1. Hey Guest, welcome to the new forums. Be sure to check out this thread to get all the information you need on the cool new stuff!
  2. If the download for the map you're looking at isn't here, try checking the archives over at: The Archived Forum

KotH wubwubwub

Discussion in 'Map Factory' started by Crash, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Thanks Received:
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2015 at 11:21 PM
  2. puxorb

aa puxorb

Thanks Received:
    This was by far my favorite of all the Jokemaps.

Crash thanked this.
  3. Sergis

aa Sergis L666: ])oo]v[

Thanks Received:
    when the skybox tilted i first thought we were about to fly around ctf convoy style

4. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Thanks Received:
    Discovering it wasn't possible to parent the skybox_camera was the most disappointing part of working on this project. Map was gonna get crazy.

Er.

Crazier.

5. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR I do things sometimes.

Thanks Received:
    Skybox doesn't move in convoy, it uses particle effects and animated textures along with parented props to appear that it's moving.

6. Bludeck

Bludeck L1: Registered

Thanks Received:
    This is one of the most epic maps I have ever played, maybe even the best. Well played.

Crash thanked this.
  7. xzzy

aa xzzy

Thanks Received:
    It's still a huge shame the skybox_camera supports absolutely no inputs or outputs, or as Crash mentioned, parenting. There's probably some engine related reason for it but it would be much more fun to make insane maps if you could move the entity around the map.

Fortunately it's relatively easy to make whatever illusion you want with a func_brush in the skybox.

8. LeSwordfish

aa LeSwordfish semi-trained quasi-professional

Thanks Received:
    I wonder if it can be moved with that position-match entity, the one used in the chairman race.

9. gasolinebased

gasolinebased L1: Registered

Thanks Received:
    Awesome, awesome awesome, very creative and very distorting ^^

Crash thanked this.
  10. sevin

sevin L7: Fancy Member

Thanks Received:
    Doesn't the sky_camera only control where your 3d skybox is rendered though? Why would you want to move that?

11. Berry

aa Berry L: Shooting Star

Thanks Received:
    For the part when the ground flips and you fly off into space. It could rotate, then push away.

12. xzzy

aa xzzy

Thanks Received:
    Because the entity functions as the point of reference for the 3d skybox. So if you move that entity, the skybox will appear to move from the perspective of the players.

13. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Thanks Received:
    If I recall, the beginning of Portal 2 uses a moving sky_camera or something similar to achieve the swinging box effect.

That concept is what gave me the idea for this, but when I found out I couldn't parent it, I scaled the idea down some and moved a fake skybox around it.

I'm not completely happy with how the fake skybox ended up looking, I had issues with the lighting/ sky texture that I didn't have time to fix, but it did it's job and feels pretty disorienting.

14. UKCS-Alias

aa UKCS-Alias Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?

Thanks Received:
    I had the idea that the map lacks particle effects to make even more flashing effects or other visual spam (although at first its already such visual spam that you wont even notice that).

Other than that, its already a perfect joke map.

15. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I totally planned on doing a lot more particle effects but just tan out of time. I wish I had started it like two weeks earlier.

16. RubbishyUser

aa RubbishyUser

Thanks Received:
    The best.

EDIT: Sorry, mispelled. I meant to put BASIEST
    wubwubwubwubwbuwubwubwuwbwubwbuwbuwubbuwubwubwubwubwub.

Seriously though, will unsubscribe if you you do not continue this till rc11. I personally think just the original premise is better than trainsawlaser

Crash thanked this.
  17. Bakscratch

aa Bakscratch

Thanks Received:
    Yo dawg were da trck list at yo #heavybeats

Yacan1 thanked this.
  18. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Thanks Received:
    I was really unorganized while editing the audio so I don't have all of it on hand (I took some of it from a few big dubstep compilation videos) but I do plan on sitting down and trying to get a full tracklist soon.

19. UKCS-Alias

aa UKCS-Alias Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
  20. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Thanks Received:
    They haven't had a problem with "I would if I could... BITCH" yet? :)

I'll keep it in mind but it might not quite fit the feel I need for the map. That one is more vocal based whereas I'm trying to key off the music itself.