A custom decall problem

pi-ka

L1: Registered
Jul 23, 2017
Now, I just wanted to add decalls, but the custom ones, AND the normal ones look like black squares when I load up the map, in the editor they work correctly, but if I load them into the game they are just textured black... how can I fix this?

Egan

aa
Feb 14, 2010
I've been running it in VRAD all the time... here's a screenshot! http://imgur.com/a/Cpfib

Ya so your map is still 'fullbright' meaning the VRAD compile didn't go through (vrad is the lighting compile - there is also a map geometry compile (vbsp), and a world optimisation compile(vvis)). Optionally also restart TF2 to make sure the mat_fullbright setting resets correctly between tests.

Can you post your compile log either here or through pastebin? I suspect there is an error in the build log which would stop the map from updating correctly in-game.

pi-ka

Jul 23, 2017
Ya so your map is still 'fullbright' meaning the VRAD compile didn't go through (vrad is the lighting compile - there is also a map geometry compile (vbsp), and a world optimisation compile(vvis)). Optionally also restart TF2 to make sure the mat_fullbright setting resets correctly between tests.

Can you post your compile log either here or through pastebin? I suspect there is an error in the build log which would stop the map from updating correctly in-game.

here's the compile log! https://pastebin.com/4GreLheN but it could be that I've not placed a skybox lighting entity, I don't remember...

Egan

aa
Feb 14, 2010
Yeah it seems like VRAD isn't detecting any lighting entities - which you could use the skybox lighting or point light entities.

You may also get an error with your custom decal since the compile log is also giving the error:
KeyValues Error: LoadFromBuffer: missing { in file materials/custom map overlays/pyroshark overlay.vmt(*LightmappedGeneric*),
If the error still persists after compiling the map with lighting you should pastebin the VMT code from inside of 'materials/custom map overlays/pyroshark overlay.vmt'.

pi-ka

Jul 23, 2017
Yeah it seems like VRAD isn't detecting any lighting entities - which you could use the skybox lighting or point light entities.

You may also get an error with your custom decal since the compile log is also giving the error:

If the error still persists after compiling the map with lighting you should pastebin the VMT code from inside of 'materials/custom map overlays/pyroshark overlay.vmt'.

It worked! turns out I hadn't placed any lighting entities in the entire map... but the decals work now! (now to brighten up the rest of the map)