3D custom Holograms

Model 3D Custom Holograms 2015-08-30

Artesia

L6: Sharp Member
Nov 11, 2008
Here's an experiment of mine, where I made all 5 lettered holograms that all use the same texture. I put more detail into the models so the models are larger in size than the basic shaped ones. I might compile and upload a version with the 3d letters (without the extra icons) if people like...

anyways, just add _artesia_X where X is the CP letter to the end of red blu and reset model in the team_control_point

note that the holograms aren't symetrical from front to back, (other than neutral and blu's A) as that would make the letter appear backwards. The letters are forward on both sides, each without a back, this causes you to see the edges of the backfacing letter as you can see in the picture. it looks worse when its still imo but if it is too much of a problem the only solution would be to remove the sides of the letters, making them 2d with a 3d logo. It's not bothering me now. take a look at it in game and let me know what you think.

Also, Red has 2 pickaxes, they may be hard to distinguish on a black background, I'll get some screens on other backgrounds soon but if you take a look at it in game let me know if they're working (can you tell what they are?)

Thanks again

Last edited by a moderator:

>8< | Spider

L1: Registered
Jun 17, 2009
Very, nice. Would you mind making an F and a G? I'm working on an 8 point CP map, and these would fit perfectly. Don't worry , I'll give you credit. :)

Artesia

Nov 11, 2008
when I get a chance I can make F and G, it wouldn't be very hard... I have a lot on my plate right now, finals, also I have a bunch of holograms I need to make... including updating these ones to fix some issues I have with them.

>8< | Spider

Jun 17, 2009
Oops =P
It was originaly an eight point but I decided a seven point would fit better. So yes, only F and G. Sorry for any confusion. >.<

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
Your RED models aren't very readable, even at close distance

Though your BLU and neutral look awesome

Artesia

Nov 11, 2008
I know icarus legibility of red was the main issue with this model. I was thinking I'd make the letters a bit larger and thicker, also make them a lighter value of red, and the pick axe handles a bit darker. Thats what I have planned to try and fix it.

Buck

Jun 9, 2009
Loving them, red ones do seem bit messy, would probably need total reworking cause the pickaxes dont really fit for it at all :/ maybe the skull from tfc for red ?

Artesia

Nov 11, 2008
um, skulls? This isn't quake... :p

It also isn't TFC, which had a different art style, it was basically half-life

I chose pick-axes because of the mining theme of my map, I wanted to add things like that to draw the eye away from the edges of the letters when they are turned 90 degrees from the player. Blu already has an icon of the wrench, so I had to choose something for red as nothing exists currently... One thought I had after this version was finished was to do Axes, as they might be easier to recognize. Also the texture on the pickaxe was rather rushed... and it needs to be redone reguardless.

So, for the next version, an impromptu vote:

A) Refine and Retexture the Pick Axe
B) Replace Pickaxes with Standard Axes (possibly one axe and a log?)
C) Replace with something else, please specify what you would suggest, keeping in mind that it needs to fit TF2

also, it is on my plate to release an alternate version that has the TF2 logo for all 3 colors, which was requested, but will not replace this version as I feel it wouldn't have as much variety.

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
Make it a bomb. It's been on pretty much every RED logo as the Wrench was on BLU logos

Artesia

Nov 11, 2008
bomb... could work, I don't recall seeing it anywhere, can you post a screen of the logo or give me a material name to look at?

Artesia

Nov 11, 2008
yeah that could work, Opinion on using that bomb on one side, and a bundle of dynamite on the other? or should I just use 2 bombs?