2street

CTF 2street Alpha 5 rev. B

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Still kind of stuck for what all ought to be improved in this map, but for now I've gone ahead and done something I'd been meaning to do for a while: I added an alley and an extra room between the spawn room and the stairs down to the intel, and made that alley the way out onto the street on the left. It's still not super well protected against spawncamping, and in particular I had to put a respawn visualizer right at the very entrance to the alley. I dunno. I feel like I'm starting to get...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Pocket

aa
Nov 14, 2009
Right. So, after a lot of thought and research, I've got yet another complete redo lined up. First of all, I'm going back to my original scale. Right now it's like, what, 1½ times as big as it was originally, and that was mainly to accommodate the wider streets that I thought I needed — surely even one-lane streets need room for parallel parking, right? But in my desperation for reference material I finally just punched "narrow streets europe" into Google Images and got a much better idea of just what I'm trying to replicate. Turns out I was thinking too much like an American; the kind of streets I was aiming to replicate would be more akin to an alley over here, except that maybe, maybe you could actually drive a car through them and not run people over. But they're mostly meant for pedestrian traffic.

I've also decided that there's just no way to make those damn sewers work, as much as I liked them, so they're going away along with the open manholes. And with those out of the way, I realized I had the whole northwest/southwest quadrant to expand my bases into. Here's a basic mockup of what I might be doing:

dBP7KC3.jpg

The other thing you can see is that I'm thinking of removing the alleys that ran from the first bend in the street into a stairway, upper room, and elevated walkway — especially now that there's less room for them — and instead focusing on people who, for whatever reason, try to jump down from the bridge and follow the "wrong" road. I want to give them some place to go besides follow the street, because the whole point of this layout was to funnel the teams down their own paths and create fewer confrontations in the middle zone, so more would survive the trip to the intel. Putting an alley there would leave too narrow a space for a plausible building, so my thought is to send them into the building and then... I'm not sure. If you have any suggestions I'd love to hear them.

Pocket

aa
Nov 14, 2009
Okay, so starting again, the same way. S, more different S.

The eponymous streets have been retrieved from an earlier alpha when they were still only one lane wide; everything else has been rebuilt from scratch.

20160719025409_1.jpg

GONE are the crossroads and the sewers they led to; instead we have a simple two-lane road with two alleys leading out from spawn in opposite directions.

20160719025347_1.jpg

Speaking of the spawn, here it is! Note the downward staircase at right; this intersects with one of the routes to the intel room.

20160719025321_1.jpg

Due to a gross miscalculation of scale, the intel room has been sunken further down to accommodate the main road. It is located a longer distance behind the garage rather than off to the right. I might make this more complex if need be; I have unlimited room in both directions now that the sewers are gone!

20160719025442_1.jpg

The alleyway branching off from the road to the garage is gone, replaced with an alleyway branching off from the other road to tempt anyone who thought they'd pull a fast one and go what is essentially the wrong way. It leads directly into the leftmost doorway in the above shot. This means all routes to the intel are now funneled through the garage, which I'm not 100% comfortable with, but we'll see how it plays out.

Pocket

aa
Nov 14, 2009
Minor update; it just occurred to me that I once again forgot to add the pickups. Took the opportunity to throw in some (superfluous, at this point) optimization, un-smooth the 45-degree corners, and not pack the unused model skins.