dabmasterars

L3: Member
Mar 20, 2023
Areaportal do not occlude anything even when the doors are closed. It may be because I placed them next to each other, but the Valve Developer Wiki says nothing about it.

Areaportals in Hammer
area1.jpg
Areaportals in game
area2.jpg
Areaportal configuration
area3.png

Solution
It's a misconception that a closed areaportal doesn't render what you're supposed to see. In fact, the areaportal doesn't render the 'rooms' that the areaportal seal off (when I say room, I mean any space separated by a door or hallway, including the outdoor). If the room has other door somewhere else, you need to close as well.

h5TapfR.png

Not sure if this is your setup, but it's a example:

GMxFZrB.png
uQnZMb5.png

I'm not sure if this is the best solution for this case, but if you understand how it works, you can seal areas so they start to not render the way you want

Midlou

L5: Dapper Member
Jan 12, 2016
It's a misconception that a closed areaportal doesn't render what you're supposed to see. In fact, the areaportal doesn't render the 'rooms' that the areaportal seal off (when I say room, I mean any space separated by a door or hallway, including the outdoor). If the room has other door somewhere else, you need to close as well.

h5TapfR.png

Not sure if this is your setup, but it's a example:

GMxFZrB.png
uQnZMb5.png

I'm not sure if this is the best solution for this case, but if you understand how it works, you can seal areas so they start to not render the way you want

Solution