it so that the stairs are just against the back wall so Red can't just hold that super easily and so the routing is shorter/better.

I have only the one ramp there in the C lobby so Blu can access the catwalk a lot easier from their routes than Red can while still allowing Blu to retreat if need be. I just don't want Red to be easily able to wipe out a Blu lobby as I said earlier. I definitely got rid of the "noob trap" hiding under the catwalk there as well.

I did have the drop-down to C in the same location you had in the edit, but someone else noted that it drops you in pretty much the same place as the right exit of the main route for Blu. Drop-downs are already really vulnerable to commit to so upon their advice I moved it to that little side route area. Red can still hold that area pretty easily since it is narrow and there's pickups there for engie or whoever but Blu is no longer just out in the open right next to the spam the main route is getting. Red will have to rotate or hold more than one position to take care of them. Still not super confident in it, but again a lot of this is just kind of guessing especially since we haven't been able to test the map yet.

Anyways, thanks again! A lot of this is helpful.

SuperLuxDeluxe

Mar 13, 2021
SuperLuxDeluxe updated azumith v2 with a new update entry:

Minor fixes before test

I have implemented some changes with feedback from PigPig before the first test.

Changes:
  • Removed existing smallest exit from Blu spawn as Red could spam through it into Blu spawn positions.
  • Added new small exit from Blu spawn onto route leading to high ground in the spawn yard
  • Raised some doorways to prevent headbumping
  • Widened some doorways to help Blu push
  • Fixed a lot of clipping issues
  • Changed alternate route from B to C lobby to be shorter and easier...

Read the rest of this update entry...

SuperLuxDeluxe

Mar 13, 2021

Fixing up around B

The whole area around B played poorly so I changed it all up.

Changes:
  • Lowered B and A-B and B-C connectors. Red should have much less high-ground advantage now.
  • Reworked B-C connector
  • Reworked A-B connector slightly
  • Removed lazy highground on B for Red. Added high ground that's closer to Blu
  • Gave Red some cover out of their new route. Added some more pickups to B.
  • Changed Blu's forward spawn to better flow to the new B-C connector.
  • Opened up another...

SuperLuxDeluxe

Mar 13, 2021

v2_a3

Changes in this version: (there's a lot but I'll keep it brief)
  • Made routes between points more connected
  • Moved highground for B over to the left side, hopefully Red will escape naturally that way and hold it like intended
  • Completely revamped lobby for C
  • Revamped, shrunk and Rotated C 45 degrees.
  • Probably other stuff but idk
Screenshots of changes:

SuperLuxDeluxe

Mar 13, 2021

v2_a4 - It's been a while!

Changes in this version:
  • A:
    • Added secondary exit for Red. Hopefully it isn't too strong.
    • Added a sign for the Red Brewery building.
  • B:
    • Completely changed up B. Still a train station, but more purposeful.
    • Added height variation and new sentry positions. Should be easier to defend?
    • Changed pickup locations and sized to better suit Red hopefully.
    • Take a look at the screenshots below!
  • C
    • No changes here if I remember...

Lacry

L6: Sharp Member
Feb 25, 2019
Tbh i only had a cutout of a cat that looked like me, but now i updated my pack stuff just to add me there ;)

SuperLuxDeluxe

Mar 13, 2021

v2_a4a

Minor update. I think B might be fine, I just seriously messed up item placements last revision. A full ammo pack for Engineer right next to the best place to set up with a medium health right next to it? What was I thinking? lol. If this still doesn't go well I'll figure out something to make Blu's rotations through their B lobby even easier.

Changes in this version:
  • Added a Gravel Pit style small ammo pickup for Red on A. Should help sustain fights a bit longer.
  • Changed timer...

SuperLuxDeluxe

Mar 13, 2021

v2_a5

Huge thanks to ABP (and also Aulli) for helping me with formulating ideas for changes as well as giving me confidence to continue working on this map!

Changes in this version:
  • A:
    • Players can now get on to the roof above the point! This might go away if it turns out it sucks.
    • Changed Red's forward defense in the building by Blu's spawn and high ground route by raising it up so it's a covered drop-down with a prop jump to get up...

SuperLuxDeluxe

Mar 13, 2021
SuperLuxDeluxe updated Azumith v2 with a new update entry:

a6 - It's been almost a year - sorry!

Full time job plus mapper's block hit hard. Back at it though! This update is a bit meaty.

Problems with last version:
B was too hard to hold generally speaking. Red was mostly dead by the time Blu arrived at the point. Red couldn't recuperate from losses on B. Blu didn't have great rotation through their routes leading to B. Red couldn't forward hold in the routes leading to any point so it felt a bit boring.

Changes in this version:
A:
  • Added a shit shack to the left...

SuperLuxDeluxe

Mar 13, 2021
SuperLuxDeluxe updated Azumith v2 with a new update entry:

v2_a7 - New forward spawn for Blu

Problems with last version:
Due to imbalanced teams in playtests (and certain high skilled players) it was a bit hard to tell, but it seems that Blu had issues getting to B. Red might be able to hold the point too easily for a few reasons - they spawn too quickly, Blu has a long walk time to the point, and some of the pickups favor Red players peeking in to sabotage Blu setting up in the lobby.

Changes in this version:
  • A
    • Blu now gets a forward spawn room 15 seconds...