About last night...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
The drama.

I'd like to believe we are a mature community that has better things to do than constantly get our panties in a knot over flame's personality. This isn't 2nd grade. I'd like to go one day without people running to an admin whining about how his opinions are different or how he hurt their feelings and should be banned.

Get over it and work out your own problems. Flame is a great resource on the competitive community and gives helpful feedback. Your loss if you'd rather cry about how you don't like his attitude rather than get over yourself and take advantage of what he offers to our community.

Seriously guys, the whining is just annoying at this point.

How has the cliché "2nd grade" argument ever been a valid point? I see it in every god damn thread like this but it has never made sense.

EDIT: And to make it clear, I've never said I want him banned, nor have I seen anyone else say that. Are you making up stuff?

Last time I checked you're very well entitled to discuss fellowship issues as adults. Saying that arguing about his attitude is childish is the worst, most pathetic way to defend anyone.

I'm not even sure how the argument about how he's a good resource has lasted this long. It's completely unrelated to the current issue.

You know, speaking of talking about this all the time - I know. I wish it would be brought up less often, but honestly, when I can express a strong opinion on a matter I care about, why would I not? You'd better ask the source of the problem about why it's brought up so often.

Last edited:

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
It's the "flame did something I don't like I'm going to go run to the teacher and tell them about it" attitude everyone has. That's the 2nd grade argument. People's personal problems with flame is not my problem. Flame causing visible problems for the site would be my problem.

You refusing to recognize his ability to act as a resource only confirms my view about it. He's a line in to the competitive community, helped Shmitz and Icarus get their maps played in leagues, gives detailed feedback on map layouts during playtests, offers plenty of opportunities to mappers. But no one seems to care, because they'd rather plug their ears with their fingers, close their eyes, and whine to admins about how terrible of a person he is because they personally don't like him.

I'm not defending flame, I'm stating that I'm am really tired of these threads, complaints in chat, and otherwise about his behaviour when most of the time no problem exists beyond someone's personal opinion or perspective on the circumstances.

I'm saying, stop complaining to us about him, if he does something, we'll take care of it. Drp just did, whether or not he was correct in this action is apparently up for debate, but it's not an issue anyone but drp and flame are involved in. There's no reason for this thread to exist.

I just want the debate over flame to end. It's pointless and never gets anywhere, and there's no logic or reasoning to most of the arguments here beyond "I personally dislike his attitude/character/personality/behaviour" which has zero relevance to what position he is in at the discretion of the site staff.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Yes, I absolutely want this discussion to stop appearing everywhere too. A good start would be to avoid making threads out of the blue about it... If we've covered it in the chat already, that is especially a good reason not to continue it here. However,

It's the "flame did something I don't like I'm going to go run to the teacher and tell them about it" attitude everyone has. That's the 2nd grade argument. People's personal problems with flame is not my problem. Flame causing visible problems for the site would be my problem.
Again, why is it looked down upon to report acts of disrespectful behavior? I don't get the mentality behind this, because it's certainly not a childish issue.

You refusing to recognize his ability to act as a resource only confirms my view about it. He's a line in to the competitive community, helped Shmitz and Icarus get their maps played in leagues, gives detailed feedback on map layouts during playtests, offers plenty of opportunities to mappers. But no one seems to care, because they'd rather plug their ears with their fingers, close their eyes, and whine to admins about how terrible of a person he is because they personally don't like him.
I never refused to recognize his ability to act as a resource. As a matter of fact I think I typed that out pretty clearly. Your skills and utilities are completely unrelated to your ability to act socially acceptable, that was my point.

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
It's like the story of the boy who cried wolf, except here the entire village is crying wolf. Constantly. I'm not looking down on people reporting poor behavior, but rather, crying out all the time for reasons that are mundane and not noteworthy and especially reasons that do not call for administrative action.

People are looking for things to point out about flame and most hold no actual ground for the accompanying argument. Abusing the 911 line. It needs to stop. There is no reason any controversy needs to exist. People are creating it. Not flame. If people could just get over it, there would be none.

And sorry about that, your wording suggested flame is not a resource.

Jimmy

L420: High Member
Jul 6, 2009
Wait. Im away for ONE day and this happens. I can't leave you people alone can I?

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
tl;dr flame gets to act socially inappropriate because nine is sick of people complaining about him.

gee maybe instead of telling us all to shut up you should address the problem.

why bail out the water when you can just patch the hole?

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
Because most of the time there is no problem, just people who are being overly sensitive. And when there is a problem, it is taken care of. That's why this thread exists.

Most of the time the problem is not flame doing anything, but people having a problem with flame. And their grounds against him are usually shaky when it comes to requesting administrative action.

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
Most of the time the problem is not flame doing anything, but people having a problem with flame. And their grounds against him are usually shaky when it comes to requesting administrative action.

How about next time a flame war erupts over this argument, the thread gets locked?

Lord Ned

Feb 11, 2008
Because most of the time there is no problem, just people who are being overly sensitive. And when there is a problem, it is taken care of. That's why this thread exists.

Here's a bit of simple math. Who's the common denominator in these conflicts?

I could see it being childish if I went running to you every time say Snacks said my map sucked, or because Jimmy told me to fuck off or something (Neither of which have done so, just examples), but don't you think there's a problem when every time a problem happens at this site, one of the parties involved is the same?

Every time a thread pops up, every time someone goes running to a moderator/admin, why is one party always the same. Do you really think that out of every one of these conflicts the other party is at fault, and flame (The common denominator between these conflicts) is innocent every time?

Should one users input be able to be presented in a manner that goes against what the community as a whole stands for? (In terms of presentation, conversational mannerisms, etc.)

He may be a valuable resource, but at what cost? Does the 'good' get outweighed by the 'bad'?

Last edited:

owly-oop

im birb
aa
Apr 14, 2009
A dangerous lesson to teach is "Never be offended", which right here is sunken into your heads. A lesson in which authority involvement becomes the main course of action only causes conflicting sides, with hatred being the common thought for both sides. Continuously involving authority over this lesson slowly, but surely, causes a wider gap.

This dangerous lesson needs to removed. It can be solved without authority involvement with asking for an apology. If flame refused, his "social acceptance" would gradually get lower until it gets into the point where he leaves, resulting in the community as a whole having a common opinion without the need of authority or conflicting sides

The idea of intolerance with the mindset of wanting it to go away is counter-productive as growing a tolerance will make the offense go away

Last edited:

Cerious

Aug 10, 2008
Sounds like Flame was being an abrasive asshole as usual, and used his powers for personal reasons (which one should never do, it's beyond stupid), and as a result he got demoted. Doesn't sound like anything is wrong to me.

I would personally be fine with giving him a second chance if he wouldn't be so abrasive and argumentative at all times, but seeing as how it's Flame...

Yeah, just keep him demoted, IMO.

TMP

Ancient Pyro Main
aa
Aug 11, 2008
I wasn't a part of any scrap or fight or whatever that caused this, but I do have opinions based on it.

The problem can't be fixed on a single front. Any problem based on trolling isn't justified simply by demoting Flame (although I feel this action was justified). Nor can the problem be fixed by simply manning up and accepting this. Success in this would require reprimands for the primary party as well as tolerance and acceptance of the person by the mass.

Supertoaster's idea wouldn't work due to the position Flame is in. Flame, dare I say it, is similar to a prophet. Its in his nature. He's a very dominant person, and attracts people to follow his advice. There will be people who will not. This has happened. This causes a sect amongst members of TF2maps.net. Its why the Rexy incident happened, in a boiled down scheme of things. The thing is, if what Super said happened, and flame was asked by staff to apologize, a rift just like this would happen, where half of us would say he had to and the other half would say he shouldn't have to. He'd only become less popular amongst the people who didn't like him, and the outcome would pretty much have no effect.

I don't have specifics on what to do to fix anything, I don't. I'm not in the position to judge. But the problem doesn't fix itself. I feel like the action taken is probably the best of the simplistic actions to take.

Intelligent Rant over, Pure rant below, highly opinionated. Don't try to argue against it because its pure opinion.

Flame is... for lack of a better word a dick. I'm tired of him acting entirely elitist amongst a community of mappers with no mapping experience. I don't care that he's given feedback on maps that have gone official. Feedback and shit like that is not time consuming nor skillworthy as the act of mapping. Hell, I suck at layouts. I'm going to admit that. But I know when there is something wrong with the gameplay and how to give feedback. Sure, I don't always do it. I'm not a guy who posts much feedback, especially now that I don't play much. Hell, I wouldn't mind that Flame only did that. But he acts like an elitist because of that. He gives good feedback, I know that. But most of the feedback he gives as a mapper I can see in the map. I can see when something is going to play like shit. I can see how flow is affected in areas. I can see and feel if a map is boring to play on. Anyways, I don't care that he can see that. Anyone who's ever played on maps for a while can pretty much see that. I guess I sound like a broken record, but that doesn't give you the right to act like you are better than me. I can understand that Flame is proud of what he has helped. But seriously, he's been such a prick on the way up to it. He pretty much bogarts higher ups, practically sucking their dicks it feels, in an effort to secure that he's better than me. And then he has the right, after being elitist, to shove his opinions in my face, treating them like its fact and the fucking word of god, and I get shunned for not agreeing? I guess I'm overreacting over everything, but in the words of what I have always wanted to say, Fuck you, Flame. Quit being such a fucking Guido Prick, and learn to respect us all.

Now Please give me an infraction for that. That's months of anger brewing, trying to prevent myself from posting in these threads, but I really wanted to get that out of my system. I'm sorry that I didn't get that out directly to your face or in a PM, Flame, but the impact would have been different and not nearly the same. I try to stay civil in PMs.

Everyone, go ahead and flame the shit out of me.

Konata

L2: Junior Member
Jul 23, 2010
Sounds like Flame was being an abrasive asshole as usual, and used his powers for personal reasons (which one should never do, it's beyond stupid), and as a result he got demoted. Doesn't sound like anything is wrong to me.

I would personally be fine with giving him a second chance if he wouldn't be so abrasive and argumentative at all times, but seeing as how it's Flame...

Yeah, just keep him demoted, IMO.

This. I'm honestly sad to see people in this thread saying "Oh you should learn to not be offended" or whatever I'm intended to interpret from their comments. The point is, the way he abused his powers.

Mar 23, 2010
lol okrag.

flame's kicks were unneeded. it was a discussion about the contest. people said they didn't like the contest. KICK.

too "solve" flamehate while keeping flame admin

I mean, did you see the movie? Starsky really warmed up at the end. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.