2fort Revamp

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
B3 released. Hopefully the filesize changes will get rid of a possible roadblock to adoption.

Thingy Person

L1: Registered
Sep 6, 2009
B3 released. Hopefully the filesize changes will get rid of a possible roadblock to adoption.

Adoption by whom? Not the hundreds of 24/7 2fort servers, because the players there love the map because it's a deathmatch. Snipers, spies, soldiers and demomen alike can have some random fragging practice while pyros, engineers and medics learn the game. For the server owners who like balanced maps, why would they install a modification of 2fort, which they've likely entirely abolished, rather than a whole new map, aside from the "wow" effect of playing on an acceptable version of 2fort?

lockitup

L2: Junior Member
Nov 15, 2009
Adoption by whom? Not the hundreds of 24/7 2fort servers, because the players there love the map because it's a deathmatch. Snipers, spies, soldiers and demomen alike can have some random fragging practice while pyros, engineers and medics learn the game. For the server owners who like balanced maps, why would they install a modification of 2fort, which they've likely entirely abolished, rather than a whole new map, aside from the "wow" effect of playing on an acceptable version of 2fort?

Because there are about 40 active 2fort modded servers, and none of them run the best one which is revamp.

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
Holy shit. I just found out today that according to Tf2Stats.net, ctf_2fort_revamp_1 is in the top 20 for most-played CTF maps...

...Except someone simply renamed it ctf_2fort_freak. I only found out because a youtube commenter suggested that I plagarized from it.

Bleh!

Last edited:

Tinker

aa
Oct 30, 2008
Contact the person who did that and the server, even though it's "just" a 2fort alteration, it's still plagiarism.

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
I did, although their response seems to be "It's popular on our servers. You should be grateful we renamed or it'd languish in obscurity".

I'll just have to put on my pith helmet and observe the natives in their primitive B1 environment in order to make B4 better ;)

ParanoidDrone

L3: Member
Feb 19, 2009
I did, although their response seems to be "It's popular on our servers. You should be grateful we renamed or it'd languish in obscurity".

I'll just have to put on my pith helmet and observe the natives in their primitive B1 environment in order to make B4 better ;)

Pardon my French, but I'm pretty sure that's bullshit. </obvious> Why would renaming it increase its popularity?

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
Pardon my French, but I'm pretty sure that's bullshit. </obvious> Why would renaming it increase its popularity?

Quote from registration-required forum:

We loaded the map and no one played on it for weeks.. We were just about to discontinue using it on our servers when we changed the server name to freak... This was probably shortly after you released it I believe we've had this server running the map since the end of last summer.. The server filled within an hour, there was such demand we put up a second server.

It's funny what a simple name change can do for the popularity of a map.. I think your map is great! I like both versions of it! If you make anymore we would love to try them out and host them!

I think we are the only community that has your map on 24/7 , that alone on 2 servers.

So not exactly "I owe them", but "it was for a good cause"? I dunno.

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
OK, seriously, would renaming it ctf_teufort be a good or bad idea?

I mean, it's changed a lot and I hope to change it even more...

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
Purely by chance, I refreshed my server browser and saw an instance of ctf_2fort_freak, and it seems some folks were just setting it up. I explained my predicament.

Apparently, and this is hearsay, the same folks who renamed my version it to ctf_2fort_freak had tried to force these other guys to stop running the map by sending (ineffective) "that's our copyrighted material!" letters to their server host. WTF?

Anyway, I'll be buried in a programming thing until the 27th at the earliest, but some planned changes for B4:

• Re-do the escape drop so that most of it does not involve being underwater, or find some way to increase the visibility within it, especially for people as they exit into the sewer. (So maybe just a splash pool and then some wading?)

I think I need to somehow make it a slower route, but at the same time make it less "trap-like" for escapees when defenders are lying in wait.
  • The boxes/keg outside red/blu spawn need to be revisited for style and effect, although I like the fact that it provides a bit of an ambushing place for enemies to hide in.
  • Should I really rename it Teufort at this point? Is it just an invitation to confusion as people write "tuefort" instead?
  • Having some second-thoughts about the main spawn arrangement. Splitting the doors was meant to help reduce the number of enemies you'd encounter entering from the balcony, but...

Last edited:

Krowbar

L1: Registered
May 8, 2010
So hey, regardless of all the shenanigans of people using your map, I really wanted to give it a go. Unfortunately, all the mirrors provided at FPS Banana are not available (either 404'd or the domain was repossessed). Any chance you could upload it again on another site? Thanks. Also, love your site. PackBSP is the bomb!

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
No, I didn't intend to take it down, FPSBanana just decided to break everything with some sort of site redesign.

I'll see about self-hosting it, since enough folks have complained about FPSBanana in the past.

I have a slightly newer version in the works, but it still needs a lot of work. Two major things that come to mind:
  • The water-route has some negative feedback in terms of being too dangerous, and TF2 doesn't work that great with underwater stuff anyway, so I may re-route it or make it shallower somehow.
  • The Engineer update occurred, introducing the wrangler and changing a lot of my assumptions and plans for lines-of-sight and detection distances.

I have the full notes somewhere else but can't seem to find them.

Last edited:

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
I fixed the link, but FpsBanana's mirror system is still borked, so there's a back-up download available now.