Aquifer

KotH Aquifer 2015-09-08

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
Updated to B2. Did some drastic things. Screenshots updated in OP.

Beta 2 Release:
This is the height variation update.
Drastically overhauled the center area. Former "basement" now repurposed and incorporated into top level. Former stairs and drop down re-used. A ton of huge changes to the center.
Changed the buildings next to the center again. Should be more fun/ dynamic to play around now.
Changed medium healthpacks back to small in the side buildings and adjusted location slightly.
Widened platforms above CP.
Increased the texture scale on water.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
Here is your demo from today (beginning is probably dead air for maybe ~30 minutes?)

We had some randoms that called it too large (not true in my opinion). They also said it had too many flanks (probably does). As a Heavy I was getting pretty far behind enemy lines, and that little speed bump I told you I hate didn't really stop me. Later today in the impromptu I was doing the same thing as Engineer. I still think you'd benefit from rotating the drop downs and stairs 90 degrees, because then players would be directed toward combat areas rather than staging areas. Another problem with your map, I feel, is how cluttered the area immediately around the point is. You've got the pillars above and below, the shipping containers, little waist high fences on the high ground spots (which are largely useless as high ground goes) and they all get in the way or feel semi-random. I was really hoping for a better redesign after the contest ended, and this comes close but it still has all the same basic issues the last one did.

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
Updated to B3. Screenshots in OP updated. This should be the final layout, just polish work from here on out.

Beta 3 Release:
Changed under the center point, got rid of pipes going straight down and changed to a large central structure
Changed stairs going down below from team-side buildings into drop downs.
Changed drop downs going down below from side-buildings into staircases. These last two changes should fix a lot of issues.
Adjusted "box stairs" to make it easier to climb
Further brush optimization/ Model fades
Evened the sides out a bit more for consistency
Adjusted health/ ammo placement slightly, mostly to accomodate new geometry.
Detailed a ton.

Known bugs as of release:
A few premature prop fades
A couple large props/ brushes popping in and out in the distance
The Water's reflection is cut up weird
Missing light models to match lighting

Bonus screenshots:
1410EB073CED2A1A13DCC988429867F8E7F94E23

3D5628DEBE5E08F3A003C3A3B3E4CF7123B5132F

6AA6A265D1E8E3D81D2590DA3A6EBF5613A0A011

9FEB063F4F562ABE8698E5B3A092D98BD0C14FDD

D7183A1FB93F3F064CC0AA1D10E0C82B904E3372

8BF0492D88EFEF6132D8D2592D116BFE95482403

AF89DDD36C21BD7DF1DA004C88628B8E98E7F4AB

D1CB9CC1B479A23CBA217C254EDA38504B6AC93F

E783A285DBF247DD91C166E7CDCD43ADAB8F9BD7

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
Updated to B5. All new screen's in OP.

Beta 4 Release:
Error caused me to make this an internal version.

Beta 5 Release:
Massive clipping pass. Found a bunch of exploits and high ledges.
Added a new platform above the shipping container going through the building.
Added a medium ammo on new platform.
Changed buildings to the side of capture point again. Simplified.
Added ramps to the shipping containers along the walls, on one side.
Added a railing in the center area.
Fixed a lot of early model fades and pop outs. Should all be good now?
Expanded detailing a ton. Added some height to a few buildings, lots of trim, new detail areas, touched a bit of everything.
Optimized further. Very few props are fadeless at this point.
Cleaned up lighting, brightened most interiors.

JeanPaul

L6: Sharp Member
Aug 5, 2010
I love your concept for the point having a watertower over it and incorporating its shape into the layout. But, I feel you can do a lot better with the way it looks. Try using some interesting references

Hell, you could use the torus tool to recreate that third image in my link exactly. Also, disable shadows on the pipes seen on the water tower supports so the brushwork's face doesnt turn black below the pipes.

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
After the contest is over, I will probably be getting a custom model created for the center. I've already been approached by someone who was interested in doing it, and we discussed a few ideas. Good references though, I'll definitely use them.

As for the pipes, I compiled with using staticproppolys so they shouldn't be pitch black. It's probably more from the lack of lighting directly on it. I was thinking the point could have used some spotlights directly on it to make it pop out more, that might have helped.

Then again, it might look better with them off all together. Something to experiment with.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
As for the pipes, I compiled with using staticproppolys so they shouldn't be pitch black. It's probably more from the lack of lighting directly on it. I was thinking the point could have used some spotlights directly on it to make it pop out more, that might have helped.

The problem is, the pipe models have phong shading, and the Source engine can't render vertex lighting and phong shading on the same prop so it disables the former. It's unfortunate, because pipes are one of the most common props to have shadows conspicuously overlapping. I'm not seeing the issue JeanPaul is reporting in any of the screenshots, but you might be able to fix it by tossing in an info_lighting and tying the offending pipes to it.

Zaenoch

L1: Registered
Jan 7, 2016
Wow this map is impresive as it is, cant wait to see final version after contest

Zed

Certified Most Crunk™
aa
Aug 7, 2014
Yeah, if you did that you might actually find "the one" instead of being unhappy all the time.