Am I the only one who thinks...

Prop

L3: Member
Jun 17, 2010
Sorry. My grammar senses are tingling. The title should read "Am I the only one who thinks..." That refers to inanimate objects.

As for the actual topic, I think it's still going strong. I haven't actually been playing the game in the super serious moods that I normally partake in other games. TF2 has come to be my relaxing game, and I find that perfectly OK.

It is OK but its getting out of hand. I made this topic, and a few hours later, a new update with laser guns... it looks like star wars now!

But Tf2's stars are still shinning, and thats the point. But I am scared that the it wont shine anymore :blush:

PS Sorry for the title.

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
It is OK but its getting out of hand. I made this topic, and a few hours later, a new update with laser guns... it looks like star wars now!

But Tf2's stars are still shinning, and thats the point. But I am scared that the it wont shine anymore :blush:

PS Sorry for the title.

The game won't lose popularity imo. So I wouldn't worry about that.

ALSO: Grammar changed in title to prevent a grammar flame fest.

Mar 23, 2010
i played on a now-dead vanilla server once and it was glorious. it's kind of sad really that valve's lack of thought (or maybe they are just stupid) into a lot of unlocks has drove off a lot of people. a lot of them are good but too many of them are just clutter, are generally unfun, or just don't belong/are bad.

hell, valve admitted they made a mistake with the super-rushed scout update's sandman and the natascha. they said that taking a players control was a mistake. why can't they be removed?

Last edited:

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
I do miss the days when weapons were clearly designed with a function and a special place in the game in mind, when they would try to add weapons that mixed up characters' playstyles in small, appropriate ways. It has indeed gotten way out of hand, but that was long ago.

English Mobster

L6: Sharp Member
Jul 10, 2011
I had stopped playing TF2 from the Polycount update all the way until just past the Replay update. Needless to say, I had to relearn a whole lot of things.
I'm still mystified as to why Valve chooses the weapons and maps they do. Some are of (no offense to the contributors) poor quality, model wise, such as the Black Box (it's a square, uninteresting, black... box), and the Liberty Launcher (what is that thing on the side? Is it a vent? A scope?).
While they do a generally good job on the map front, there have been a couple times I've been ignited by a Pyro at the door before the round started (my fault, of course, but still...) or that I've hit a displacement that was a little above the map. I've noticed I get lost on a lot of the community maps, too, when every corridor looks the same, or if I'm on a map where everything's a neutral color and I have no idea if I'm in friendly or enemy territory.

Prop

L3: Member
Jun 17, 2010
I had stopped playing TF2 from the Polycount update all the way until just past the Replay update. Needless to say, I had to relearn a whole lot of things.
I'm still mystified as to why Valve chooses the weapons and maps they do. Some are of (no offense to the contributors) poor quality, model wise, such as the Black Box (it's a square, uninteresting, black... box), and the Liberty Launcher (what is that thing on the side? Is it a vent? A scope?).
While they do a generally good job on the map front, there have been a couple times I've been ignited by a Pyro at the door before the round started (my fault, of course, but still...) or that I've hit a displacement that was a little above the map. I've noticed I get lost on a lot of the community maps, too, when every corridor looks the same, or if I'm on a map where everything's a neutral color and I have no idea if I'm in friendly or enemy territory.

Who cares about the models, as long as they work right!

T-LOID

L1: Registered
Jul 22, 2011
I think the game could use a break off of all the updates. No more new weapons and hats for some time, give everyone the time to catch up, and perhaps work on improving the game on a deeper level. Re-optimizing the system, reworking the balance of the weapons and classes, dealing with glitches and bugs that arose from the new content, changing the particle effects from the Dr. grordobrotfrortogrortlort set, or however it's spelled, to run better on lower-end systems, and who knows, altering weapons and hats to make the art style consistent again.

HAHAHA.

hah... dammit...

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
I think the game could use a break off of all the updates. No more new weapons and hats for some time, give everyone the time to catch up, and perhaps work on improving the game on a deeper level. Re-optimizing the system, reworking the balance of the weapons and classes, dealing with glitches and bugs that arose from the new content, changing the particle effects from the Dr. grordobrotfrortogrortlort set, or however it's spelled, to run better on lower-end systems, and who knows, altering weapons and hats to make the art style consistent again.

HAHAHA.

hah... dammit...

But that sounds like work and un-fun-ness.

Micronauts

May 2, 2011
When we're talking about unnecessary items, are we talking about "Nessie's Nine Iron"? I don't mind all the weapon additions partly because you play the game for two weeks, then are treated to some new particle effect or model you'll be killed by (probably before you get your hands on it, sadly). It just adds something new to see, since it doesn't dramatically effect gameplay half the time.

With the Cockswain update, I do agree, the LASER ROCKET is a bit out of there, but then I don't believe you go around coating your enemies in piss in any logical war themed story or setting. I got used to the effect though and just chalked it up to making the user's projectiles just easier to spot and dodge.

I think I saw the effect a year or two ago used by premium accounts on some TFC server, they'd donate to the server and get the option to shoot bright colored laser blasts out of their rockets. That may be why I'm not bothered by this update. This Cockswain update is practically the same story, pay money to get a pack of laser weapons for the soldier to help support Valve's paycheck to the TF2 staff. Thankfully, there is the option to just craft all these weapons, to prevent any permanent imbalance (for the players who wouldn't buy from the Mannco. store).

Since TF2 has gone free to play, there most likely won't be any slowdown in item updates, because that is now the ONLY way ( that I can think of) Valve can profit from TF2, unless they would want to include ads in load screens and maps...now wouldn't that break the feel of TF2. Not having that profit option would probably decrease the probability of some of the real updates (Replays and The Medic Update), because I doubt even Valve would want to keep pumping a franchise with stuff if it's getting nothing in return (moneywise, they could keep my approval if they were that ballsy).

Of course, I'm going to go out there and say it, I've only played TF2 PC since December 2010, so I can't share your feelings about how awesome and righteous TF2 was when it first came out. I have played the Tofu version of TF2 (I'd call it more extreme then Vanilla) on the 360 for about 8 months back in 2009 or 2008 (I eventually bought the Orange Box on Steam after hearing about how the 360 got left out of the updates thanks to Microsoft on April, 24th, 2009. Though never got to play it till recently, due to always having an Intel FAMILY graphics card or a way outdated Savage S3.)

Last edited:

Micronauts

May 2, 2011
But It's oh so fun to debate something that isn't going to change. ^.^. Well, in attempt to make Prop happy, NoHeroes has some Vanilla servers (never checked them out though) and since their servers seem pretty good from my experience with them, I guess you could give them a shot if you are looking for one.

Trotim

aa
Jul 14, 2009
problem with 99% of "vanilla" servers people recommend without checking them out: they ARE vanilla i.e. have no server mods i.e. have all items and all hats

Jeremy

L11: Posh Member
Oct 24, 2010
Valve should spend less time adding things and more time changing or even removing things. Really, it would be better for everyone.

Trotim

aa
Jul 14, 2009
Valve should spend less time adding things and more time changing or even removing things. Really, it would be better for everyone.

I remember me saying this a year ago and I got like a page of flames in response

because I hate fun and just can't adapt and am just jealous and the game would be dead if they didn't keep adding items etc

I don't care anymore and see it for what it is: fixing and tweaking doesn't get valve money so it doesn't have priority