Animus

Animus a8

lerlerson

L2: Junior Member
Nov 27, 2007
The way I see it, as of now, Animus is too much of a boring deathmatch, as others have stated.

So why not have souls work as fuel for the cart? As in, actual fuel, rather than what pushes the cart. Each soul provides a certain amount of time you can push the cart for before it will stop, say, 1 second, for example.

santoriin

L1: Registered
Jun 11, 2008
or maybe the soul part could only be a part of the track (like the ramps on pipeline for example) So its normal cart race till you get to the "soul machine parts" (you would need good props for this i guess and to get it past the machine or up the hill you need kills. and then cart again or something.

frankly i like the setting and feeling for the map, and even think a asymmetrical map might work, im just not sure it all works together. I would sooner see you convert this to a normal plr with cool setting and asymmetrical tracks than see the gametype not work and not be popular.

Last edited:

PMAvers

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 29, 2008
Random thought, but anyone else remember Headhunter?

I think that's what the game mode is called. Remember it from one of the UT games.

But, when someone dies, they drop a skull. Anyone can grab them. You have to carry them and drop them off in a goal somewhere to get points. The more skulls you're carrying when you drop it off, the points it's worth ramps up (by a multiplier). But, if you're killed while carrying skulls, they all scatter across the ground, and it's a free-for-all. You've gotta decide between getting tons of skulls and going for the big points (but risk getting killed and your enemy taking them all for themselves), or getting a couple kills and running them to the goal for "safe" points.

I'm guessing such a thing in TF2 would require a mod, though. But, the carts could be the "goals", and the more skulls you have, the more push-time you get.

Fearlezz

L10: Glamorous Member
May 4, 2008
plr_animus_a3 is out.

Changelog:
- Reverted to default PLR
- Fixed visible nodraw surfaces
- Fixed the souls flying to the wrong cart
- Fixed Reds spawn door having no working filter
- Fixed different brush and displacement problems
- Fixed other misc problems/errors
- Removed the placeholder eagle
- Added static light instead of the flicking light in Reds spawn.
- Added real support for particles

img6.jpg

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
It's default PLR but you still have souls. So does killing people allow the cart to move faster or...?

Trotim

aa
Jul 14, 2009
The lighting was good, dark enough to convey the atmosphere, bright enough to allow for normal gameplay.
It's normal PLR now, okay. Nobody knows what the souls do now though, are they just eyecandy?

It seemed to be a real stalemate near the end though. In my opinion there were enough entrances/exits, but no cover otherwise. Snipers seemed to dominate that chokepoint aswell because of that. (Sorry, no screenshot)

There was some graphical glitch, I'm not sure others experienced it:
plranimusa30008.jpg

The_Ulf

L6: Sharp Member
May 26, 2009
Laying down the tracks per kill makes a lot more sense than the fuel, as it has a direct visual indication.

That idea makes entirely better sense...

I agree, that sounds awesome and fittingly eerie - the track slowly appearing out in front of the carts would feel good and haunted.

taraph75

L1: Registered
Apr 23, 2009
Hi Fearlezz, We playtested your map on the tf2newbs.com payload server (24 person). YOu map had probably the most comments for it, possibly because it was one of the first. I've compiled them into a list.

-need more metal/health
-rains inside
-easy to spawn camp
-possibly have some cap points for forward spawns
-long stage
-good setup times for engy since it's so long and you're not on top of each other's spawn at the beginning
-too many hallways that don't take you anywhere useful
-no time limit allows stalemates (I believe pipeline has a time limit?)
-something about partially open windows, or windows that look like you can get out, but you can't
-this seemed like a good level for a traditional payload. I think there's a reason why all the other plrs (that I've seen) are mirror images - to make it balanced to win. I'm wondering if there's any way to split it into stages (most plrs are shorter than this), and then somehow mirror each stage for the other side so it's not so much attack/defend as it is payload race.

Fearlezz

L10: Glamorous Member
May 4, 2008
Alpha 4 Released
- Improved Optimazation
- Improved several Particle effects
- Added new particle effects
- Added a new route in the middle of the map
- Lit up the map a little
- Hidden the CP models

Small stuff. Updated the OP.

And thanks to Angry and taraph for the useful posts

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
Just chiming in that when I saw the screenshots thumbnails, I thought: "That looks like some sort of sunset thunderstorm, there should be thunder..." and then I read the description and zoomed in on them.

So yeah, the sky and colors in the screenshots really evokes the weather effects well, because it worked even when sort of greeked via thumbnail. :thumbup1:

Last edited:

littleedge

L1111: Clipping Guru
aa
Mar 2, 2009
I find it okay. I've got some problems with it, though.

I find that since the map is so large, the carts start far away, so the first half of the path is done in less than a minute. You don't encounter the enemy until the crossover, since both teams are just pushing the cart the whole time. Then it's just a stalemate, with both teams having to walk a very long distance to get to their cart, and then die after killing maybe one or two people. Then you get to walk that long distance againa fter waiting a couple seconds to respawn. Yay.

http://files.getdropbox.com/u/1490725/plr_animus_a4a0008.jpg
All those lanterns are not solid. I can understand many of them not being solid, but some of them I expect to be solid, so I dodge them, later to find out they aren't.

http://files.getdropbox.com/u/1490725/plr_animus_a4a0005.jpg
The track isn't positioned correctly.

http://files.getdropbox.com/u/1490725/plr_animus_a4a0006.jpg
Displacement needs sewing.

http://files.getdropbox.com/u/1490725/plr_animus_a4a0007.jpg
Should the top of the rock be sticking up into the ground?