Art pass extension

Mr. Happy

L6: Sharp Member
Jul 16, 2008
i wouldn't mind extra time for modeling random props to be lying around but I don't deserve it seeing as there were three weeks I spent watching Star Trek and not working on this.

Retroid

L5: Dapper Member
Aug 25, 2009
You wouldn't believe how unbelievably annoying it was to finish Vector on time only to see another month's extension in the weeks before the deadline.

An extra month to polish up your map... I bet you still worked on it and polished it up during that month? I'd have loved it - I mean if you'd finished then that's a month better your map is going to be then the others who haven't

MangyCarface

Mapper
aa
Feb 26, 2008
Oh dear not this again.

Deadlines are deadlines. You can't just ask for an extension for every contest.

If anything, the 2+ months everyone got was a bit overboard.

I understand how you must feel but you are the one who decided to enter this contest knowing full well you wouldn't have as much time as everyone else. It might have been different if you tried negotiating an extension at a much earlier date, but this is just far too close to the end.

None of the entrants who worked hard to be ready for the deadline should have to wait for those who can't observe deadlines.

You wouldn't believe how unbelievably annoying it was to finish Vector on time only to see another month's extension in the weeks before the deadline.

If everyone had just been polishing up for a week I might understand. but the truth of the situation is the majority of people who are still planning on finishing are cramming as much as I am...

Jun 19, 2009
If everyone had just been polishing up for a week I might understand. but the truth of the situation is the majority of people who are still planning on finishing are cramming as much as I am...

We can't be certain of that... there are still hundreds of entries. If like only 20 get submitted on time, THEN we might have a problem.

Mr. Happy

L6: Sharp Member
Jul 16, 2008
No, if only 20 get submitted you have a 5% chance of winning right off the bat. I wouldn't call that a problem :D

Retroid

Aug 25, 2009
Knowing full well that I'm no major part of this community (lurker if you will), I say this with baited breath: this isn't a job! It's a fun competition and it's a damned shame to see people's hard efforts going to waste if their maps aren't even going to be submitted in a complete state, even if they don't win at least they won't have any regrets.

What I'm saying is have a small extension, a two week extension, anybody who isn't anywhere near to finishing; still isn't going to finish and people near completion if they work their buts off will be able to hand something in. People who've finished by the original deadline can spit polish their work to perfection.

When the prize/reason for most people will be just the knowlege that Valve has looked at their piece of art - then let them submit it at it's best.

Also Valve Time... It's freaking traditional!

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
The competition isn't just "Detail this map." It's "Detail this map before the contest ends."

Retroid

Aug 25, 2009
The competition isn't just "Detail this map." It's "Detail this map before the contest ends."

Indeed it is, but with no real re-usability within the entries I think it's more important to satisfy the masses that entered knowing that they gave it their all despite random unforeseen circumstances/problems which ate their free time.

If you'd ever worked on a big project for someone then you'd know that you always put aside two weeks at the end in-case something screws with your schedule. You could say it's down to the people who've entered to set that within the time limit of the competition but this comp really needed those three months and I'd argue that the time limit doesn't allow for any grace period within it.

So just give a small grace period.

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
There was plenty of time. Look what some entrants have accomplished, and consider they didn't spend every waking hour working on their entries.

Jun 19, 2009

There really isn't a counter argument to this :/
If you didn't finish on time, tough.

I planned ahead because of this. I knew starting August 23rd I would be unable to work significantly on the map; therefore, I finished BEFORE that date in order to present a finished map.

I now have no time to work on my map (nor do I even have my desktop). If you gave everyone a 2 week extension, that really doesn't help me "polish" my map, since first of all I already declared I was done with it, and secondly I couldn't even if I wanted to.

Khuntza

L4: Comfortable Member
Dec 29, 2009
Two weeks ago I would have been on board the extension train..

Not now though.. Ive finished my map and am really happy with the result. When the contest was announced I knew exactly how long I had and made the commitment to devote every spare hour I had to it..

I get that some of you were OS or have school or uni or whatever, I myself work full time and have two kids.. I still managed 110hrs in the SDK over the last two weeks.. Mind you Ive only played about 5 rounds of TF2 over the last two months though..

If any extra time was given then I, and many others, would feel cheated.. it really is a case of too bad so sad..