A Math Question

Cyberen

L3: Member
Mar 30, 2021
Say I want to create a vehicle with speeds and gears.

Speeds is represented by S. It has six values: 0, 25, 40, 55, 70, 85
Gears is represented by G. It has four values: 1, 1.41, 1.83, 2.25

If I want to output a value based on S multiplied by G, with both variables changing based on hitting triggers, how would I do it?

I already had a series of math_counters and logic_case set up to do this, but I don't know how to make S and G change independently without erasing the other value's input and affecting the result.

For instance, if I am on gear 2, and my speed changes from 40 to 25, how do I reflect that in another math counter (or another entity) without overwriting the multiplication of G? If I make the math_counter result fire an output to make G re-fire its output, won't that make an endless loop and crash the game?

S x G = V, but how?

Tiftid

the Embodiment of Scarlet Devil
aa
Sep 10, 2016
Create a new counter - we'll call this D, for "Dummy". Give counter G an OutValue output, targeting counter D, with the sent input being SetValue. This basically means that whenever the value of G changes, the value of D will become equal to the new value of G.
Now, give counter S an OutValue output, targeting counter D, with the sent input being Multiply.

Then, you need to give G an "OnGetValue D SetValue" output, and give S an "OutValue G GetValue" output, ensuring via delays that it goes off before the "OutValue D Multiply" output that we gave to counter S earlier.
That way, whenever the speed changes, it'll automatically set D equal to G, then multiply D by itself, creating a velocity value.

Finally, if you give S an "OnGetValue D Multiply" output, and give G an "OutValue S GetValue" output, whenever G changes it'll automatically multiply itself by the current S value.

This got a bit complicated, so I'll use your example of being on gear 2 and speed changing from 40 to 25 in hopes of helping to explain it.

The value of G is 1.41. It doesn't change, so G's OutValue outputs don't fire.
However, earlier G had to change from something to 1.41, so its OutValue outputs would have fired, so it would have:
1) Set D's value to 1.41
2) Grabbed the value of S, which was 40 at the time.

This would have in turn fired the OnGetValue outputs of S, so S would have multiplied the value of D by its own value, resulting in the new value of D being 56.4.
So we know D's value at this time is 56.4.

But it actually doesn't matter what D's value is, because S changing from 40 to 25 fires S's OutValue outputs, so it will:
1) Grab the value of G, which is 1.41; this causes G to reset D's value to 1.41
2) Multiply D's value by its own new value, which is 25; so the new value of D is 35.25.

Using the inverse example, where S stays at 40 but G goes from 1.41 to 1:
-G sets D to its new value, so D goes from 56.4 to 1.
-G grabs the value of S.
-S multiplies D by its current value, which is 40, so the new value of D is 40.

Box Of Paper

Jul 15, 2019
Hopefully I got your question right, if I didn't at least I hope these can guide you:

These don't use logic_case, they work with any number that you assign to S and G.

I've attached two simple system to output (OutValue) a number (V) equal to the product of two other numbers (S e G) whenever one of these two changes.

Two versions:
- The 1st instantly changes V but doesn't work if both S and G change at the same time;
- The 2nd does work, but there is a slight delay between S and G chaning and V changing.

The trick is to reset to 1 the number V and then multiply both S and G.
I've used an OnHitMax trick so that the OutValue happens only when V is ready.

Attachments

• Math 1st Ver.vmf
    2.7 KB · Views: 97
  • Math 2nd Ver.vmf
    3.3 KB · Views: 67

Cyberen

Mar 30, 2021
Thanks Box, but what does the output OnGetValue with all the dashes do?

Box Of Paper

Jul 15, 2019
Oh, it does nothing at all, you should remove it since the game processes it anyway.

I just used it to separate the OnGetValue and OutValue outputs so that it was easier to read.

Cyberen

Mar 30, 2021
@Box Of Paper Well I'm a bit of a dimwit because I tried inputting the precise values that I wanted and it didn't make the train move. Please see the attached vmf to see what I'm talking about. The leftmost math_counters and logic_cases hold the precise speed and gear values I wanted, activated by the trigger and buttons on the floor.

Attachments

• traincontrolshared.vmf
    1.7 MB · Views: 90

Box Of Paper

Jul 15, 2019
"velocity_change_counter" 's maximum legal value has to be at 3.

(
When you change either Speed or Gear, "velocity_temp" will be set to the real Velocity after exactly 3 operations:
- set to 1
- multiply speed
- multiply gear

Every time "velocity_temp" changes it adds 1 to "velocity_change_counter", and when that reaches 3 it means that all operations are done and the Velocity value is ready.

"velocity_change_counter" will then ask (getValue) "velocity_temp" to copy it's value in "velocity".

Thanks to this the math_counter "velocity" outputs with OutValue only once (and it's the correct value).
)