Advertisements?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Snipergen, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Snipergen

Snipergen L13: Stunning Member

Positive Ratings:
    I get ads, if I click remove advertisements, i get a page where it says my account already exists. I think you want users to register to remove the ads but Im already registered :huh:

2. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    For all the complaining I've done about stuff on the site (sorry pepper <_<), I actually don't mind these fake-post ads. In one's journey across the internet you always run into posts you don't care about and ignore, so my mind has been treating them just the same as those :p

3. DJive

aa DJive Cake or Death?

Positive Ratings:
    ^^ I don't mind them as well, but i think what he is wondering is why before we registered there was ads. After we registered they disapeared *like its setup to*. Now for some reason they are back and with a link that says "register to remove the ad" when we are already registered and Logged in.

4. Snipergen

Snipergen L13: Stunning Member

Positive Ratings:
    It bothers me to be honest :/

5. Narkissus

Narkissus L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    Maybe because im running Adblock or something but im not seeing any ads.

If thats true, then hooray for adblock.

6. drp

aa drp

Positive Ratings:
    its a bug in the software.

7. Scotland Tom

Scotland Tom L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah, I'm getting the same issue. I see the ad posts even though I'm already registered. Fortunately I too have the Adblock Plus extension for Firefox, so I don't see the actual ads, just an empty post.

8. ryodoan

ryodoan Resident Bum

Positive Ratings:
    I have ad-block turned off on this website, but even then, when I am logged in its just an empty post with no ads in it.

I agree with Boojum, I am so used to just skipping over empty / useless posts that I don't even notice them.

9. Rock

Rock L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    I run the boards for my clan, and we had to pay a yearly fee to have the ads removed from the board. That's the only way the "free" boards stay in business - either revenue from ads or revenue from those who pay to have the ads removed.

[​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2008
  10. drp

aa drp

Positive Ratings:
    the ads are there so i can try and recoup atleast a portion of the money i have spent keeping the site running, domain cost, vbulletin license, and just now, the game server. :D

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. ryodoan

ryodoan Resident Bum

Positive Ratings:
    I was just going to hop back in here and say pretty much the same thing as Rock and drpepper.

Running this website and all the other things has got to be costing drpepper an arm and a leg. If we want these boards to continue to exist, and if we want the server to continue to be there we need to make sure we offer drpepper our support.

To put some stuff in perspective:
    Domain: ~$9 / year
    Hosting: at the bare minimum ~$90 / year
    VBulletin: $160 for a license
    24 player TF2 server: ~$36 / month

So, drpepper is currently out a minimum of: $691 a year

I dont play WoW because I dont want to pay a monthly fee. I feel that many monthly fee games overcharge you every month. However, if I can see clear evidence that time / money I spend is going to a good cause and actually supporting my gaming addiction not just lining some millionaire corporations pockets, I dont have any problems donating a bit of money to keep stuff running.

I really like this community and I want it to stay around so even if drpepper woulnt say it, I urge you to use the handy "Donate" button near the top of the page if you have not already. And if you do not have a paypal account, turn off the ad-block for this site (I use it too, and turn it off on sites I want to support that don't use annoying ads).

12. drp

aa drp

Positive Ratings:
    thanks ryodoan

yes, running a community can get a little expensive, but i think its worth it. with the amount of quality members we have on here its way more than worth it.

oh and thanks for plugging the paypal button :p
    full disclosure on site/server expenses is given to those who donate on request!

13. Armadillo of Doom

aa Armadillo of Doom Group Founder, Lover of Pie

Positive Ratings:
    Dam. I knew it was pricey, but dam. I didn't even realize you were the one who put up for our new server. We need a game-day stat, to actually justify having this thing. And ftp so you're not the only one who needs to take responsibility for map rotation and such. Drpepper, <3

14. drp

aa drp

Positive Ratings:
    ill go ahead and pm you ftp details in a sec :thumbup1: