A custom decall problem

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by pi-ka, Jul 28, 2017.

1. pi-ka

pi-ka L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Now, I just wanted to add decalls, but the custom ones, AND the normal ones look like black squares when I load up the map, in the editor they work correctly, but if I load them into the game they are just textured black... how can I fix this?

2. Lampenpam

aa Lampenpam

Positive Ratings:
    They need to be compiled with VRAD.

3. pi-ka

Positive Ratings:
    and how do I do that?

4. Egan

aa Egan

Positive Ratings:
    to run VRAD you'd just make sure VRAD in the Run Map dialog window is set to Normal or Fast.

If the issue still persists can you show a screenshot of what the effect looks like in-game?

5. pi-ka

Positive Ratings:
    I've been running it in VRAD all the time... here's a screenshot! http://imgur.com/a/Cpfib

6. Egan

aa Egan

Positive Ratings:
    Ya so your map is still 'fullbright' meaning the VRAD compile didn't go through (vrad is the lighting compile - there is also a map geometry compile (vbsp), and a world optimisation compile(vvis)). Optionally also restart TF2 to make sure the mat_fullbright setting resets correctly between tests.

Can you post your compile log either here or through pastebin? I suspect there is an error in the build log which would stop the map from updating correctly in-game.

7. pi-ka

Positive Ratings:
    here's the compile log! https://pastebin.com/4GreLheN but it could be that I've not placed a skybox lighting entity, I don't remember...

8. Egan

aa Egan

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah it seems like VRAD isn't detecting any lighting entities - which you could use the skybox lighting or point light entities.

You may also get an error with your custom decal since the compile log is also giving the error:
    If the error still persists after compiling the map with lighting you should pastebin the VMT code from inside of 'materials/custom map overlays/pyroshark overlay.vmt'.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. pi-ka

Positive Ratings:
    It worked! turns out I hadn't placed any lighting entities in the entire map... but the decals work now! (now to brighten up the rest of the map)