Australian Based Server

Discussion in 'Site Discussion' started by Uncuepa, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Uncuepa

aa Uncuepa

Positive Ratings:
    A long time ago, for a short while, there was an Australian server but that didn't last. But as of right now we could have enough members being from the Oceanic region to warrant another crack at an Australian based server.

Let's look at some pros and cons.

Pros
    • Better ping for Oceanic members
    • More available testing grounds for Oceanic members
    • Wide audience in a country with a large tf2 presence

Cons
    • Could lack in players
    • Only interests Oceanic members

So if funds are available and the community is willing, I request that another Aussie server be set up. Our community is growing and changing and we should cater to as many members as possible.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  2. Lain

aa Lain Resident wrong opinion holder

Positive Ratings:
    If we're going to do that we might as well just buy our own server.

3. theatreTECHIE

aa theatreTECHIE Yet another Techie for the net...

Positive Ratings:
  4. Vincent

aa Vincent 🔨 Grandmaster Lizard Wizard Jedi 🔨

Positive Ratings:
    I'm in California, I'd probably get better ping in Australia than I would from Europe.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. ibex

aa ibex

Positive Ratings:
    You get worse really, if I remember I got something like 200 when I get around 150 on Europe (I'm in California). You guys should talk to Fanta, he hosted his own server awhile ago for people. I don't remember if he just stopped hosting it or whether it just wasn't useful.

6. Zed

aa Zed Certified Most Crunk™

Positive Ratings:
    I should assume Fanta stopped hosting. It costs money to run a server.

7. Fantasma

aa Fantasma

Positive Ratings:
    I remember him mentioning something along the lines of there really only being a few players that were actually Australian, but he never got around to hosting a proper gameday on it so it could just be his shitty schedules, who knows.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  8. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    I'm all for this, except apparently there's a Canadian server that never seems to be used? Servers cost money and it's a bit of a waste of money for one to sit idle all the time. So it'd be on you guys to make sure it actually got used.

I'd be all for more imps at differing times of day, even if I don't think I'd be able to join for ping concerns, but I've never played on an AU server, so who knows?

Hah I'm imagining anthropomorphic oceans.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Uncuepa

aa Uncuepa

Positive Ratings:
    The tf2m servers rarely pull large crowds outside of events, anyway. Without any incentive to play on the server you can get a better experience playing pub games.

10. Lain

aa Lain Resident wrong opinion holder

Positive Ratings:
    I know a bunch of people who would be open to playing. I could probably buy up a server, it's not a lot for me honestly. If I was to do that though, I would be using it for my own uses also though so it wouldn't be a 24/7 server. (6v6 scrims, MVM maps and maybe Killing Floor 2)

haha you'll finally get to feel the wrath of my soldier, and i'll feel the wrath of the high ping scout

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  11. Uncuepa

aa Uncuepa

Positive Ratings:
    Just play valve servers at 5am. For some reason americans like to play on our servers in weird hours.

12. Geit

aa Geit 💜 I probably broke it 💜

Positive Ratings:

The Canadian server is actually hosted on the same box as the website, the original intention was that it would become the primary NA server, but we've not got around to sorting it out yet.