A Question about Gravity....

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Hagan, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Hagan

Hagan L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Lately I've been playing around with Hammer and actually having fun with it. I made a few small maps but nothing worth posting. Ever since I started I had a really go idea for one map. The only thing tho is it requires a bit of gravity manipulation. Im pretty much try to find a way to walk on walls.

2. drp

aa drp

Positive Ratings:
    IIRC, the gravity settings is a server setting, which will obviously affect the entire map.
    But hey! Welcome to the forums :)

3. spaceweasels

aa spaceweasels

Positive Ratings:
    Try the trigger_gravity entity, it may help. I don't know for sure if it works in TF2.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2008
  4. drp

aa drp

Positive Ratings:
    oh wow. i hope this works. might finally get my moon map off the ground.

5. TheFragMan

TheFragMan L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Oh, it works. I've played around with it on one of my maps. You can actually have multiple trigger_gravity's, with different settings so you can walk from an area with high gravity to an area of low gravity. You can also make the gravity negative so when you jump you get pushed up (but then get stuck on the ceiling and can't move).

The problem with all this is, you can only affect the gravity up and down, and you can't change the orientation of the player, so, sorry, no walking on walls. Though you could play around with low gravity and trigger_push's (maybe func_push, can't remember) to try to get the effect you want.

6. drp

aa drp

Positive Ratings:
    sweet

7. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    It produces wierd effects, it will look like players are lying on a wall, kicking their legs, rather than actually walking on the wall. In portal, chell can go halfway though the ceiling before she stops so make sure you don't have any of that going on (playerclips all around!)

8. ChickenHunter

ChickenHunter L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    I also suggest the trigger_push. set it to send you upwards at low velocity so that itll send you upwards slowly when you jump and down slowly as you fall giving the feeling of low gravity. Plus you can really **** around with people by putting random gravity zones :p

9. Shmitz

aa Shmitz Old Hat

Positive Ratings:
    I'm curious whether trigger_push or trigger_vphysics_motion is more expensive for network play. Trigger_vphysics_motion is by far the more versatile of the two.

10. TheBladeRoden

TheBladeRoden L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    So to speak :D

11. Hagan

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks guys for all of your help and advice. I wasn't able to do what I wanted to. I was going for 2 things

1. I wanted to make a CP map of a planet that had the same gravity law like in Super Mario Galaxy.

2. Another CP map with a theme of a house of (unbreakable & breakable) glass. I wanted to be able to set both main spawn rooms above one another. So if you were to look up you would see the other team

again thanks

12. dirtyminuth

dirtyminuth L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    I'm not even sure you can use trigger_vphysics_motion in TF2. It's not in the drop down list for brush entities. The possible solution is to create a custom fgd with trigger_vphysics_motion in it, let Hammer know about it, and hope that TF2 can "figure it out" in game.

13. Snipergen

Snipergen L13: Stunning Member

Positive Ratings:

Hahahah so I'm not the only one who would like to try it. I would have made it but it's impossible without modding the game. Even if its possible to make you jump around a little globe, the rockets wouldn't be affected by gravity and, everything would just be too buggy to call the map a succes. :sad:

14. Hagan

Positive Ratings:
    Ya I was thinking about that as well. I was planing on making it box like in shape. That would take away the rocket problem they would just shoot out into the distance. But then, making it where the spawn wouldn't fall off the edge that is the impossible part. Hammer wont let spawns stand upside down. I just came up with another Idea to work around that tho.

more info in a bit