Atrophy

CTF Atrophy b4

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
Crazy as hell. Would definitely require either a high cap limit or a bunch of engineers, snipers, and heavies. Good for comp, though.

TMP

Ancient Pyro Main
aa
Aug 11, 2008
The guys over at The Lion's Den server (url: lions.dongues.net) love this map. It was fun as hell during the pieces of it during the pug.

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
I love this map, best CTF map ever made, always fun. Suffered a bit in 6v6 (might have been teams).

Flame

aa
Jul 19, 2009
Despite the dm to strategy that was that pug it did play well. My only beef with it is that you dont need to cross the middle of the map to cap.

The intel and the cap zones are essentially on the same side meaning you never have to cross the center of the map to cap the intel.

I found myself chasing everyone to the left side where they had an advantage most of the time since I couldn't cut them off at the middle of the map.

My suggestion to you would to be to put the capture points on the other side or something so this way you need to physically go across the map from left to right in order to cap

Other than that it was probably the most hectic gamemode/map ive ever played. I'll push for this map to get tested more.

Fireman

L4: Comfortable Member
Mar 21, 2008
Just repeating what Flame said. If I found myself on our cap zone's side, I was basically powerless to do anything to stop a flag runner. Would be interesting to see what flipping the capzones would do for the gameplay.

Had a blast playing this tonight, really hoping this one catches on with the larger community

MangyCarface

Mapper
aa
Feb 26, 2008
The flipping of the capture zones is an interesting idea, the problem being that you could grab the flag at the start of the track, cap it in their base, and repeat very quickly; there's also the issue of that capture zone being much easier to guard than your opponent's, which is part of the neat dynamic at the moment...

One idea might be to block the intel from passing through the tunnel in the bottom left of this picture as I do in Aurora
ctf_atrophy_b20001.jpg

I.E. you'd have to drop into the valley much earlier

Open to suggestions to force players to cross the center with the flag.

Tinker

aa
Oct 30, 2008
Blocking intel carriers through passage is a rather brute-force way of doing it, there has to be something more elegant - it works well in Aurora because it's one-way intel and it makes sense not to go back, but if it's a more regular ctf map I can imagine it'd feel forced. One obvious way of doing it is to make the middle by *far* the fastest route to bring it back to your base, like doublecross does really well.

That said, I haven't yet played your map, so it's all speculation :)

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
Here are a few ideas of how you can increase the travel time to the cap zone:
6bca00ctfatrophyb20001.jpg

Make that staircase longer, having it snake around and down, cramping players into the equivalent of a chokepoint.

c93400ctfatrophyb20002.jpg

Continuing off the idea of lengthening the route to the capture zone, turning the end of this path into a snaking ramp would increase travel time and give enemies a moment to catch up.

47ba00ctfatrophyb20003.jpg

This one's a little simple, but adding some debris or a ramp that prevents players from jumping over could push players into the middle as opposed to letting them right back into their cap zone.

Sel

Banned
Feb 18, 2009
Just throwin this out here, dunno if it's possible.

Touch returns on the flag, longer return time?

You know like, ripping off halo entirely :d

SlayerBlitz

L3: Member
Dec 3, 2009
this is one of the best looking maps Ive ever seen. I had a very fun time playing ctf_atrophy but there is one thing I hated. Having to own both flags in order to cap is horrible!!! its really confusing to new players and it hurts gameplay more then it helps. Also having the cart go all the way to the center of the map destroys any chance of the carts team being able to protect it very well. Maybe you could have the cart go in a circle instead of running out there?

Besides those little things, the map seems great and good job!

Vilepickle

Banned
Oct 25, 2007
If you missed my steam message, I gave you some annoying general feedback on running through :p

Bases feel a little cramped as in it feels like you're always running through a corridor to a location. The only somewhat open area is by where the flag starts. I suggest removing a wall or two somewhere in the base to make it a little more roomy but I don't have an idea where right now. Corridors aren't bad but these seem a little longer than average.

Having to hold your own flag to cap is a bit extreme... if there's too much capping going on maybe not make the intel move so far out in center (but still move out some).

Changing CTF mechanics is good, but I think it'd be good to do it with small steps. I know one thing that did NOT work in my maps when I was porting them was a different spot to capture the flag than where the flag was. People just get confused, even if there are some signs. I'd make the capture point where the flag starts out initially.

Overall the cart moving the intel is a good idea but the other CTF changes seem unneeded. The moving intel already creates a moving target for offense and defense which seems like enough to swallow as is.

MangyCarface

Mapper
aa
Feb 26, 2008

Flame

aa
Jul 19, 2009
LOL nerdboy wins.

i guess youd need to make sure nobody is in there as well. Not that I see that happening more than once or twice ever on accident but i can see some griefing possibilities.

ie build a tele exit there, sit near the intel, wait for the tele to be used and grab it quick.

could make for some pretty funny youtube videos though =P

and @vilepickle, putting the cap zone where the flag starts would put it right in the middle of the base and not give defenders much of an option or ability to stop the cap once it got past mid. and the layout of the map makes it so you need to find a way to stop cycle capping as well as be able to even defend the cap as just one person.

imo makes for a new dynamic which could work, could fail, thats what testings for ;)

Last edited:

Mr. P. Kiwi

L5: Dapper Member
Nov 22, 2009
The gameplay and the map layout are great! I liked it very much!
But the quick changes from spytech textures to egypt textures are not in place they need to be moved or make them look better...

Okrag

Wall Staples
aa
Jun 10, 2009
Big exploit time revelation time. Not only can you get trapped in the capture zone but if the flag is dropped right next to the door anyone inside can pick it up and cap.

Last edited: