AARGH *pulls out hair*

Oct 6, 2008
Ok I tried this out on my map last night and most of my map is under the 30-60 (1/2 & 1/2) fps line and occansionally 1 sike over the 20 is I did something drastic in movements.

Is this good? In my other post re vis times someone mentioned load point file but there isn't one since I have no leaks - I see it mentioned her to load portal file - should I load this instead?

Sgt Frag

L14: Epic Member
May 20, 2008
Well, it would probably help to get screenshots of the BAD areas. Looking at a good area is hard to give pointers on fixing the bad areas.

Make sure you DIDN'T func_static your walls, just trims.

Visportals (when you use console to show them) basically draw out areas in the airspace of your mission. They get split by 2 things.

1: brushes. So if you have a flat wall with a wood beam running up it's middle you will get 3 vis_leafs. One across the room where the pillar is and one on each side.
basically your one room has been split into 3 parts.
If you make that beam a func_static it will be one. You will see blue lines around each airspace (visleaf). Fewer is better.

2:grid lines. The red lines on the grid every 1024(?) make vis_leafs no matter what.
--------------------------
So first you need to make sure you don't have just a few huge vis_leafs (making all walls func_static would do this).

You need the walls to block views into other areas. Lots of corners helps.

Oct 6, 2008
Thanks wil check out the portals thing on my map :)

Oct 6, 2008
I Love You!!!!!!!!

In case you don't know what they mean (I didn't until I tried it) I'm taking my torches and making them into func_details - look at all the nice blue lines disappearing !!!

http://forums.tf2maps.net/album.php?albumid=30

Last edited:

Dox

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Oct 26, 2007
Above link had no pictures :p

Oct 6, 2008
Above link had no pictures :p

yep - need to be approved by a moderator :p

I want to repeat.....

I LOVE YOU ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!:wow::wow:

When I first did the map vis took 4 days and uncomplete - now it took 1 minute!!!

Thank you so much for this portal idea!!!